• Quick Navigation
Photo

Department KPI's - How do you define yours?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic
* - - - - 1 votes

Gaia

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:32 AM

Hi,

I am currently trying to address our departments KPIs which really isn't as easy as it sounds! With the operational/production departments they have targets, time spans and costs to work to and achieve, but what cost can you put on food safety, if we get it wrong we are talking about our consumers being ill, losing custom, or in a worse case scenario being shut down by an EHO!

Does anybody have any suggestions about how I can put a value on a technical department using SMART objectives?

Thanks

Mark Fuller

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:31 AM

Dear Gaia,
We can certainly help you with your KPI's and importantly provide you with the Quality Management tool to help you clearly demonstrate that ALL business departments are meeting (or not) their KPI's.

This tool will also help you identify opportunties for continuous improvement to further drive the business forward through your chosen KPI's.

You can find more information about what we do at www.qmach.com and if you would like to see how we can help, my colleagues will be delighted to provide you with a short and free web based demonstration of our capability.

Thanks

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:48 PM

Dear Gaia,
We can certainly help you with your KPI's and importantly provide you with the Quality Management tool to help you clearly demonstrate that ALL business departments are meeting (or not) their KPI's.

This tool will also help you identify opportunties for continuous improvement to further drive the business forward through your chosen KPI's.

You can find more information about what we do at www.qmach.com and if you would like to see how we can help, my colleagues will be delighted to provide you with a short and free web based demonstration of our capability.

Thanks

I'm not a user of the software but I have seen it in action and I would encourage any member to take up Mark's offer of a free web demo.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:46 AM

EHO I know.

KPI, SMART no idea. Sorry.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 09 September 2009 - 03:51 AM

Hi Gaia!

An old tread on the forum may help you.

"Measurable Objectives for a Food Safety Policy?, ISO 22000:2005 - 5.2 Food Safety Policy" http://www.ifsqn.com...?showtopic=1308

I know, there is difference BTW "food safety objectives" and KPI's but I hope you can extract some useful information and guidelines from there to make your own KPI's.

BTW, let me share some of our KPI's:

1. No Major/Critical NC at the time of Internal/External Audit.
2. Reduced Number of food safety complaints/problems per quarter.
3. Reduced Number of breakdowns and downtimes that may affect food safety.
4. Reduced Percentage of rejection of material at incoming, storage, and processing.
5. Number of Corrective Actions completed successfully (Success Criteria: No recurrence at least during one year).
6. Number of recorded food safety trainings conducted/facilitated/attended.

Hope it works!

Thanked by 1 Member:
ati

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:08 AM

EHO I know.

KPI, SMART no idea. Sorry.

Rgds / Charles.C

KPI = Key Performance Indicators

SMART = Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Timebound

It is said that targets should be SMART.

Hi Gaia!

An old tread on the forum may help you.

"Measurable Objectives for a Food Safety Policy?, ISO 22000:2005 - 5.2 Food Safety Policy" http://www.ifsqn.com...?showtopic=1308

I know, there is difference BTW "food safety objectives" and KPI's but I hope you can extract some useful information and guidelines from there to make your own KPI's.

BTW, let me share some of our KPI's:

1. No Major/Critical NC at the time of Internal/External Audit.
2. Reduced Number of food safety complaints/problems per quarter.
3. Reduced Number of breakdowns and downtimes that may affect food safety.
4. Reduced Percentage of rejection of material at incoming, storage, and processing.
5. Number of Corrective Actions completed successfully (Success Criteria: No recurrence at least during one year).
6. Number of recorded food safety trainings conducted/facilitated/attended.

Hope it works!

Nice work Zeeshan. :clap:

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:02 AM

Nice work Zeeshan. :clap:

KPI = Key Performance Indicators

SMART = Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Timebound

It is said that targets should be SMART.

Dear Simon,

Thank you for your complements!

I also want to share my knowledge regarding SMART.

Once a trainer told us during a session that definition of SMART is not a standard one. To him, most appropriate definition is

SMART = Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Resource-Bound, Time-Bound

He justified that since only Realistic objectives or goals are Achievable, it is more appropriate to elaborate 'R' as 'Resource-Bound' as defining resources in the objective statement is one of the most important thing to do.

