- - - - -

Don

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 10 September 2003 - 01:27 PM

We are a manufacturer of corrugated casing trying to achieve Catergory A certification to the BRC/IOP Technical Standard. With the layout of our facility the clause 7.3.3 requiring the washing of hands after eating, before starting work & smoking will cause us some disruption and downtime.Is it an option for up to place antibacterial wipes or similar at relevant workstations to overcome this disruption?

Thanks

Don

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 10 September 2003 - 02:51 PM

Hi Don,

As you know the hand-washing requirements detailed in 7.7.3 apply equally to category A and B suppliers.

'All personnel, visitors, and contractors likely to enter production areas shall wash their hands after using the toilet, eating, smoking, drinking (unless drinking only water in accordance with the conditions set out in section 7.4) and whenever otherwise necessary.'

In my opinion I don't think you can get around the requirement for hand washing by substituting with antibacterial wipes.

However, meeting this requirement can be logistically very difficult especially when trying to implement into a factory that may be old or not purpose built.

If you find that it is not possible to channel all personnel through one entrance with hand washing facilities; I would suggest that you create designated walkways e.g. painted yellow tramlines on the floor thus creating a 'safe route' to or from hand-washing facilities. The hand-washing facilities could be housed inside or outside production, wherever convenient, and they would be everyone's first port of call on entering / before entering production.

Basically this means that you can have the sinks anywhere and I believe this would be acceptable to an auditor.

Where you have personnel such as production administrators who are in and out of production more times than a fiddlers-elbow I would suggest that they follow the procedure above. But for subsequent visits they could utilise antibacterial wipes or a sanitiser, which could be housed on a wall outside their office. (That is if you could justify this exemption through the hazard analysis - not handling product?)

Well that's a couple of ideas to be going on with - I'm sure there will be one or two other members who will be able to explain how they met this requirement?

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

mikelond

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 67 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Bass player - currently 2 bands on the go at once.<br />F1 motor racing - now the playing field is a little more level !!<br />Narrow boating

Posted 10 September 2003 - 04:42 PM

We are a flexible packaging manufacturer with BRC/IOP accreditation to category B.
Our protocol for hand-washing is basically as Simon describes above. The old chestnut that keeps being raised is whether hot air dryers or disposable paper towels are best for drying of the hands. In my experience, I have found that by having both methods available, it satisfies all audits, with comments being raised against having both, rather than being picked up for not having the auditors preference. One method we don't employ is the 'continuous' cloth towel.
Liquid sanitisers have been placed at strategic places to catch the 'through-traffic' of office staff, who incidentally seem to be the worst offenders, not only for not washing hands, but also non-removal of watches, jewellery, incorrect hairnet application etc. <_<
Inside the manufacturing environment, we have the liquid soap dispensers, along with varying designs of water tap, depending on the age of the department - the important point being that standard types of taps are so far deemed to be acceptable to our auditors, and that the allocation of BASIC handwashing facilities is sufficient to satisfy the requirement (disposable paper towels being far better than a standard hand towel for obvious reasons!)
The channelling of all traffic into the department past the handwashing stations is, I feel, critical to the success of the operation, as is clear signage as to the requirements (human nature being what it is.........)
We initially went through the exercise of looking at full replacement of all stainless steel sinks, knee-operated water taps, sanitisers, non-contact hand dryers etc, but as already mentioned, the basic liquid soap and paper towel method satisfies.
One point I would like to make though, is that if the warm/hot water iss too hot to use, the tendency is to use the cold water supply to wash hands, which can run you into conflict with some auditors. :)
Anyway, enough said. Hope that this is of some help.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 11 September 2003 - 08:14 AM

Liquid sanitisers have been placed at strategic places to catch the 'through-traffic' of office staff, who incidentally seem to be the worst offenders, not only for not washing hands, but also non-removal of watches, jewellery, incorrect hairnet application etc.

I HATE OFFICE STAFF!!! :angry: Sorry that emoticon is just not strong enough. They just don't seem to realise the effect there none compliance has on the real workers.

I'm a paper towel man myself, but whatever you do don't get the automatic 'dispense on wave' type believe me they have a mind of their own.

Some good points Mike thanks for the input.
:rolleyes:

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

YongYM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 231 posts
  • 57 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Reading, Watching TV, Singing Karaoke & Sight-seeing

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:09 AM

Dear all:

Regarding hand washing, is there any argument being heard about the drying step after that?

