• Quick Navigation
Photo

Should a bald food handler wear a hairnet?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Esther

• IFSQN Member
  • 232 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain
  • Interests:Local and international food law; food industrial processes; food safety management systems;GMP; lean manufacturing; share knowledge

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:17 AM

Hello all

Should or not a bald food handler wear a hairnat or head covering ?

Some of local authorities are requiring this to the chefs.

Regulations do not mention this posibility, I mean, food handlers being bald so it is said: " food handlers must wear hearnet".

Some other experiences, is there a conclusive answer?

Best regards

Esther

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:27 PM

Dear Esther,

If the food handler has not even a single hair on his head (no dandruff, no visible skin infections) then IMO there would be no need for a head gear.

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:18 PM

I disagree. The head covering (e.g. mobcap) should cover the ears ideally as well and so stops the food handler from touching the ears. Also, it becomes difficult with getting everyone to stick to the rules. One rule for all I say!

Thanked by 1 Member:

okido

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 205 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:29 PM

Hi Esther,

I agree with GMO, one rule for all fits all in this case.

Have a nice day, Okido

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:29 PM

Yes, I agree one rule for all? My opinion was after considering any probability for contamination from the hair.

What is solution for the eye lashes / eye brows and moustaches which tend to contaminate when a person rubs eyes or face. Just a thought.

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:33 AM

Dear Esther,

Yr questions are invariably tricky.

:off_topic:

What is yr opinion on jewelry ?? :whistle:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Anie

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 26 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:36 AM

From the probability of contamination from hair, I agree with Jean. Also I agree on one rule for all.
For moustaches if the company policy is to have all associates clean shaved,it can be solved.But I always thought for a solution we can have for eyelashes/eyebrows.
Even I had difficulty in explaning to my associates when they asked the same question to me.
Any good reply for this?

Regards
Anie

YongYM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 231 posts
  • 57 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Reading, Watching TV, Singing Karaoke & Sight-seeing

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:51 AM

Dear Esther:

Someone told me the key word of 'standardization'. For example, in the processing area with 10 workers and one of them is a bald. Nine are wearing protective caps except the bald. So, why not standardise your procedure to ask all of them to wear the caps.

Any other comment from the rest?

Yong

Ynci

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Germany
    Germany
  • Interests:BRC/IoP; EN 15593; ISO 22000; ISO 9001; FEFCO; HACCP<br />Food safety management systems

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:16 AM

Hi Esther,

the human scalp harbours about 1.500.000 bacteria per cm². The head covering is not only there to prevent hair falling into the product but also to create a barrier between one of the most microbiologically populated surfaces of the human organism and the environment (eg. the touching/scratching hand).

Also - how would you deal with those wanna-be Bruce Willis characters who shave their scalp, but not necessarily regularly? Are they bald or not?

Best regards from Germany

Thanked by 1 Member:

a_andhika

Generally Recognized As Sane

• IFSQN Senior
  • 338 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia
  • Interests:Manga, Comics, Anime, Epic & High-tech Movies, Video Games, and CSI stuffs

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:15 AM

Yes, I agree one rule for all? My opinion was after considering any probability for contamination from the hair. What is solution for the eye lashes / eye brows and moustaches which tend to contaminate when a person rubs eyes or face. Just a thought.

Dear Jean,

One of the most effective way to prevent the moustaches or beard fallen to our food is by shave it. However, I guess not everyone is willing to shave their moustache and beard (beliefs is the most resolute reason). So IMO, the effective way is to cover it by using masker, that can fully cover moustache and beard.

About the eye lashes/brows.. I think the probability for that part of ours to fall and contaminate our products is very low, and I dont think it will cause a high severity... But just in case, if your product is highly sensitive to microbial growth, then I recommend to use the protective goggles (but I think this is more appropriate for the pharmaceutical).

As for the rubbing and touching our bodies... I guess its obviously not allowed, its a mandatory needs from GMP. Thats why we make compulsory thing such as wearing gloves when contact to foods, and I guess no one willing to rub their eyes when using gloves.

To Esther: I think it would be churlish if we apply "Double Standard" on a food factory. It will create amusing atmosphere, and all the employee will scrutinize every single "space" in our system to break free from GMP rules.

Regards,

Arya

IF
safety and quality means perfection
AND
nobody's perfect
THEN
why should I bother?

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 24 July 2008 - 01:23 PM

Dear Jean,

One of the most effective way to prevent the moustaches or beard fallen to our food is by shave it. However, I guess not everyone is willing to shave their moustache and beard (beliefs is the most resolute reason). So IMO, the effective way is to cover it by using masker, that can fully cover moustache and beard.

About the eye lashes/brows.. I think the probability for that part of ours to fall and contaminate our products is very low, and I dont think it will cause a high severity... But just in case, if your product is highly sensitive to microbial growth, then I recommend to use the protective goggles (but I think this is more appropriate for the pharmaceutical).

As for the rubbing and touching our bodies... I guess its obviously not allowed, its a mandatory needs from GMP. Thats why we make compulsory thing such as wearing gloves when contact to foods, and I guess no one willing to rub their eyes when using gloves.

To Esther: I think it would be churlish if we apply "Double Standard" on a food factory. It will create amusing atmosphere, and all the employee will scrutinize every single "space" in our system to break free from GMP rules.

Regards,

Arya

Dear Jean,

Regards,

Arya

Dear Arya,

Thanks for your feedback. We do not recruit any food handler with a beard and it is clearly stated that moustaches should be trimmed or preferably the person has to be clean shaven and clean uniform with head gears to be worn etc… to avoid any chance of contamination.

