• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:28 PM

Hi,

I work as a Food Safety Coordinator for a pet food company. Our's is a 2 year old factory, I have started working since 7 months (first job ever!). In my factory we do not have a technical or quality department. I find it difficult to work on my own most of the times. I do not really know if I am doing my job good or not since no proper technical members to tell me anything.

There are few questions, for which I might find answers from the forum.

1. I do the product review, where I check the finished product samples for different parameters and record it. Any thing, that concerns food safety or quality is discussed with during the morning meet everyday. The problem I have here is: the print quality of the best before and other information when not legible is discussed but I do not know how we can improve it? Because the corrective action is not discussed in the meeting.

2. I also take the measurements of the food and need to take an average and see if it is in spec or not. I do not have the specification list for all the different products we make. So, it is of no use me measuring the food. The Process and Quality Manger has them, he wont give me even when I have asked me many times. I am bored of asking him, since it annoys him when I ask him.

3.Our factory is located around the fields so, the risk of pest is even more when you compare to other locations. The doors both internal and external are kept open most of the times. We run 24hrs and night time no one is there to monitor other than the operators.
The Managers take huge amount of interest in production and how many tons we have made and sent away from the factory.

4. Since this is my first job I have no previous experience which make it even more difficult to get things done. The metal detection, I am not quite sure if the packing operators do it as per the procedure. How can I make sure they are doing it? Not all the operators are from food industry background so they do not understand the basics and importance of food safety and quality. I have arranged the food safety training for all the associates which will finish by October this year.

5. I will write more as and when I get issues.

Hope some one will give me some suggestions for me to carry on my role properly and make a change and improvement here .

Thanks in advance.

Kamwenji Njuma

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 131 posts
  • 47 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya
  • Interests:Food safety,Quality,Hygiene and Agricultural consultancy.HACCP,BRC Food,ISO22000.ISO9001,GLOBALG.A.P,Etc

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:12 AM

Hi Julie,
sorry for the predicaments.I think all world over production personnel tends to disregard food safety and quality assurance department yet they need us for continued production.It does not matter how much you produce but of low quality and not safe the customers will in long run came to know and hence sales will reduce.In your case it is better to know the senior management/directors commitment and support and how they view your dept.Make them understand the importance of food safety and see their reaction,but make sure you do it with professionalism.
Best of luck

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:14 AM

There are few questions, for which I might find answers from the forum.

1.The problem I have here is: the print quality of the best before and other information when not legible is discussed but I do not know how we can improve it? Because the corrective action is not discussed in the meeting.

2. I also take the measurements of the food and need to take an average and see if it is in spec or not. I do not have the specification list for all the different products we make. So, it is of no use me measuring the food. The Process and Quality Manger has them, he wont give me even when I have asked me many times. I am bored of asking him, since it annoys him when I ask him.

3.Our factory is located around the fields so, the risk of pest is even more when you compare to other locations. The doors both internal and external are kept open most of the times.

4. The metal detection, I am not quite sure if the packing operators do it as per the procedure. How can I make sure they are doing it?

Hi Julie

Sounds like you've got plenty on your hands

1. Request corrective action at the meeting in wirting if necessary. If there is no action escalate this to your manager in writing
2. Request the specifications in writing explaining why you need them.
3. Highlight pest activity, increase monitoring stations and report the risks of leaving the doors open
4. You should should have a documented procedure. Carry out audits and confirm each operator is following the procedure. If not arange training.

Good Luck

Tony :smile:

Julie

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:44 AM

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for the luck. Yes, I totally agree with you that the production department cannot go far without the food safety and quality department. They try to ignore us still they need to come and see us. The difficulty I have here is I am the only person in the so called food safety department. The Plant Manager gets involved but he is rarely seen in the factory, he is always busy with other meetings. I did cry many times, because no one in the factory can actually understand what I am going through. The work I am doing forces them to change and people always resist change and that is the other reason why they do not like to start a conversation with me. I am hoping things will change and get better over time.

