• IFSQN Associate
  • 24 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:05 AM

Dear All,

I just came across some notes from a quality course I attended a very long time ago re the writing of a quality policy. Thought it may also be useful when putting together a food safety policy:

1)Introduction (what the company does)
2)Objectives (the company's intention with re to "quality" (read food safety)
3)Commitment
4)How (how objectives will be achieved)
5)Basis (ref to appropriate std)
6)Directive (requirement for support)
7)Result (what will be achieved)

Any thoughts?
Thx
Toni

elias.loisos

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 January 2009 - 01:54 PM

Hi Toni,

When you say quality program, do you mean something specific (like a procedure lets say) or general?

Looks good to me, I think you could even use this as a letter of guarantee. I send these every year to companies that store and use our transport.

Angus

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 24 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:05 AM

Elias,

When putting together a Food Safety Program for certification purposes it is often a requirement for the company to compose a Food Safety Policy. (So its general rather than a specific procedure.) As I'm working on my first one, I thought I would throw this one up for comment.

Thx for your reply.
Toni

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 11 January 2009 - 05:51 AM

Hi Tony,

Structurally, IMO, its not too bad. Generally, food safety objectives (FSO) cover conformances with agreed customer requirements including the reference standard you are using and compliance with relevant regulatory / statutory requirements. BTW, because it is food, the FSO has to be based on zero tolerance. All the best and have fun!

Edited by Charles Chew, 11 January 2009 - 10:47 AM.

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:50 AM

Dear All,

I would like to know the frequency for conducting review of the food safety policy. Have any auditors recommended this during the audits?

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 January 2009 - 05:09 PM

Dear All,

I would like to know the frequency for conducting review of the food safety policy. Have any auditors recommended this during the audits?

I would do it annually in line with BRC 1.6 when you review your HACCP plan.

keep it simple!

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:32 AM

Thank you Caz for your response. :rolleyes:

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

mpa

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Uruguay
    Uruguay

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:12 PM

Hi, everyone!!! I´m Mariana from Uruguay and I´m new at this forum. I work at a rice industry and we are implemeting the HACCP Plan, and we have to certificate in one year approx.

I read the steps of the food safety policy. I´m looking for an written example. Toni, can you attach the safe policy to have an example ?

Many thanks,

Mariana

Soda

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:40 PM

Food Safety
And
Quality Policy

Company Backgrounsd. In an industry such as ours the prime objective is to produce the best possible product and service to our customers. COMPANY NAME delivers, safe, legal, quality, value products and service at its best to our customers. We recognise the importance of employees in achieving these aims and are committed to their personal development. The company strive for continual development of its Quality Management System.

Site Manager: Date

mpa

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Uruguay
    Uruguay

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:17 PM

Thanks a lot!! I think i wasn´t clear about my doubt. I need a document that describes all the topics that Toni Mentioned:

1)Introduction (what the company does)
2)Objectives (the company's intention with re to "quality" (read food safety)
3)Commitment
4)How (how objectives will be achieved)
5)Basis (ref to appropriate std)
6)Directive (requirement for support)
7)Result (what will be achieved)

I need an example of what to write in each points.

Thanks a lot

Mariana

Angus

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 24 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:33 AM

Mariana,

I am sending off my documentation for review by the company doing the certification in the next couple of weeks. So if you are not in a hurry I will post the Safety Policy (together with any comments / recommendations) after they review it. It may be best to wait as I don't want to give you wrong info.

Thx
Toni

(P.S. Thx Charles for your comments - I am having fun, a bit sad hey?)

mpa

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Uruguay
    Uruguay

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:38 PM

Ok, that´s ok. Good luck with the papers!!
Thanks a lot.
Mariana

MeL

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:24 PM

Hi!

I'm currently working with an airline catering company and i have a project rightnow re food safety policy. Can anyone help me? I need a sample of policy or policies. Been looking anywhere but couldn't find a straight sample. *sigh*

Thanks...

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 20 January 2009 - 09:14 AM

Dear Mel,

I have pasted below a sample, though I don't recollect the source (should be a sample from this forum itself). Hope this is useful.

FOOD SAFETY POLICY STATEMENT

(FOOD SAFETY MANAGEMENT SYSTEM – ISO 22000:2005)

ABC LTD is committed to:
1. Implementing a Food Safety Management System with an aim to produce and supply safe quality end products that meet customers’ satisfactions and expectations.

2. Comply with legal obligations and to protect the consumers with consistent safe food products through the application of good manufacturing/hygiene practices and HACCP principles.

3. Ensuring all employees involved in food production receive appropriate and adequate training in food safety and handling courses.

