Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:26 AM

Hi I only joined today, so I am new to this.
I am a QA manager in a food packaging firm and have recently being registered to ISO, 22,000. Our customers also want BRC Iop and I was wondering if anyone has done a gap analysis on hwta extra is requiered having already got ISO 22,000???

Thanks you
Regards
Adrian :helpplease:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:51 PM

Hi Adrian,

Do you have a copy of the standard? There really is no substitute and it is very easy to read - well laid out. Your gap analysis checklist really.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

QAWICKLOW

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:31 AM

Hi Simon

I have a copy of the Standard, I was informed that the BRC standard has musts, i.e. metal detection, specfic washhand stations where the ISO 22,000 has no specfics. I have had a quick look and it does look like it is well set out.

Thanks
Adrian

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:35 PM

Dear Adrian,

Indeed, one reason the retailers are not so enthusiastic about iso 22000 is it's lack of specificity regarding topics like prerequisites etc. Hence the GFSI family (BRC, IFS, SQF etc.)

I'm not sure about detailed comparisons here between brc (packaging) and iso 22000 but there are several threads regarding brc (food) which may give you some ideas, eg can try this thread -

http://www.ifsqn.com...showtopic=10031

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:51 PM

Just to say Adrian, when you have familiarised yourself with the standard a little, do please feel free to ask any specific questions and I will be glad to help you out.

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

QAWICKLOW

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:15 PM

Thanks Charles & Simon

That really usefull information, Very much appreciated. I have lots to be getting on with and also that I have someone to ask questions as I get stuck into the BRC std. I am ordering a new copy today because I think the copy I have is OOD.

Regards
Adrian :thumbup:

rosie

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 118 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 June 2009 - 02:41 PM

Hi Adrian

What type of packaging do you make? I work in plastics in N Ireland and we have BRC. There are lots of topics on the forums where you will find help.

mherzz

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:30 AM

Hi Adrian

What type of packaging do you make? I work in plastics in N Ireland and we have BRC. There are lots of topics on the forums where you will find help.

Hi RosieN1!!!!

i am also working in a plastic sheets, we provide APET sheets for thermoforming and we are now gearing for the BRC Certification this coming june 8th and 9th. Can you please give me some points on how they conduct BRC audit. I am new to this standard. i am used to ISO 9001 and EMS but with BRC its a completely new to me since when i joined this company here in oman.

what are points they usually hit?
hope you can give us pointers

thanx in advance

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:14 AM

i am also working in a plastic sheets, we provide APET sheets for thermoforming and we are now gearing for the BRC Certification this coming june 8th and 9th. Can you please give me some points on how they conduct BRC audit. I am new to this standard. i am used to ISO 9001 and EMS but with BRC its a completely new to me since when i joined this company here in oman.

what are points they usually hit?
hope you can give us pointers

In short all of them.

It is very difficult to answer that one as it depends where your physical and documented systems are weak or strong. One of the key differences between an ISO and a BRC audit is that during every BRC audit every single clause and requirement of the standard is audited and this can make it a very intense and long day. The auditor should not home in on any one area more than another although auditors are human and they may have a particular interest or deeper knowledge in a particular area and may dig deeper there. But again that is very specific to your auditor and an unknown. Basically if you have done a thorough gap analysis and implemented a system that meets the requirements (as you see it) then you should not be too far away.

Good luck Mherzz, please let us know how you get on and if you need any help for last minute preparation or want us to check some specific procedures or documents we will try to help you.

Regards,
Simon

rosie

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 118 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 June 2009 - 01:17 PM

Hi there

Simon has covered most. Our BRC auditor spent a lot of time in the factory compared to ISO auditor and will examine hygiene issues thoroughly so ensure the factory and personnel are spotless (I am sure it always is). Our auditor did actually look into bins to make sure there were no sweet wrappers etc in the bin. Make sure any temporary repairs are fixed and if not possible before the audit that they are logged somewhere. HACCP has also become a big part of issue 3 and he/she will look at this. Good luck.

mherzz

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:46 AM

Hi RosieN and Simon!!!!

Thanx a lot for the tips/pointers...... At long last our efforts paid back......... BRC audit was done for 2 days and we just finished yerterday.

the result 6 minor NC's that can be closed within a week.

Thanx and More power...... God Bless

QAWICKLOW

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:14 AM

Hi Rosie
Congrats on the BRC certification. We manufacture lids and scoops for the baby food industry worldwide. As you can imagine they are high risk and are in direct contact with the food. I have only recivied the BRC IoP std and we are classified as Category 1.

I am using it to put together a gap anaysis at the moment for a meeting next week. So far there is not a big difference to the ISO 22,000.

Regards
Adrian

QAWICKLOW

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:37 AM

Hi again

I forgot to metion that our plant in Lux sent me a copy of the EN-15593. This looks like yet another food safety standard. How does it compare/stand up to the ISO 22,000 & the BRC??

Adrian

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:29 AM

Hi again

I forgot to metion that our plant in Lux sent me a copy of the EN-15593. This looks like yet another food safety standard. How does it compare/stand up to the ISO 22,000 & the BRC??

Adrian

It's a prescriptice standard and I believe it is very much like the BRC Packaging Standard and not like ISO 22000 which is a management system standard - ISO 22000 makes the user think a bit more (many say too much) to join up the dots.

Regards,
Simon

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:01 PM

Hi again

Adrian

If you look around enough you will find that there are many, many food safety standards. I find it humourous all of shots being taken at ISO 22000 but if you did it right you should be able to meet all but minor nuances of any food safety standard. ISO 22000 does not spell out the exact details that are needed but it does tell you to do what is suitable for your situation and everything that is spelled out in BRC, SQF, IFS, etc. is typically what is suitable.

Build your own food safety system that you feel meets all of your needs (including industry guidelines/regulatory guidelines), monitor it and validate it, and continuously improve it and you will be fine with any standard. :thumbup:

rosie

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 118 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:27 PM

Hi again

Adrian

rosie

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 118 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:28 PM

Hi Adrian

At the bottom of the discussions there is a topic about this standard. I had never heard of it.

Rosie

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users