Thanks for your time and suggestions

Julie

Julie

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:52 AM

Hello Tony,

Thank you very much for your time and kind suggestions.
I would take your points 1 and 2 and will see if it shows any progress.
What documented procedure are you talking about in point 4? Could you please explain it in more detail? It is a factory of around 55 to 60 associates. Should every one undergo training for pest awareness? I have arranged for pest awareness training on 4th September, it is for 10 associates from raw material reception, engineers, processing, packing. Should I have any one from finished product warehouse as well?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:57 PM

Dear Julie,

Tough working environment indeed. I sympathise having both experienced and inspected factories in similar situations. Unfortunately not so rare IMEX. It is often correlated as you say with a high priority for production volume and frequently results in an (initially undiscovered) serious quality problem particularly if the equipment is inadequate / Process Manager not competent / serious hygiene risk factors as you mention. The raw material quality control is also often a critical step in such situations IMEX (tendency is to accept everything). Similarly for final product.

I am curious about few items –

Is this canned production or ?

Who are you supposed to report to – The Managing Director or the Process Manager, logically it should be the first but I am wondering if it is the second ? Or is this perhaps a family business (hence the secrecy over specifications) where you are an outsider brought in to demonstrate a Quality responsibility function ?

Are you supposed to achieve certification of the factory to any particular standard ?

Although this is a highly unsatisfactory option, IMEX one practical (process) route is put together some numerical specifications yourself based on daily information extracted from the operators. Organoleptic factors usually self-generate their requirements within pass/fail limits. More complex parameters such as microbiological will depend on the actual product/process. This procedure enables you to present a report. The issuance of such data (particularly if partly negative) at a meeting usually soon forces some feedback from production (they hv to protect their backs also :biggrin: ).

Whether such activities make any difference / generate any communications will demonstrate if there is any chance to improve matters. You may become instantly unpopular of course which is sometimes unavoidable in the QA function (some people claim it is a basic requirement of successfully carrying out the QA job but ideally the situation shud gradually improve ). You simply (!) hv to convince yourself (and colleagues) that you are doing the right thing for the factory (and the ultimate consumer !).

Good luck and pls revert if you need more specific assistance. Items such as you refer in yr previous post are often listed / explained in GMP, HACCP-SOP procedures. There are many links here to these already if you hv a look.

Rgds / Charles.C

aded - Just noticed yr info in another of yr posts -

I work for Pet Food Company in the UK. It is an International Company. We have factories in USA, Canada, Asia, Europe, Africa, Russia.

We are going for ISO 9001 and 14001. Hope this explains that we are maintaining the standards of a human food manufacturing unit.

Difficult to believe based on yr description of current working conditions. :unsure:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:08 AM

Dear Julie,

IMO, your manager and top management are not committed to food safety and quality. (It is not astonishing for many personnel of many companies of many countries :whistle: ). If your feelings are same as my opinion, you should first convince your manager (whom you report to) or top management by giving them a short, simple but informative presentation explaining why food safety and quality are important to the survival and progress of the company. Tell them that these are more important than current high sales volume.

Top Management usually speaks the language of money. these people have a fear of monitory losses, falling sales graph and so on. If you have data of rejections or defects, use that data to present graphs. If not, make a simple table that shows what worst condition may arise by not following good practices.

Wherever possible. estimate monitory loses and tell them that current high sales volume might become worthless in case of only one withdrawal or recall of unsafe or poor quality product. One idea is to search on internet similar cases of withdrawal and recall and quote them in your presentation.

IMO, before giving this type of presentation, you should have an action plan in hand. That action plan must contain, what is wrong, what should be done, who will be the role player, who will verify taken actions. Present this action plan once top management is convinced. Present that plan as a recommendation not as instructions.

Also, once convinced, you should ask permission from your top management to make teams of professionals. Make teams of good, technically sound and cooperative members. Assign challenging task to those teams. Personally verify progress of teams. You can motivate you teams by simply recognizing their efforts by simply giving them certificates of participation.

Regards:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 23 August 2009 - 04:09 AM

Hello Tony,

Thank you very much for your time and kind suggestions.
I would take your points 1 and 2 and will see if it shows any progress.
What documented procedure are you talking about in point 4? Could you please explain it in more detail? It is a factory of around 55 to 60 associates. Should every one undergo training for pest awareness? I have arranged for pest awareness training on 4th September, it is for 10 associates from raw material reception, engineers, processing, packing. Should I have any one from finished product warehouse as well?