4. Ensuring that both internal and external communications regarding food safety are fully addressed.

The food business operators ensure that:

1. Only raw materials from approved sources or certified suppliers are used in food production.
2. Recipes or food composition must not be modified without approval from top management.
3. All critical control processes are under control.
4. Outsourcing of products and/or services complies with expected or predetermined requirements.
5. All personnel are committed to the food safety management program to ensure safe food production.
6. Restricted known food additives or allergens when used in food must be declared.
7. Foods are hygienically packed and supplied in a suitable manner to safeguard consumers’ safety and health.
Business performance is attained through the continual improvements of:

 Operational efficiency and customer satisfaction
 Assurance of safe quality production processes
 Assurance of products manufactured within our premises are safe for consumption
 Waste minimization

The Company requires its employees to commit to food safety:

As an employee, it is your responsibility to:
 Observe all food safety regulations and procedures.
 Observe personnel hygiene standards and requirements laid down in the Code of Hygiene Practices.
 Act in a manner of which does not endanger yourself, your work mates, the public and the environment.
 Whenever required, protect the food safety management system.

Signature
…………………………………………….
Managing Director / Date

Best regards,

J

MeL

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:15 PM

Hi Jean,

Thank you very much for the help, it's a big one, honest!

Another thing, my boss mentioned a sample policy she would like me to look for over the net like "no glass policy" or "no wood policy". I only hear it but unfortunately i could find a written policy or policies like those. Any idea?

Again thank you for the big help you have given.

warm regards,

MeL

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:56 AM

Hi MeL,

You are welcome.

IMO, policies on wood & glass should be made suiting the respective unit where it will be implemented. If I come across any samples, then will post it here.

Best regards,

J

Rich G.

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:06 PM

Hello everyone,
I am a consultant and I have been writing a lot of HACCP plans recently and curious is anyone knows or uses a good HACCP software for writing the plans, currently I am doing all from scratch (6 in the past 4 weeks) and the formating etc. is getting old.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

MeL

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:49 PM

Hi MeL,

You are welcome.

IMO, policies on wood & glass should be made suiting the respective unit where it will be implemented. If I come across any samples, then will post it here.

---

Hi Jean,

Thank you very much for all the help. I'll look forward to it. My boss is giving me 1 more week to finish my research. :biggrin:

Warm regards,

MeL :smarty:

elias.loisos

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:19 PM

Hello everyone,
I am a consultant and I have been writing a lot of HACCP plans recently and curious is anyone knows or uses a good HACCP software for writing the plans, currently I am doing all from scratch (6 in the past 4 weeks) and the formating etc. is getting old.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

I use a software called MyHaccp for document control and so on.

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:16 AM

DEar elias..

can you give the brief what is Myhaccp software? how that software work ? and any literature to explain that MyHaccp?

Thanks

elias.loisos

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 23 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:14 PM

AS NUR,

MyHaccp is software designed to manage your control sheets. Basically in my warehouse all employees fill in their control sheets electronically. Once saved and filed I can access the control sheet and make file verification etc. The software can also be ported to a PDA so employees fill checklist and control sheets on the spot.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:11 PM

DEar elias..

can you give the brief what is Myhaccp software? how that software work ? and any literature to explain that MyHaccp?

Thanks

Personally i wouldn't waste my money.
I find you can do it just as well in Excel, and use something like Sharepoint to control your documents.

I've never seen MyHaccp and have no idea how it works, so i'd be interested to see what others think.

Caz

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:51 AM

AS NUR,

MyHaccp is software designed to manage your control sheets. Basically in my warehouse all employees fill in their control sheets electronically. Once saved and filed I can access the control sheet and make file verification etc. The software can also be ported to a PDA so employees fill checklist and control sheets on the spot.

Dear Elias..

Thanks for your info.. yup.. very intersesting software.. actually i using excell for doc. control and share it trough intra net..

angelica

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 30 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Argentina
    Argentina

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:16 PM

Hi Jean,

Thank you very much for the help, it's a big one, honest!

Another thing, my boss mentioned a sample policy she would like me to look for over the net like "no glass policy" or "no wood policy". I only hear it but unfortunately i could find a written policy or policies like those. Any idea?

Again thank you for the big help you have given.

warm regards,

MeL

Hi MeL,

this is what we have. Hope it helps you. I'll appreciate any thought

Glass and fragile plastic policy
it’s policy of COMPANY to avoid the use of fragile plastic and glass in the processor plant. In those cases in which the use is indispensable, we have precautions to prevent rupture and procedures to prevent food contamination if breakage occurs.

Precautions:

Identification of glasses and fragile plastics

Weekly verification of integrity of glasses and fragile plastics (fissure detection)

Protections for glasses and fragile plastics

Lights and windows installed at least 3 m away of zones of exposed food

Transparent sheet adhered to panels in windows, to avoid the loosening of parts in case of breakage

Personnel with eyeglasses uses security cord

Containers of glass or fragile plastic such as drink bottles or other containers are not allowed outside the rest room.

If breakage occurs:

Stop production

Try to fix the piece

If we have all the parts continue production (remember we have it far away food).

If we don’t have all the parts:

Segregate exposed product

Get rid of the parts found

Clean the zone thoroughly

Continue production

regards,

Angélica

Thanked by 1 Member:

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:56 AM

in my company.. we have same matter with Angelica's.. plus all of light in production zone must have cover, and we avoid any glasses for sampling material during production...
we put plastic and glass policy in our PRP, and we have SOP for unsafe product handling and SOP for Glass/plastic broken handling...

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users