Regards:
Zeeshan

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:20 AM

Dear Simon,

Thank you for your complements!

I also want to share my knowledge regarding SMART.

Once a trainer told us during a session that definition of SMART is not a standard one. To him, most appropriate definition is

SMART = Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Resource-Bound, Time-Bound

He justified that since only Realistic objectives or goals are Achievable, it is more appropriate to elaborate 'R' as 'Resource-Bound' as defining resources in the objective statement is one of the most important thing to do.

Regards:
Zeeshan

Hi Zeeshan, at first I agreed with your conclusion of the similarity of A and R in my example but then I saw this:

Reference: http://www.scn.org/c...les/pd-smar.htm

The objectives of a project should be "SMART." They should be:

S pecific: clear about what, where, when, and how the situation will be changed;

M easurable: able to quantify the targets and benefits;

A chievable: able to attain the objectives (knowing the resources and capacities at the disposal of the community);

R ealistic: able to obtain the level of change reflected in the objective; and

T ime bound: stating the time period in which they will each be accomplished.

Then I',m not so sure again. It does not matter really it is just a reminder of how to set about setting targets.

Regards,
Simon

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:35 PM

I found an extension to the SMART acronym.

SMAARTER

S pecific
M easurable
A chievable
A greed
R ealistic
T imed
E valuated
R eviewed

It was in a book related to an education plan for children with special needs. They must have an improvement plan in place and the goals should be in line with SMAARTER.

Regards,
Simon

Thanked by 1 Member:

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:28 AM

Dear Simon,

Really a good job! :thumbup:

I agreed with your point of view that acronym (like SMART, SMAARTER, 5S, 5W-2H, etc.) serve as a tool to remember a concept or system and hence help us to do the thing in a right way easily.

Regards.

Zeeshan.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:34 AM

I found an extension to the SMART acronym.

SMAARTER

S pecific
M easurable
A chievable
A greed
R ealistic
T imed
E valuated
R eviewed

Regards,
Simon

I like this thanks Simon. :thumbup:

The fundamental thing with KPI's is that the performance is regularly reviewed. My previous company was fanatical about them and had a comprehensive weekly report for all departments. Most of the KPI's were presented in graphical from against targets and previous performance so it was easy to see how you were performing.

Regards,

Tony :smile:

pawilliams1

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Food Safety, Quality Management Systems, HACCP

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:45 AM

I know that these days KPI's and all sorts of acronyms and abbreviations are in vogue, and as QA I should probably embrace all of this with open arms (and eyes wide shut!) but I do have one question to ask - where has all the common sense gone?

Surely the most basic KPI's for any food producer must be:-

(a) you haven't killed anyone
(b) you haven't made anyone ill
© the food is safe
(d) you haven't annoyed your enforcement officer so much that he wants to close you down or serve enforcement notices
(e) you don't have many complaints
(f) you are making a half decent margin on your sales

These are very measureable, hopefully achieved quite easily and fit all of the SMART criteria. If you start adding more KPI's then you make the job more complicated than it needs to be!

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:36 AM

© the food is safe

Understand your thinking Paul but sorry you can't have copyright on this !

Regards,

pawilliams1

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Wales
    Wales
  • Interests:Food Safety, Quality Management Systems, HACCP

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:49 AM

Understand your thinking Paul but sorry you can't have copyright on this !

Regards,

Hi Tony - the copyright only on safe food, not the rest! If you want to produce safe food you have to pay royalties to me! A penny per kilo of all of safe food produced in the world would do me fine - I don't want to be greedy.

Don't you just hate it when your computer decides it knows better than you and just changes what you're typing! And even worse that one didn't notice!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:08 AM

Hi Tony - the copyright only on safe food, not the rest! If you want to produce safe food you have to pay royalties to me! A penny per kilo of all of safe food produced in the world would do me fine - I don't want to be greedy.

Don't you just hate it when your computer decides it knows better than you and just changes what you're typing! And even worse that one didn't notice!

It's not you or the computer Paul it is the forums software it always converts 'open bracket C close bracket' to © - copyright. If you make a list in a post here you must always use numbers. :smile: :rolleyes:

Regards,
Simon

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users