• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 September 2008 - 12:36 PM

Good morning,
I am helping my company pursue BRC certification at 2 of our facilities. In documenting the programs, a discussion as arisen regarding the requirements for 4.8.4.2.
For the list of items, would it be acceptable to utilize a map with a legend? My thoughts are that an engineering drawing of the area with locations noted and a legend describing the type of material at each location would offer much greater clarity. Text descriptions are subjective and can get wordy.

Thanks all,
Ed

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:00 PM

Hi Ed

I use a "map" of each machine to act as an aide memoire.
But you also have to risk assess your glass, so i use this map to show where the glass / plastic or ceramic is.

i also have one for risk assessing potential foreign bodies on each machine.

c x

Edited by Charles.C, 11 March 2015 - 10:33 AM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 September 2008 - 04:17 PM

Dear Ed,

Welcome to the forum ! :welcome:

The BRC standard sadly includes the word "list" so I fear this is auditor-definitive although you are correct, things starts to get wordy.
The BRC hv considerably expanded some topics inc. this one, possibly due to an existence of real data or. more likely, their determination to provide maximum back coverage. ;)

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:15 PM

Good morning,
I am helping my company pursue BRC certification at 2 of our facilities. In documenting the programs, a discussion as arisen regarding the requirements for 4.8.4.2.
For the list of items, would it be acceptable to utilize a map with a legend? My thoughts are that an engineering drawing of the area with locations noted and a legend describing the type of material at each location would offer much greater clarity. Text descriptions are subjective and can get wordy.

Thanks all,
Ed

Sounds good to me Ed. A picture paints a thousand words. Then you just have to decide how often you check the integrity of each item. Like Caz said frequency should be based on risk assessment. I always advise that anything on or around the manufacturing / packing area with open or exposed product the check should be built into production order or shift start up procedures and carried out by operators.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

LynA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:49 AM

:welcome:

We here goes for my first reply.

For a long time we relyed on a list which only the originator(me)could follow, this took the best part of a day to complete and was an ordeal, for the last 2 years we have divided our large factory into small manageable areas, each area risk assessed and categorised 'A' high risk checked at the start of every shift, 'B' medium risk checked monthly and 'C' low risk checked 6 monthly, it takes the form of a very simple plan with numbered points, together with a numbered list, see attachment, this has made such a difference now the shift auditors carry this out adding it effortlessly into their duties, together with our comprehensive breakage reporting and clean up procedure we feel this is well covered. However there is always room for improvement, any suggestions.

Attached Files

• muncher likes this

Thanked by 14 Members:
Greenways222 , Jamilch , dsh , Puvanes Ramakrisna Rao , Ehab Nassar , chu lin , Charles.C , Labucknall , it_rains_inside , jtrue , LoredanaM , TonyM , Conny DK , Dachie Girl

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:50 AM

Looks great Lyn, nice and simple layout, like you say makes it easier for operators and means there is more chance of it getting done. Thanks for sharing and I sincerely hope it’s not your last post.

Welcome to the forums.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

benito

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya
  • Interests:ISO 22OOO,HACCP,OHAS,ISO 1400....

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:42 PM

This looks nice and elaborate it does make work easier for the person conducting the check

BENITO.

jtrue

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:15 PM

Nice list LynA.. I like how the map and the list are on the same page. I think that I may have to do this at our plant. Thanks for the idea.

Labucknall

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Jamaica
    Jamaica

Posted 08 July 2016 - 05:07 PM

For a long time we relyed on a list which only the originator(me)could follow, this took the best part of a day to complete and was an ordeal, for the last 2 years we have divided our large factory into small manageable areas, each area risk assessed and categorised 'A' high risk checked at the start of every shift, 'B' medium risk checked monthly and 'C' low risk checked 6 monthly, it takes the form of a very simple plan with numbered points, together with a numbered list, see attachment, this has made such a difference now the shift auditors carry this out adding it effortlessly into their duties, together with our comprehensive breakage reporting and clean up procedure we feel this is well covered. However there is always room for improvement, any suggestions.

Thanks for sharing Lyn, exactly what I needed to improve on what the plants currently have. 

Thomas1976

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:56 PM

Good Afternoon,

we have recently became BRC certified and I had a question on the Glass & Brittle Plastics. I had seen where some individuals are providing a map of areas with these items present. Do you think it makes more of a visual to the auditors on return visit? In other words should be include this in future audits.

Thank you,

Terina

evied1062

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:28 PM

This is great, looking for an idea of recording glass & plastics, thanks

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users