RoRo

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 24 September 2003 - 08:38 PM

Hi:

I'm starting to implement the BRC global standard Food in a Fresh Fruit Packing which exports to its products into UK and USA.

The Fresh fruits are defined by the BRC as a retailer's brand product, however fruits are not sold with their original packaging materials.

Is it required that fresh fruits packaging producers (companies that produces boxes, PLU plasters...) meets the BRC standard for Packaging or maybe just our company have to run a risk analysis and an approval procedure?

I would be grateful if somebody could help me

Thanks

R Wagner

Guest_Carl Phillips_*
  • Guests
  • thanks

Posted 25 September 2003 - 06:42 AM

Hello,

Most retailers require all packaging suppliers to achieve the BRC standard for packaging. The retailers over here enjoy ROI and their amazing power allows them to force cost down the supply chain wherever possible. We all get cheap goods but dozens of nuts get crushed along the way.

SQA has been a large cost for retailers in the past and as you can imagine for someone like Tescos that cost may have run into six figures a year. Now with the BRC Food, Packaging and now Consumer Products standards this shifts the onus of responsibility and saves them a bundle.

From what you've told us so far I would say yes the packaging supplier would need to be certified and would probably be Category A (lower level). When ‘if ever' the pressure would be applied if you did decide to take no action is the unknown factor.

Carl

RoRo

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 30 September 2003 - 09:16 PM

Thanks Carl

I will promote the BRC packaging standard among my providers. However I do not know If they 'll can comply it.

Rodrigo

Ken

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 93 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:WORK: ISO / FSSC 22000 & ISO 9001 Lead Auditor training,
    PLAY: Music concerts/festivals. Folk & Heavy Rock!. Play various instruments, including mandolin, guitar, banjo and bouzouki.

Posted 08 October 2003 - 08:21 PM

Carl

There isn't a requirement under the BRC Food Standard for packaging suppliers to comply with the BRC Packaging standard - its up to you to have a system in place for the control and monitoring of suppliers.

However a particular customer may force this requirement on their supplier.

Regards

Ken

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users