Using clean towel or hand dryer? Which one is better?

MartLgn

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 155 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:05 PM

Dear all:

Regarding hand washing, is there any argument being heard about the drying step after that?

Using clean towel or hand dryer? Which one is better?

Paper towels are widely considered in the food manufacturing and packaging industry to be the most hygienic way of drying hands as they are used and then thrown in the bin ( or on the floor !) . Warm air dryers are rightly frowned upon as the inards provide an environment for the reproduction of bacteria which are then blown all over the hands of the users. Paper towels are a pain from the point of view of the amount of waste they generate but from a hygiene perspective they are the accepted best practice. Section 7.3.1 of the BRC/IOP standard in the best practice guidelines singles out paper towels as the method of choice.

Why put off until tomorrow that which you can avoid doing altogether ?

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:06 PM

I'm a paper towel man myself, but whatever you do don't get the automatic 'dispense on wave' type believe me they have a mind of their own.

We've had "dispense on wave" machine installed for the last 4 years and have found them to be very reliable and cost effective. However as they only hold one roll at a time you need to have 2 dispensers at each handwash station to ensure you always have paper available.

I HATE OFFICE STAFF!!!

They're the same whereever you go.

Paper towels are widely considered in the food manufacturing and packaging industry to be the most hygienic way of drying hands

In food factories you'd have difficulty arguing the case for air driers but........have you seen the new drier from Dyson. Apparently it is approved by the RIPH! What do you think? DYSON

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

jamesgibb

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Sports, Eating out, Travel

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:21 PM

Yorky,

strangely enough I used one of these yesterday in Bristol Airport

It seemed to work OK but I have doubts about the fact that there is a potential contact surface above the air jets which could very easily act as a cross contamination surface especially as the air jet blows down and (if my Physics is right) will pull airbourne particle towards them from above.

BTW did you know that Germans have a qwertz kezboard not a qwerty - Bl***y annozing! :angry:

James

"arguing with an auditor is like wrestling with a pig in mud, eventually you realise that the pig enjoys it"

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:57 PM

Yorky,

strangely enough I used one of these yesterday in Bristol Airport

It seemed to work OK but I have doubts about the fact that there is a potential contact surface above the air jets which could very easily act as a cross contamination surface especially as the air jet blows down and (if my Physics is right) will pull airbourne particle towards them from above.

BTW did you know that Germans have a qwertz kezboard not a qwerty - Bl***y annozing! :angry:

James

Just be thankful their washing their bloody han(d)s!!!!!!!

MartLgn

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 155 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 February 2007 - 07:58 PM

have you seen the new drier from Dyson. Apparently it is approved by the RIPH! What do you think? DYSON

The dyson drier looks great but with their reputation for making devices that look great but don't actually work as well as claimed plus the ridiculous prices would you recomend them for your factory ? What hapens to the atomised water ? could it condense on a nice cool washbasin or on the walls giving a nice playground for mould ? I think I'll be sticking with papae towels for now.

Why put off until tomorrow that which you can avoid doing altogether ?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 February 2007 - 08:03 PM

They're the same whereever you go.

I take that back office workers are not the worst Salesmen are. :thumbdown:

In food factories you'd have difficulty arguing the case for air driers but........have you seen the new drier from Dyson. Apparently it is approved by the RIPH! What do you think? DYSON

Why Dyson Airblade works properly

Look guys don't argue it work properly OK. :smile:

May we ask why you are using a German keyboard???

jamesgibb

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Sports, Eating out, Travel

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:46 PM

Simon,

I´m in Germany conducting an ISO22000 audit (the transport firm from http://www.ifsqn.com...showtopic=6252)

The company has passed (i´m telling them tomorrow morning so keep it quite for tonight :secret: )

James

"arguing with an auditor is like wrestling with a pig in mud, eventually you realise that the pig enjoys it"

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:54 PM

I´m in Germany conducting an ISO22000 audit (the transport firm from http://www.ifsqn.com...showtopic=6252)

The company has passed (i´m telling them tomorrow morning so keep it quite for tonight :secret: )

Certification foreplay eh? Das ist gud ya. :clap:

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 February 2007 - 09:03 PM

Simon,

James

Can you be bought James???? :whistle:

Sauerkraut anyone???

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:51 PM

Dear Cazx,

Very nice avatar, looks like the female equivalent of the Scottish quilt as per yr post a short while back. :thumbup:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users