• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is it acceptable for one auditor to carry out all internal audits?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Kaspars

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Latvia
    Latvia

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:36 AM

Hello,

I am updating our Internal audit procedure and can not find an exact answer to the following question - is it acceptable that internal audit is carried out by one auditor or not ? Our QMS is based on BRC Global Standard for Food Safety.

Madam A. D-tor

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 644 posts
  • 230 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands
  • Interests:meat, meat products, ready to eat, food safety, QMS, audits, hazard analyses, IFS, BRC, SQF, HACCP, ISO 9001, ISO 22000

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:36 PM

Hello Kaspars,

It is required that the auditor is independent from the audited department (3.5.2). It is also required that all aspects of the food safety and quality management system are audited at least annually (3.5.1).
If your internal auditor is independent of all systems and procedures of the food safety and quality management system, then it is acceptable for one auditor to do all the audits/processes/departments to be audited.

Mostly the internal auditor is the QA/FS responsible person. He/She is not independent of the quality/ food safety processes, but probably highly involved. For small companies (< 5 persons) it is hard to getthe objectivitiy in the audits.

Kind Regards,

Madam A. D-tor

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:42 PM

Hello Kaspars,

It is required that the auditor is independent from the audited department (3.5.2). It is also required that all aspects of the food safety and quality management system are audited at least annually (3.5.1).
If your internal auditor is independent of all systems and procedures of the food safety and quality management system, then it is acceptable for one auditor to do all the audits/processes/departments to be audited.

Mostly the internal auditor is the QA/FS responsible person. He/She is not independent of the quality/ food safety processes, but probably highly involved. For small companies (< 5 persons) it is hard to getthe objectivitiy in the audits.

I suppose if you employ someone only to audit, and they are not affiliated to any department, then i can't see aproblem.
Unfortunately, very few people can afford to do this, so it tends to fall onto the Quality function. However as Madam A D-tor says, you need objectivity so you ought to have someone as an auditor who is independant of that department.

Caz x

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:06 AM

Hello,

I am updating our Internal audit procedure and can not find an exact answer to the following question - is it acceptable that internal audit is carried out by one auditor or not ? Our QMS is based on BRC Global Standard for Food Safety.

Hi Kaspars

In small companies this is often difficult. In some of my previous roles one person from the Technical department carried out all of the internal audits. This was never questioned by the auditor but could be perceived as a non-conformance. At the end of the day BRC auditors need to be realistic. As long as the audits are satisfactory and serving the purpose they are intended then I don't see a problem.

Kind regards,

Tony

Edited by Tony-C, 29 January 2010 - 04:07 AM.

Kaspars

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Latvia
    Latvia

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:53 AM

Thank you for the replies ! Now it will be much easier to update the procedure and put the internal audit plan together.
In fact we have seven internal auditors but they all are managing a certain funcion, e.g, maintenance, logistics and all of them are as we call ''owners'' of certain QMS procedures. If an audit could be carried out by one person it is possible to comply with objectivity requirement and also audit all procedures at least yearly.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users