Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:45 AM

1. I have purchased a steam sterilizers - Batch type.
2. I want to sterilize the following products - Red Chili Powder, Corriander Powder, Black Pepper both Whole and powder.
3. I dont know exactly at what parameters I should carry out sterilization and what would be its effect on the products.
4. Can I do sterilization in open condition or in packed conditions. If packed conditions then what kind of packing should I use.
5. What will be effects of steam on Chilli.
6. What temperature should I use, how much should be pressure and how much time should hold at particular temperature.

Please can any body help me into this.

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:03 PM

Dear Kumar,

Hope the link below may be useful.

http://www.wipo.int/...mp;DISPLAY=DESC

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

Hongyun

Finger Lickin' Good

• IFSQN Member
  • 241 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:43 PM

Hi J,

Thanks for the link. But the patent states to use temperature lesser than 121degC for 3-5mins. Is it sufficient enough to destory pathogens in the spices?

@ Kumar,

Isn't it better to contact your supplier for the recommended parameters for the sterilization?

One disadvantage of steam sterilization, as mentioned in previous posts, can cause discoloration of spices like chilli and paprika.

"World Community Grid made it possible for us to analyze in one day the number of specimens that would take approximately 130 years to complete using a traditional computer."

- Dr. David J. Foran, professor and lead researcher at The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

Join our LinkedIn Group! >> <<

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:13 AM

Hi Hongyun,

That is when one has to consider the validation part of the selected procedure. It is of paramount importance to monitor or evaluate the efficacy of any process and should be duly conducted to ensure that pathogens have been killed. BI (Biological indicators) are selected where their resistance to the temperature is known and then subject them to the selected time / temp procedure and then evaluate the results. Commonly used organisms (known D values) are B.sterothermophilus, B.subtilis, C.albicans, A.niger, C.sporogenes etc..usually endospores are used due to their strong resistance anmd have high D values. Known populations of cells or endospores are usually subjected to the selected procedure and determine the growth after a certain period of time. Usually these are done in well equipped and specialized labs due to the required environmental and sterile conditions required.

@Kumar

I would also suggest you to contact your supplier for getting the validated results for the efficacy of the machine.

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

SaRaRa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 186 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:49 PM

Thanked by 1 Member:

Kumar

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 11 December 2009 - 06:59 AM

Thanks everybody for your kind help.

I have been trying trial and error method to work out exact cycle to sterilize.

Hongyun

Finger Lickin' Good

• IFSQN Member
  • 241 posts
  • 20 thanks
Neutral

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:00 AM

Hi Hongyun,

That is when one has to consider the validation part of the selected procedure. It is of paramount importance to monitor or evaluate the efficacy of any process and should be duly conducted to ensure that pathogens have been killed. BI (Biological indicators) are selected where their resistance to the temperature is known and then subject them to the selected time / temp procedure and then evaluate the results. Commonly used organisms (known D values) are B.sterothermophilus, B.subtilis, C.albicans, A.niger, C.sporogenes etc..usually endospores are used due to their strong resistance anmd have high D values. Known populations of cells or endospores are usually subjected to the selected procedure and determine the growth after a certain period of time. Usually these are done in well equipped and specialized labs due to the required environmental and sterile conditions required.

Hi J,

Thanks for the explanation. So, one should really confirm if the patent works or not before going big scale. Then again, one must also take care and modify the process to prevent infringement of patent.

@ Kumar,

Hope Jean's explanation and Filip's search has given you some idea on which pathogens and their spores to lookout for after your trial run.

"World Community Grid made it possible for us to analyze in one day the number of specimens that would take approximately 130 years to complete using a traditional computer."

- Dr. David J. Foran, professor and lead researcher at The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.

Join our LinkedIn Group! >> <<

Dhruv

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:46 AM

Dear All

I have tried most of the cycle parameters for Spice specially chilli powder and chilli flakes. I have got good results.

However the most important product is Turmeric.

I tried at 100deg C but didnt get good results. TPC observed was high say upto 1 lac. So now I am planning to conduct another test at around 110 deg and hold for shorter time.

Does anybody have other opinions

Jomy Abraham

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 96 posts
  • 40 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:03 AM

Dear

In batch sterilizer, if you heat at 100 Deg C for 1 minute the color of the chilli will turn to a dark brick red The high microbial load may be due to the contamination from some other parameters. Please look into the following

1. Batch sterilizer Set temperature can be even at 80 Deg C for 2 min or 1 minute for better color values along with good micorbial results
2. Check the air flow ( quailty of air)
3. Pressure is very important in batch sterilizer.
4. If the target TPC is below 100cfu/gm, 80 Deg C to 100 Deg C is a good set temperature in batch sterilizer
5. Check the Change over procedure including cleaning and sanitization process of batch sterilizer after each batch production.
6. check the post process contamination.
7. Check the PH and water activity of the product
8. Check the moisture content.
9. check the air count inside the batch sterilizer after production.
10. In batch sterilizer, once the production is finished, the product is manually handling by the food handler( Is it correct?). So chekc the hand swab?
11. Product is batch sterilized in trays. Check the equipment swab
12. Manually transferring the product to a sterilized room. Chekc the air count of the room.
13. Due to the mixing of condensate with the product due to batch steriliztion, the product might be clogged together. So a beater and a sifter might have installed to sift and pack after batch sterilizer ( So check the equipment swab at this point)
14. Condition of packing material used to pack the finished good after batch sterilization at different points

For chilles and color specific products, its always better to use continous sterilizer due
1. less exposure to hot amosphere
2. better LAB value or color value....

IN BATCH STERILIZATION, POST PROCESS CONTAMINATION IS MAIN CAUSE OF HIGH MICROBIAL LOAD, IF THE STERILIZATION SET PARAMETERS ARE PROPER.

Please share your ideas...

Regards
Jomy Abraham

Dear All

I have tried most of the cycle parameters for Spice specially chilli powder and chilli flakes. I have got good results.

However the most important product is Turmeric.

I tried at 100deg C but didnt get good results. TPC observed was high say upto 1 lac. So now I am planning to conduct another test at around 110 deg and hold for shorter time.

Does anybody have other opinions

Thanked by 2 Members:

Jayaprahash

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:18 AM

Hi

Steam sterilization of spices is very different technology and process, one side microbial reduction another side quality retention. normally it can do it low temperature <100 C for 20 mints. In India all machines are imported and continuous and batch types. Noah foods have developed a different technology with low investment, they started job work for spices sterilization now they are transferring technology

you can contact.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users