• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 August 2008 - 02:34 PM

Hi all,

I'm a consultant working in the flexible packaging industry and have just been asked to Lead a HACCP team towards compliance with the new BRC/IOP standard.

All new to me, just had some provisional training in HACCP and will undoubtedly be asked for advice in the coming weeks.

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,797 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:25 PM

If you're going to have to lead a HACCP team, I'd definitely get the intermediate qualification first (or whatever the equivalent number is now) or otherwise you're bound to get tied up in knots.

I have to admit I didn't know that primary packaging suppliers were starting to use HACCP. I suppose it makes sense as primary packaging is effectively like an ingredient in a process as it touches the food; it can also carry food safety information (particularly on allergens). I would still suspect though that more of the controls you need are around quality rather than food safety.

MartLgn

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 155 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:45 PM

Hi JBW and :welcome: to the forums.

I was until recently the HACCP team leader in a large packaging plant and would agree with GMO's suggestion that you get yourself on a Level 2 HACCP course at the first opportunity. If I remember correctly Version 5 of the BRC/IOP standard is the first one to explicitly name HACCP as a requirement as opposed to a more generic Hazard Analysis system mentioned in previous editions. The trick when applying HACCP to a packaging production process is to get your prerequisite programmes working robustly as there are usually very few if any CCP's within flexible packaging production.

Im back in the food sector now so I'd be glad to offload some of this darn HACCP for packaging experience thats taking up room amongst the grey matter so give us a shout if I can offer any help.

Why put off until tomorrow that which you can avoid doing altogether ?

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:54 PM

Hi JBW and :welcome: to the forums.

I was until recently the HACCP team leader in a large packaging plant and would agree with GMO's suggestion that you get yourself on a Level 2 HACCP course at the first opportunity. If I remember correctly Version 5 of the BRC/IOP standard is the first one to explicitly name HACCP as a requirement as opposed to a more generic Hazard Analysis system mentioned in previous editions. The trick when applying HACCP to a packaging production process is to get your prerequisite programmes working robustly as there are usually very few if any CCP's within flexible packaging production.

Im back in the food sector now so I'd be glad to offload some of this darn HACCP for packaging experience thats taking up room amongst the grey matter so give us a shout if I can offer any help.

Hello Mart! LTNS

You can see that you've crossed over to the dark side to us foodies......we're on version 5 of the BRC......the BRC/IOP is on version 3!

Hope your enjoying being with us, i'm sure your enjoying the differences.

c x

mrhygiene

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:29 AM

dont worry it will be easy not a lot of paper headach like normal food industry papers .
but i advice you to have a little project managment rerading it will help too.
or use any easy few pages project managment hand book.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users