Hi Julie

There should be a procedure for checking that the metal detector is working correctly and some test pieces. The test pieces are normally placed in a product and clearly identified then put on the line at normal running speeds to check that they are rejected.

Pest Awareness training for Warehouse staff is a good idea.

Sounds like your starting to get things together so well done.

Keep your chin up. :smile:

Kind regards,

Tony

Abdul Qudoos

• IFSQN Senior
  • 308 posts
  • 42 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:35 AM

Greetings Julie,

Need to create an environment for food safety and it comes from planning, make a list of to do's, why it is important and how it looks after implementation and documentation, the first thing is awareness i.e. training required - make a slideshow, use references, if possible show this thread how everyone is concern about it, it is very important where ever you work and what ever you deal with food production, its not a matter of HACCP or ISO certification its a matter of life, well-being. Try to impress your management, How?:

Follow PDCA cycle (Plan, Do, Check & Act)

Make a flow diagram of your process and find out the hazards with possible causes and corrective actions required then keep a proposal in-front of management/ your boss.

The best of luck,
For any help please feel free to ask...

Join me on
Abdul Qudoos on LinkedIn
Follow me on twitter Healthy_Food_
Visit my website Healthy Food Management

Penard

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 171 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• France
    France
  • Interests:Literature : novels, Sci-Fi, thrillers; Rowing; Personal and Professional travels

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:26 AM

hi all,

not easy for the human food industry, but much more difficult for the petfood industry : the first question from the production is 'why doing so many efforts for pets'?

the salmonella outbreak in the USA 2 years ago is a very good example : there isn't any limit for bacterias between pets and human very easy to spread by taking the kibbles with your hands then eating with dirty hands. Children like mimic pets etc.. and it isn't so rare to realize that your child is playing with the kibbles.
Last - and not least - your job can be directly linked to the quality of your product : the owner of the pets are human and some of them are fond of their pets. Don't forget that some people think about pets as kids. Imagine the results in case of injury or death because of carelessness and the potential results in case of suit for a factory?...

so for me the quality and food safety for petfood is as important as human food, and it's the most important to communicate to the factory,

Emmanuel

Julie

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:45 PM

Hi Zeeshan,

Thank you very much for the valuable information. The information about using data to plot graphs and to do a table showing the consequences of bad practices is really good. I would do that in couple of weeks by collecting all the necessary information in a way I can plot graphs. The withdrawal is a good way of making them realize the worst case scenario. It is indeed a good idea to create teams and give them some responsibilities. I would try to do that.

I will keep posted, the improvements we are making. Which I think would take few months at least.

Julie

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:53 PM

Hi Tony,

We have pipe metal detectors and therefore we drop the metal detector bar into the hopper and through it, it gets into the bag and thus stops the line. I hope you understand, what I mean. We have one bridge metal detector as a secondary metal detector on one of our lines, so I can use a bag marked for metal detection check and use it.

I will ask more if I need help.

Thanks very much Tony. I will get the warehouse guys into the training for sure.

Julie

Julie

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:58 PM

Hello Abdul,

I knew about the PDCA but actually never thought of using it in real. I have booked a day for the entire factory to do the HACCP/GMP/GHP awareness training. I have also booked food safety training by an external trainer, looking forward to it. The HACCP Awareness day is on 4th September. Need to do a lot for it to be a successful day. Can any one help with what I could do more, as you all have much experience than I do.

I would do a flow diagram to show the hazards both minor and major that would occur without following the good practices.

Thanks Abdul.

Julie

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:12 AM

Can any one help with what I could do more.

Julie

Hi Julie,

I think you should follow the rule "Less but effective". You, as you have stated, have planned a lot of things already and IMO, theses are enough.

As I have said in my earlier post, the most important thing to do is to get management commitment. First go for it.

Next thing to do is to make one comprehensive plan for all the things to do in future. Keep an eye on the implementation and results of activities performed. Do not start too many tasks at the same time as probably you may not manage them all.

