- - - - -

cja

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 24 September 2003 - 05:36 PM

B) Allow. May some one have a small description of criteria and flow of the decision tree concerning risk level, without buying the Standart ?

Thanks,

Carlos

Ken

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 93 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:WORK: ISO / FSSC 22000 & ISO 9001 Lead Auditor training,
    PLAY: Music concerts/festivals. Folk & Heavy Rock!. Play various instruments, including mandolin, guitar, banjo and bouzouki.

Posted 29 September 2003 - 06:03 AM

Carlos

If I've understood your question correctly - there is a haccp 'decision tree' which is used to determine the critical hazards from others.

This can bee seen in any text book on haccp.

The assessmet of risk i.e. liklehood and severity is very subjective and depends very much on the type of hazard and circumstances of the situation.

Guidance on these isn't in the standard - for this you have to refer to a decent book on haccp

Regards

Ken

Edwina Chicken Currie

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

Posted 01 October 2003 - 10:52 AM

From memory, the category A or B decision tree asks whether your material is food contact or non-food contact.

If food contact - does the food have a natural barrier (eg: banana skin - thrown away, not ingested). If yes - Cat A, if no - Cat B.

If non-food contact - will your material enter an area in which exposed food is held/located etc, and present a contamination hazard? If yes - Cat B, if no - Cat A.

It's worth talking to your customers about the second part of the decision.

Hope this helps :)

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 01 October 2003 - 11:49 AM

Hi Fiona,

The process you have described for determining risk category for the BRC/IoP Packaging Standard is perfectly correct

I had asumed though that Carlos was talking about the BRC Global Standard - Food (because of where his question is posted) - is there a risk level decision tree for the food standard also???

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Ken

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 93 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
    PLAY: Music concerts/festivals. Folk & Heavy Rock!. Play various instruments, including mandolin, guitar, banjo and bouzouki.

Posted 02 October 2003 - 08:08 AM

Simon

A slightly different question to Carlos but one I can answer.

The BRC Food Standard has 2 levels; foundation and higher.The standard is laid out much in the same way as the packaging standard but instead of columns for A&B, B only and recommendations, there are columns for foundation level, higher level and recommnedations.

There are specific requirements for both and to attain 'higher' level you have to conform to all the requirments in the 'higher column and the foundation column.

There is a product category rating which determins the audit frequecy (1 & 2) with a '2' the highest category rating e.g. if you are a category 2 and meet the requirements of the foundation level you are re audited every 6 months. At higher level it is every 12 months. For every other combination the audit frequency is every 12 months

Having worked with both standards during my consultancy work, I've got used to the differences. The BRC food standard has many points in common with the packaging standard but overall it's scope is much wider, is more demanding and off course the interpretation when applied to food manufacturing can be very different.

Hope this helps

Ken

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 02 October 2003 - 09:31 AM

Thanks for clearing that up for us Ken...much appreciated. Just one more thing - is it up to the food businesses themselves to determine whether they need/want to achieve foundation or higher? I suppose their customers play a part.

Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Ken

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 93 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 October 2003 - 03:22 PM

Simon

The company can decide if they want to go for foundation or higher, although a high percentage of companies do achieve and maintain higher level.

For say a high risk chilled food businesses it is not unknown for a customer to insist on certification to the higher level.

It all depends on who your customer is and the type of product you produce which will determine which level you aim for.

Regards

Ken

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 October 2003 - 03:32 PM

Thank you Ken your comments are very helpful.

Simon

cja

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 06 October 2003 - 05:11 PM

Thank you all for your help.

Carlos