Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 135 posts
  • 19 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:43 AM

I recently bought a copy of the BRC standard in the Spanish version; one of my clients wants to have a course of a Management System based on that Standard.

When I was reviewing the requirements, I notice this:

- Most of the important terminology wasn’t well translated: e.g. the word “hazard” was translated “riesgo” that in English is risk. The correct translation is “peligro” as everyone can see in the Codex and in ISO-22000. Other important word was the translation of “Food Safety” in the BRC standard is “Seguridad de los Alimentos” and that really means “Food Security” in the FAO and international terminology. This is a good example of the importance of working with Technical Groups, including translations activities.

- There is a requirement (3.8) and it’s about Corrective and preventive Actions. In that section the word “preventive” is mentioned only in the title and the definition of “Preventive Action” is not included in the Glossary (Annex 7). You can’t find any reference about “preventive Actions” in the entire Standard. Only in the title!!! So, there is no requirement about it, but it is still “included”.

- The standard has a requirement about the “revision Process” that seems similar to Management Review (1.7) that “process” only has inputs… (no outputs) as all “processes” have.

- The definition of “Validation” is the same used in ISO-9000:2005 and not the used in ISO-22000 which specific for food safety.

- The section about “management of incidents” it’s really good (3.11).

Does anyone have an idea about permissible exclusions, like Design and development, purchasing, etc.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:59 PM

I recently bought a copy of the BRC standard in the Spanish version; one of my clients wants to have a course of a Management System based on that Standard.

When I was reviewing the requirements, I notice this:

- Most of the important terminology wasn’t well translated: e.g. the word “hazard” was translated “riesgo” that in English is risk. The correct translation is “peligro” as everyone can see in the Codex and in ISO-22000. Other important word was the translation of “Food Safety” in the BRC standard is “Seguridad de los Alimentos” and that really means “Food Security” in the FAO and international terminology. This is a good example of the importance of working with Technical Groups, including translations activities.

- There is a requirement (3.8) and it’s about Corrective and preventive Actions. In that section the word “preventive” is mentioned only in the title and the definition of “Preventive Action” is not included in the Glossary (Annex 7). You can’t find any reference about “preventive Actions” in the entire Standard. Only in the title!!! So, there is no requirement about it, but it is still “included”.

- The standard has a requirement about the “revision Process” that seems similar to Management Review (1.7) that “process” only has inputs… (no outputs) as all “processes” have.

- The definition of “Validation” is the same used in ISO-9000:2005 and not the used in ISO-22000 which specific for food safety.

- The section about “management of incidents” it’s really good (3.11).

Does anyone have an idea about permissible exclusions, like Design and development, purchasing, etc.

I'm sure the BRC would be very interested to hear your comments Erasmo (maybe you can get a job on the next revision). The danger with a poor translation, especially of something so important is every single word must be precise, one wrong word and the intent is lost. Very dangerous.

Can anyone help Erasmo with his question:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:57 AM

Dear Erasmo,

Regret unable to assist translation queries but I would like to thank you for yr very informative post.

Now I know a little more than Hasta la Vista, baby! and Gaoooooool! :thumbup:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Erasmo

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 135 posts
  • 19 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 02 September 2008 - 01:09 PM

Section 4.1 mentioned something about “applicable exclusions”. But I can’t find in the document what clauses or requirements of this standard can be excluded. I’m assuming that Design and Development, Purchasing, and others… But I’m not sure. Does anybody knows?

MRios

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 157 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Guatemala
    Guatemala

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:54 PM

Erasmo, how do you translate Food Safety and Food Security?
And what is the difference? It just gets really difficult when I´m trying to translate and I don´t really get the point.
The term " Seguridad Alimentaria" in my country has become political and refers to being able to provide the general population with the nutrients they need. I don´t know if that´s the case in Mexico too?
Thanks for your help.

Edited by MRios, 05 March 2009 - 03:02 PM.

excellens

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 24 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Dominican Republic
    Dominican Republic

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:07 PM

MRios,

In Dominican Republic, happens exactly the same. "Seguridad Alimentaria" as they're using it, technically, does not mean what they're trying to say. If you check the english terms you'll find

Food Safety= Inocuidad Alimentaria Food security= Seguridad Alimentaria

But Food Security refers to bioterrorism and product protection, not to food supply.

Regards

Horacio

Thanked by 1 Member:

MRios

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 157 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Guatemala
    Guatemala

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:07 AM

Thanks Excellens. So I guess there´s no exact translation for Food Security so far.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users