While planning and delivering the trainings, especially focus on the requirements of ISO 22K (6.2.2-c and -d). In order to evaluate the effectiveness of trainings you may use assessment sheets with simple objective-type questions. At the end of trainings you may also ask selective participants to demonstrate/explain some practices such as hand washing practice, personnel hygiene principles etc. Evaluation become effective when you design the evaluation process such that you can apply statistical techniques. Results of evaluation should be used as one of the bases for annual appraisal so that people get alert and cautious while attending the trainings.

Evaluation should not be confined to only on-spot measurement of learning. Plan to do evaluation after two to three months also. This can be done by simply monitoring the actual on-job practices, getting feedback from the supervisors or interviewing the personnel.

Good luck!

Regards:

Bo Smith

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:22 AM

3.Our factory is located around the fields so, the risk of pest is even more when you compare to other locations. The doors both internal and external are kept open most of the times. We run 24hrs and night time no one is there to monitor other than the operators.

4. Since this is my first job I have no previous experience which make it even more difficult to get things done. The metal detection, I am not quite sure if the packing operators do it as per the procedure. How can I make sure they are doing it? Not all the operators are from food industry background so they do not understand the basics and importance of food safety and quality. I have arranged the food safety training for all the associates which will finish by October this year.

The work I am doing forces them to change and people always resist change and that is the other reason why they do not like to start a conversation with me. I am hoping things will change and get better over time.

I was in a similar situation at my last position. Not as bad, but I can see some similarities. This is a senior management problem. Senior management has to lead by example. Exterior doors being left open is outrageous to say the least. If they are not willing to tackle simple problems as that, I'm really at a loss to give any advice other than to learn as much as you can here and at work.

The first thing I would do is establish my standards and STICK to them. Are you in a salary position? If people choose not to listen, then discipline is the next step. I am VERY fortunate that senior management at my current position fully supports sanitation. If I find food safety or personal safety issues on equipment before start up, I put my hold tag on there. The issue must then be resolved before proceeding.

What type of food safety audits are you performing?
Is anyone else participating in these audits?
Establishing a well planned food safety committee will help bring people on board to help facilitate change.
Can you give a quick list of what all you are responsible for?

Julie

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:05 AM

Hi Smith,

We do not have any audit documents written here. I am in the process of developing them. I have done some but not very happy about it. I have pasted one of the GMP Audit I have done. It is too much in detail and time consuming. I am thinking I would have to consider only the important things that would cause an immediate food safety or quality risk.

