• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Portugal
    Portugal

Posted 21 August 2008 - 11:00 AM

Hello,

Can anyone explain to me the 1st point of this BRC requirement: "Approved purchase"???

I have been an audit (not BRC) and the auditor said tha I need to approved the chemicals to be use... (I work in a food industry, and the chemical are from Diversey, we have all MSDS and are food approved).

The "Approved purchase" we request to Diversey, or we approved internally?

PLEASE HELP ME....

Many thanks,
Filipa

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:39 AM

I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly but this is how I would interpret it.

'Approving' could take three different parts:

You could approve Diversey as a supplier and this would be around how they manufacture the chemicals and assure they're food safe. You might be able to work this out from a questionnaire or you might need to audit their process. For the auditor, I would show them the questionnaire with my assessment of the risk or audit.

You then chose chemicals from this supplier and chose your process to minimise the risk from them, e.g. some food safe chemicals still need rinsing after use. For the auditor, I would show them the specifications of the chemicals I have chosen along with the cleaning instructions specifying a rinse stage or any other specific requirements.

The third control of 'approval' is your acceptance onto site. Who are the chemicals delivered to and how do they ensure they're right? In most places I have worked, I have had an intake check to ensure the product or chemical is right, delivered in the right format and in a hygienic way.

I hope that helps - note with chemicals from a health and safety point of view, you need a COSHH assessment not just an MSDS and also from a BRC point of view (and it's best practice) chemicals should be locked away when not in use and only accessable by trained personnel who need to access it.

filipa

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 42 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Portugal
    Portugal

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:42 AM

Dear GMO,

Many thanks for your reply... It was very useful... :clap:

We have a procedure tha covers:
- Cleaning Instructions for each equipment (products, quantity, method, frequency, responsibility)
- MSDS data sheets for all products and labels;
- Diversey Lever is a supplier approved;
- All the chemicals are checked when arrives and recorded;
- Chemicals are stored in a locked area and with restrict access.

As I understand, I need to have a list of all the chemicals autorized... I thik that we can signed the MSDS in signal that we approved the chemical, and elaborate a list off all the chemicals approved. It is correct??

Filipa

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:16 AM

Dear Filipa,

One never knows with BRC since they are always trying to be “innovative” hence the advantage of pre-inspections especially when so many changes are occurring. O lucky auditors !

IMEX, “approved” as appearing in the phrase “approved chemicals” is similar to GMO’s comments. Basically means “authorised” as suitable for the purpose, eg declared / documented to be food-grade, reagent grade whatever by the manufacturer / other official body (or perhaps considered to be GRAS). The opposite scenario is equally important since this BRC clause specificly refers to “non-food chemicals” and already includes some of the previous posted points made.

Another possibility is that BRC are borrowing some more ISO-speak where “approved purchases” can mean bought via a properly documented purchase procedure, eg approved purchase contract / approved signatures etc. This should theoretically be covered already in the earlier supplier approval section but maybe they are clevely thinking people might overlook some random chemicals >> 2 nonconformances for the price of 1. Such errors have been known to occur.! :smile:

I await the correct interpretation with interest.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

rita

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 23 August 2008 - 03:05 PM

I hope that helps - note with chemicals from a health and safety point of view, you need a COSHH assessment not just an MSDS and also from a BRC point of view (and it's best practice) chemicals should be locked away when not in use and only accessable by trained personnel who need to access it.

Sorry for my ignorance, what is COSHH? I believe HH stands for health hazard.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:08 PM