shelly

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:21 PM

Hi,

Could anyone please inform if under the BRC Global Standard - Food it is a requirement to purchase goods from a BRC Accreditated company only i.e would the primary packaging you are placing your food products into be required to be purchased from a BRC/IoP - Global Standard Packaging company? We are a BRC/IoP Accreditated packaging company but i am not familiar with the food standard, if anyone could forward the clauses regarding company's suppliers it would be much appreciated, likewise any details you maybe able to provide.

Many thanks in advance

Shelly

Koko LMQ

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 122 posts
  • 28 thanks
Neutral

• Thailand
    Thailand

Posted 20 October 2005 - 05:03 PM

Hi Shelly,

2.10 Purchasing:
The company shall control all its purchasing processes whihc are critical to product safety, legality and quality to ensure products and services procured conform to defined requirements.

4.4 Product packaging:
Product packaging shall be appropriate for the intended use and stored under conditions to minimise the risk of contamination and deterioration.

4.4.1 Procedures shall be in place to confirm that products packaging conforms to specification
4.4.2 Packaging shal comply with relevant food safety legislation and suitability for use.

I think there is no requirement for BRC FOOD company to purchase the packaging from BRC/IoP supplier.

NY

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 20 October 2005 - 06:38 PM

Hi Shelly,
I think there is no requirement for BRC FOOD company to purchase the packaging from BRC/IoP supplier.

NY can you just confirm the requirements are from the latest version of the Standard. I don't have a copy but it does seem strange that there is no requirment for BRC Food approved companies to use BRC Packaging approved suppliers. In the packaging standard it does mention something along the lines that suppliers should have BRC/IOP or at least have the same operating standards in place.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

SAM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 146 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Snowboarding, bruises (due to the snowboarding), reading, films, dancing, music

Posted 21 October 2005 - 03:24 PM

We are an accredited food company. Quite a few packaging companies that supply our site don't have any accreditation at all. Some are small one man businesses.

As far as I'm aware, as long as you can prove that you have assessed the supplier, there is no need for them to be accredited to anything. We send supplier questionnaires to them, once they return it, completed, we evaluate the supplier, and then if needed, we visit them and judge for ourselves.

Nadine

Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth.
--Mark Twain

Koko LMQ

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 122 posts
  • 28 thanks
Neutral

• Thailand
    Thailand

Posted 21 October 2005 - 04:26 PM

Shelly,

Yes, it is quoted from BRC Food Issue Jan 2005. I think your quotation from BRC/IoP clause 4.11.2 and it is needed to ask your supplier to certify the BRC/IoP but if no, you have to ask them to undertake adequate technical practices as SAM's.

NY

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users