GMP AUDIT SUMMARY - Packing

Serial.no Area C/NC Comments Actions
1 Cleaning of tote bins in ground floor packing. Visual checks NC Cleaned but no records After cleaning, cleaning records are filled up
and the cleaning records to be checked
2 Ground floor packing: no kibble on the floor, spillages NC kibble on floor, no kibble near line 3 as they did not run it Need to clear it up
should be immediately cleaned up
3 Test for metal detection: spot checks and check the records, line 1 C Metal detection has be done and recorded No further actions needed
6 Test for metal detection: spot checks and check the records, line 2 NC Has been done but not recorded immediately, short of people Need to write up atleast at the end for record keeping
7 Test for metal detection: spot checks and check the records, line 3 C Metal detection has be done and recorded No further actions needed
8 Tidiness of CTEC line 1 machine NC Not clean, dusty Could not clean because they were running machines on Friday, were supposed to clean up
9 Tidiness of CTEC line 2 machine NC Not clean, dusty Could not clean because they were running machines on Friday, were supposed to clean up
10 Tidiness of Toyo, line 3 machine NC Not clean, dusty with ink on the machines in few places Could not clean because they were running machines on Friday, were supposed to clean up
11 Not to have any broken pallets in packing C No broken pallets seen No further actions needed
12 Finished product bags not be placed on the floor directly NC Finished product bags on the floor SE to order hard plastic containers to put them during machine problems
13 The bags should not be striked with legs C Did not see any operator doing that No further actions needed
14 Bags should be handled properly, to avoid crushed and crumbled kibble C Did not see any operator doing that No further actions needed
complaints
15 Packaging in the warehouse is covered properly, to prevent the pests NC Few of them are not covered, others are not properly covered All the shifts should shrink wrap the packaging pallets and label them.
entry into the bags (like larvae)
16 Used packaging pallets to be wrapped and properly labelled NC Few of them are not covered, others are not properly covered All the shifts should shrink wrap the packaging pallets and label them.
17 All the equipments and items to be in its designated area, unless they NC Needs something to place the cleaning tools SE or Engg's to help the Packing have designated place to put the cleaning tools
are in use
18 Not to have any unnecessary items in packing NC metal covers & nuts on level 2, used cloth on floor level 2 Remove the nuts & bolts with metal covers in level 2, tool boxes for other tools needed
19 Quality checks to be done as mentioned and properly, to ensure we C Done well and as per the document No further actions needed
do not send bad quality product into market
20 Files in the quality station should be well maintained, in proper place NC Files are not well kept, no space? Shane needs to check and confirm as it is a space issue or just not well kept
21 Gloves to be in its designated area, used gloves to be disposed off C Kept in it's designated area No further actions needed
immediately
22 Multipurpose cloth to be in its designated area, not near any of the line NC used cloth on level 2 floor Education needed to dispose it off? Shane needs to brief the team about cleaning?
s and disposed off immediately after useage.
23 Nuts, Bolts and other maintenance tools to be in its designated area, NC nuts and bolts with metal covers on level 2 packing Engineers to take it back or place it where it should be
not to be left loose unattended
24 Drinks only in the designated area, spills of tea/coffee will be counted C no spills of water/tea/coffee No further actions needed
and given a NC.
25 The bags in the product review have to be placed well, not thrown away. C well placed bags No further actions needed
Do not want to have damaged bags in it.
26 Product review cage should only have the bags otherwise empty. C It is been used for the purpose No further actions needed
Not to use it for placing anything.
27 Waste skips for the cardboard/bags to be emptied when full and closed C emptied when full No further actions needed
at all times
28 Repack and rework big bags to be labelled and tied up with all the details C lables are filled and used the right colour coded bag No further actions needed
filled in properly, it should be legible
29 Metal detector test bars to be place in the pouches on each line C bars in the right place No further actions needed
when it is not in use.
30 Metal detector test bar pouches to be tidy without any fines or kibbles NC fines in the pouches, the pouches are not long lasting Need somehting easy to clean when dirty, SS brush like holders?
in it.
31 Kibbles from the tray's under line 1 and 2 should be cleared off when full C cleared off when full and from previous runs No further actions needed
and before the end of each shift.
32 Line 2 bag rejection bin to be emptied when full, the bags cannot over- C not full when audited No further actions needed
flow and fall on the floor.
33 No labels on the floor at the end of line 2 and also no labels on the NC Lables are stuck on the floor, end of line 2 Scrape them off during Friday clean
end of line 2 machines.
34 The weighing scale near line 3 and its table should be clean NC dusty with fines cleaning needed during Friday
35 Weighing sclaes to be cleaned for fines, do spot check. NC line 3 not cleaned from previous shift clean it when running or when have time
36 2 Black fine bins on level 1 packing to be labelled and emptied when full NC Not labelled label them up
37 2 Black fine bins on leve 1 packing to be on the cleaning schedule and no cleaning records Cleaning record to be made
check if it is cleaned or not by checking the records and visaual checks.
38 Fine collector on level 1 packing, above the weighing scales should be
clean and cleaned thoroughly once in a week. Risk of contamiantion,
if not cleaned.
39 Cleaning of the sieves in packing should go into cleaning schedule. NC No records shown Need to have cleaning record and filled up appropriately
Check the records, risk of contamination if not cleaned.
40 All the weighing sclaes, conveyor belts in packing should be clean. NC dusty with fines and greasy Thorough cleaning needed every Friday
41 Ladders in the packing should be clean NC dustry with fines Thorough cleaning needed every Friday
42 Black mat on level 1 packing to be clean and placed in a designated area C Need regular cleaning should go on to the cleaning schedule
43 PPE when used should be placed back in its designated area
44 The regrind pipes and its big bag holding metal support should be clean. NC dusty with fines should go on to the cleaning schedule & cleaned every Friday
45 Stairs in packing should be clean NC they are very dirty Cleaning up needed, very thoroughly
46 Kibbles on the floor in level 2 packing, to be no kibbles on the floor NC kibbles on floor and fines needs cleaning up and a lot of other issues are the reason for the kibble and fines to be on floor
47 No fines on the floor in packing level 1 and 2 NC
48 The fine bins in level 2 packing should be emptied when full C
It could go on the cleaning records.
49 Vacuum cleaner to be in its designated area C
50 All the cleaning tools to be in their designated areas when not in use NC
51 The packaging material must at all times, be clearly labelled NC
52 The packaging should be shrink wrapped to prevent contamination. NC
53 Outher packaging should be removed in the warehouse, followed by TBD
sanitising the hands.
54 FB Policy Audit C
55 Ear protection should be tied up to the bump caps C
56 The beams in the packing, in all levels should be dust free and clean. NC dusty

