• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 10 October 2009 - 06:25 PM

Hi everybody:

Is there any traceability prosedure for catering services? How does traceability contribute to prevent production fals that maybe happen during processing steps?

Thanks

Edited by hygienic, 10 October 2009 - 06:26 PM.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:22 AM

Hi everybody:

Is there any traceability prosedure for catering services? How does traceability contribute to prevent production fals that maybe happen during processing steps?

Thanks

Sample attached from the Food Service Manuals.

Attached File  Catering_Identification_and_Traceability_Procedure_Sample.pdf   138.99KB   1214 downloads

A traceability system does not directly prevent failures but assists in controlling food that is unsatisfactory and also in investigating the cause so as to prevent a repetition.

Regards,

Tony :smile:

Thanked by 2 Members:

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,848 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:05 AM

Attached File  Catering_Identification_and_Traceability_Procedure_Sample.pdf   138.99KB   1214 downloads

A traceability system does not directly prevent failures but assists in controlling food that is unsatisfactory and also in investigating the cause so as to prevent a repetition.

Regards,

Yep, as part of that control, it means that if you knew you had a problem with a certain ingredient, you could work out what it had gone into to prevent consumer illness. Likewise if you had a case where a dish had caused a food safety issue, e.g. a stone found in a meal, you could trace back the potential ingredients which caused the issue.

Whatever traceability system you come up with, remember it needs testing. I have used recipe sheets before in ready meals where the person weighing out records the traceability info of each ingredient but I'm unsure whether it's practical to go that far in catering and I bet you your average Michelin starred establishment doesn't.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:03 AM

Whatever traceability system you come up with, remember it needs testing. I have used recipe sheets before in ready meals where the person weighing out records the traceability info of each ingredient but I'm unsure whether it's practical to go that far in catering and I bet you your average Michelin starred establishment doesn't.

Absolutely - with a restaurant serving single meals at a time this is a little impractical and more general traceablilty by goods in date/use by batch would probably be applied together with adequate stock rotation procedures. End product traceabilty is more practical in batch producing catering outlets.

Regards,

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:50 AM

Traceability in catering is a bit difficult for each and every ingredient as well as each dish in al a carte. Traceability records are maintained for meat/poultry/fish & sea-foods daily. During batch production it is still feasible. Food ingredients like veggies, fruits,milk, eggs, spices it is very difficult to have traceability records instead records like raw material receiving, storage,finished product temp logs are maintained.

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:56 AM

Regular traceability exercises shall help in setting up a better system. Foods from buffet, shelf or complaints should be traced back to see if the system works. This also includes cleaning records, staff health & personal hygiene, equipment maintenance, calibration, audit or inspection reports.

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

Chempavai

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:06 PM

Hi

What I have done in my hotel is I have one single format starting from the batch of raw material received through all the processes (Thawing, cooking, cooling, reheating, & holding) for all the non veg items. For all the groceries the batch no,. present in the kitchen is entered before each shift.

regards
Chempavai.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:23 PM

Hi

What I have done in my hotel is I have one single format starting from the batch of raw material received through all the processes (Thawing, cooking, cooling, reheating, & holding) for all the non veg items. For all the groceries the batch no,. present in the kitchen is entered before each shift.

regards
Chempavai.

Hi Chempavai,

Do the veg items not have any hazards associated with them then?

Regards,

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:55 AM

Dear All:

Still i didnt get satisfactory answer , please help me to find trancability system for catering.

I am still searshing but no avail .

Hygienice

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:48 AM

Dear All:

Still i didnt get satisfactory answer , please help me to find trancability system for catering.

I am still searshing but no avail .

Hygienice

The sample I posted for you should give you a fair idea
http://www.ifsqn.com...&attach_id=1496

Heard of the phrase you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink? Posted Image

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:45 AM

Regards,

Tony Posted Image

Thank you Tony for your input.I will try to implement it but as i know in catering services is difficult.

Hygienice

althene

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 34 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:33 PM

Hi everyone!
Stumbled through this post while I was looking on re-vamping my own traceability procedure at my hotel.
What I was thinking on adding to the procedure are the following:

• batch codes of delivered items to be inputted at delivery invoices
  • main food store issuing items to include at the remarks for computer generated issuance receipt the batch codes
  • par stocking at individual outlet pantries for monitoring when a certain batch was used including cards to monitor current stocks at hand and when a certain stock was requested
  • when a food item is cooked but is stored for re-heating for use later on, the cooking or preparation date would serve as the batch number to be written down at CCP monitoring records
  • any food item received or had been used with a deviation from CCP limits have to be documented or logged until final service to consumer.
  • CCP monitoring records to be kept for 6 months
Might have missed out some areas. Your inputs would be appreciated.:)

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users