• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:17 PM

Hi all,

I need a little help fulfilling this requirement. I've tested the traceability of a particular item, and now I need to perform a quantity check mass balance.
Here is the recepie.

Item 1: 80kgs
TEST ITEM: 20kgs
Item 3: 1kgs
Item 4: 9kgs

Total Input: 110kgs -> (PROCESSING) -> Total Output: 100kgs

So, is this sufficient to demonstrate a quantity check / mass balance? The loss of 10kgs is expected as part of the process, but it is very difficult to put a precise amount to the loss we would have on any particular product as it varies in relation to many factors. Thoughts please! Cheers :thumbup:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:30 AM

BUMP for Danny.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:17 PM

I think a 9% loss is not great. It depends what that loss is. If that loss is floor waste then I would expect you to measure the floor waste and prove it's lost that way. If the waste is due to desication or drying then it is acceptable, however, I would expect you to be able to show some trial data to an auditor to prove that a 9% loss is normal in that process.

If you can do the above it's no issue.

Maybe if you explain the process it might be a bit easier?

There will always be a difference in mass balance. I'm not sure what percentage BRC auditors accept but if I had a difference of less than 2% I'd argue it till I was blue in the face. If I had a difference of less than 1%, I'd be most miffed if a BRC auditor raised a non con and I don't think any reasonable one would. Gut feel would be 9% is too high. Anyone know what limits BRC use?

Danny

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:44 PM

Thanks GMO,

The product is spray dried. Do you think several examples of previous products and their relative losses would be sufficient to satisfy an auditor?

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:13 AM

dear danny..

to make mass balance you have to consider your water content.. so i try to make it easier in simple sample :

1. INput : your material (item 1 - 4), moisture content ( you can count by 100 - Total solid content).
for example your mc is 15 % (total material = 110 kg, Water = 16.5 kg and dry matter = 110 - 16.5 = 93.5 kg)

2. Process :
during spry drying process, some water loss from your product (15 % water= 11 kg)

3. Output :
moisture content on your finish product (for example your MC FG 5% = 5.5 kg, and dry matter = 93.5 kg so your output = 5.5 + 93.5 = 99 kg).

Sorry if my explanation too simple but i hope with that sample can make clear the mass balance

Edited by AS NUR, 09 June 2009 - 01:13 AM.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users