For 46, In packing level 2, for fine bins the clips are really hard to fit them back and that could possibly be the reason for fines on the floor. Need something easy and reliable.
From the silos onto the conveyor belt we do not have covers, where we have covers they are left with gaps. Need to put the covers and seal the gaps? Risk of mixed kibble? Reason for kibbles on the floor

From the conveyor belt to vibrator on line 1 has a gap that needs sealing to acoid fines and kibble on the floor.

Cable tray under line 3 needs covering, risk kibble stuck in the cable and hard to clean, becomes dusty and dirty on long run.

Weekly Audit
Should we score them to get a graph? So, we can see the trending

List of my responsibilities:

1. Product Review: I review the products made each day on the following morning and if there are any issues, will discuss in the morning meet.

2. GMP/GHP on site

3. We need to do the HACCP documentation and so I co-ordinate the process and make sure every one is completing their tasks with regard to HACCP/GMP and GHP.

4. I have written policies like Foreign Body policy which prohibits the items like jewellery, watches, non-factory mobile phones, magazines, staples, non-factory pens, food, drinks, medicine etc. Clean as you go policy, safety knife policy, smoking policy, calibration policy, glass and plastic policy etc.

5. I need to do a lot of work, I have just bought the ISO 9001:2008 standards today. With the help of it I will do more work.

6. I am responsible for the pest control on site.

7. Training with regards to food safety and quality.

8. Investigation of consumer complaints and doing KPI and organizing meetings to communicate the complaints with the Managers and related associates to reduce them.

9. Responsible for quality from the point of packing.

10. That is all as I can think now.

Thanks again

Julie

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:59 PM

I agree with Bo without senior management commitment and REAL commitment at that you may as well forget it. The strange thing is if asked a senior manager will always say “I’m committed” but most of the time they do not know what it is or how to demonstrate it.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Bo Smith

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:43 AM

I think your GMP audit is breaking its boundaries. I feel it should be more simple. I'll share with you some items from our GMP audit. Keep in mind, items your auditing will be different depending on the facility. Example --Bakery vs Meat Processing

DAILY SUPERVISOR GMP AUDIT

DATE: __/___/___

DEPARTMENT/AREA ____________________________

SHIFT: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th

Supervisor Performing Audit (Please Type): _______________________________________

OBSERVATIONS
Qualitative Description (Write down response or action)

SECTION A – Employee Hygiene

1. Hand Washed Properly/Gloves worn? Yes No
2. Hairnets/Beardnets worn Properly? Bump Caps Clean? Yes No
3. Any other jewelry besides plain bands? Fingernail Polish/Artificial Nails? Yes No
4. Any evidence of Food/Candy/Gum/Etc…? Yes No
5. Hand Wash station(s) Clean – Paper towels, Soap, Sanitizer? Yes No
6. Associates in area have noticeable injury or illness? Any uncovered blue bandages observed? Yes No
7. Any Personal Items or items being carried above waist? Yes No