Any facial hair (including eyelashes and eye brows) is like any hair and not forgetting the hair from the nose which can fall in and is inevitable. But here we have to consider the risk and I have not heard of any hair in food leading to food borne disease either. The use of masks would be ideal and relevant in a pharmaceutical or manufacturing industry.

The skin has 2 kinds of micro-organisms namely resident and transient. It is not possible to remove all the resident organisms by a hand wash and most of the resident flora does not cause any illness. S. aureus is the only one which can cause food poisoning. Most of the healthy individuals do not have S. aureus on their skin (until the skin is damaged or bruised and mostly found in the anterior the nose) and S.epidermidis is the one found in large numbers. It is generally considered safe to consume 1000 S. aureus per gram of food and it requires 1 million per gram to result in sufficient amount of exotoxins to produce the illness.

I agree rubbing or touching any part of the body during food handling is not allowed and has to be followed by a hand wash. But, I do not agree to the point, that wearing gloves will avoid / reduce the contamination. Gloves can lead to contamination if the person handles several things and does not change it frequently. There are chances for gloves to have pin holes or any defects which can allow micro-organisms from the hands to come onto the glove surface and can result in contamination. The hand washing frequency during wearing gloves will be less compared to bare hands as the staffs do not feel their hands are soiled or dirty. Hand washing is more important and yes, before and after wearing gloves. People can still rub their eyes with their hands while wearing gloves (not with their palms) and it is a normal instinct. That’s the reason why we train staff on good handling and hygiene practices at work.

Edited by Jean, 25 July 2008 - 06:33 AM.

Best regards,

J

rita

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:53 AM

Hi!

I agree with Jean with regards to the gloves. Ater all we need to look at the significant hazard and one rule for all. A clear policy should be stated and avoid any confusions later.

rita

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:31 AM

Training, training and training always is important for all food handlers and is an important control measure for any issue.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 July 2008 - 11:02 AM

Hello all

Should or not a bald food handler wear a hairnat or head covering ?

Some of local authorities are requiring this to the chefs.

Regulations do not mention this posibility, I mean, food handlers being bald so it is said: " food handlers must wear hearnet".

Some other experiences, is there a conclusive answer?

Best regards

Esther

As an aid, Tesco's COP states that single use hair covering should be worn by all staff in production areas.

c x

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 28 July 2008 - 01:53 AM

Dont forget to provide some Actual data to food handler.. especially Micro data..if they dont folow the rule.. in my company now.. we always provide the data ( personnel and room hygiene, foreign matterials in strainer etc).. every month at the Review of monitoring meeting.. so... people know what happens and what shoud they to do to minimize Potential of contamination in Food Process area...

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:22 PM

Dear All,

Here is a fairly comprehensive solution. I guess the eyebrows will require a full space gear. Can be found.

Posted Image

Slightly overkill perhaps ?? Certainly not routinely seen in fast-food outlets IMEX.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

sheeja

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:28 AM

Also we have to think about the sweat, they have a tendency to touch & wipe it.
I agree with the policy that everybody has to wear the hairnet.

thanks
Sheeja :clap:

Jozee

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:43 AM

Hi Esther,

Although there is no definitive ruling for this, a number of retailer and manufacturing standards state that head covring should cover the ears. This is good practice throughout the food industry. If this is the case, the bald person should wear head covering.

I hope this helps.
Jozee

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:43 AM

Jozee - I am afraid even a bald chap may cross contaminate ingredients on foods from scalp disease or dandruff problems. Hmmm! I wonder what's the targeted micros in this case.

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 01 August 2008 - 08:46 AM

Slightly overkill perhaps ?? Certainly not routinely seen in fast-food outlets IMEX.

Rgds / Charles.C

The picture appears to show a prawn processing environment and if so, I can imagine the product sensitivity is certainly more demanding than those of fast-food outlets really.

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 August 2008 - 10:59 AM

The picture appears to show a prawn processing environment and if so, I can imagine the product sensitivity is certainly more demanding than those of fast-food outlets really.

The fact is that catering premises have far higher risks than food processors but somehow manage to get away with lower standards of personal hygiene. I think it's because the direct customers (i.e. us) don't demand better! Imagine if MacDonalds were supplying tesco with ready to eat foods!

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:07 AM

True but fast food have much much shorter shelf life and packaging /storage environment for frozen/canned; cooked/uncooked etc have totally different considerations. Catering again is another story.

I have no experience in the UK on out-door catering but are foods served on single-use paper plates or ceramics!

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 04 August 2008 - 10:18 AM

True but fast food have much much shorter shelf life and packaging /storage environment for frozen/canned; cooked/uncooked etc have totally different considerations. Catering again is another story.

I have no experience in the UK on out-door catering but are foods served on single-use paper plates or ceramics!

Not ceramics. More likely to be paper plates or disposable items like napkins, paper etc. Unfortunately we don't get fish and chips in newspaper these days. :thumbdown: Don't know why it's environmentally friendly and tastes great. :thumbup:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:29 PM

Yep but just because something has a short shelf life, doesn't mean that getting hair in it isn't a problem. It bugs me that macdonald's staff just wear baseball caps but they expect their suppliers to have full high risk or high care (including the wearing of mob caps!)

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:18 PM

Yep but just because something has a short shelf life, doesn't mean that getting hair in it isn't a problem. It bugs me that macdonald's staff just wear baseball caps but they expect their suppliers to have full high risk or high care (including the wearing of mob caps!)

The supermarkets are just as bad........ pity they don't practice what they preach!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users