SECTION B – Manufacturing Processes

1. Containers properly labeled (Do all vats/Tubs/Raw materials/cases/combos have identification tags)? Yes No
2. Proper Smock Color in Use? Proper smock placement being followed? Yes No
3. Are draggers present in the area? Yes No
4. Are food handling Associates touching Dirty surfaces? Yes No
5. Is work area Good Housekeeping being followed? Yes No
6. All product ingredients/packaging materials covered when not in use? Yes No
7. Cross Contamination – Evidence of issues? Is proper Traffic Flow Being Followed? Yes No
8. Product storage at bulk areas (Possibility for cross Contamination)? Yes No

SECTION C – Facility

1. Ventilation and Fan fixtures clean? Yes No
2. Peeling Paint in area? Yes No
3. Condensation in Area? Yes No
4. Lighting in area – Damaged lense covers, burnt out bulbs, dirty light fixtures Yes No
5. Hose nozzles off floor? Proper spraying procedures Followed? Yes No

SUPERVISOR SIGNATURE: ___________________________________________

DATE: ___/___/___

Any Deficiency found should be documented on reverse side with corrective actions.

FOR EACH DEFICIENCY NOTED, CORRECTIVE ACTION IS REQUIRED TO BE COMPLETED BY THE SUPERVISOR

CORRECTIVE ACTIONS

SECTION: ITEM:
COMPLETION

DATE

DESCRIPTION OF CORRECTIVE ACTION:

COMPLETION

DATE

COMPLETION

DATE

COMPLETION

DATE

POSITIVE FEEDBACK GIVEN TO ASSOCIATE FOLLOWING PROPER GMP’s:

Bo Smith

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:46 AM

The format of that really got messed up. I don't see an edit option...sorry. You should be able to pick out the audit items.

Bo Smith

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:59 AM

List of my responsibilities:

1. Product Review: I review the products made each day on the following morning and if there are any issues, will discuss in the morning meet. I feel this should be the sole responsibility of the quality department.

2. GMP/GHP on site--Utilizing an audit form similar to the one I posted above, people other than yourself should be conducting these audits. Frequency should be at least weekly.

3. We need to do the HACCP documentation and so I co-ordinate the process and make sure every one is completing their tasks with regard to HACCP/GMP and GHP.
I think you will find a lot of good HACCP information on this site.

4. I have written policies like Foreign Body policy which prohibits the items like jewellery, watches, non-factory mobile phones, magazines, staples, non-factory pens, food, drinks, medicine etc. Clean as you go policy, safety knife policy, smoking policy, calibration policy, glass and plastic policy etc. This will be audited during GMP/GHP audits.

5. I need to do a lot of work, I have just bought the ISO 9001:2008 standards today. With the help of it I will do more work.

6. I am responsible for the pest control on site. I'm assuming you're outsourcing this.

7. Training with regards to food safety and quality. One way of engaging people is training other people where they are knowledgable to conduct training. If you could have volunteers from the floor qualified to conduct these training classes, it will also have a greater impact in your success.

8. Investigation of consumer complaints and doing KPI and organizing meetings to communicate the complaints with the Managers and related associates to reduce them.
Wow, they have piled a lot of stuff on you. I am inspired by reading this one, specifically concerning investigation of consumer complaints. I am going to explore the possibility of have my sanitation team members participate in investigating consumer complaints.

What type of staffing do you have to help you with all of these responsibilities?

One more piece of advice. You have a lot of responsibilities. There's a saying I've learned in sanitation during my years. Trust God, check and verify everyone else.
Follow up on all things you're responsible for. Do not trust that people will be doing what they are supposed to be doing.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:13 PM

The format of that really got messed up. I don't see an edit option...sorry. You should be able to pick out the audit items.

I tidied it up a little for you Bo.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Julie

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:34 AM

Hello Simon the wonder man :surprise:

Thanks a lot. You are superb.

Julie

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:13 PM

Hello Simon the wonder man :surprise:

Thanks a lot. You are superb.

Julie

Ahem I wear my underwear on the inside thank you. :smile:

Julie

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:57 PM

HAHAHAH

I said you are a wonder man not a super man!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:18 PM

HAHAHAH

I said you are a wonder man not a super man!

Julie…are you my Mother? I’m getting a little bit suspicious with all the compliments you are giving me. :smile:

Regards,
Simon

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users