• Quick Navigation
Photo

ATP Testing Versus Traditional Microbiology Tests?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Anne Z

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 86 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:01 AM

Hello,

Does anyone have informatie about ATP testing versus traditional microbiology tests?
ATP test are held twice a month to see the results of the cleaning program (washing inside tankcars).

Anne

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 May 2010 - 12:51 PM

ATP can be used to check is something is "clean" but is not a micro test. It essentially looks for anything that could "feed" micro growth. It is a very quick test and is often used after cleaning. We use it on most production lines to verify the cleaning process.

I found a powerpoint on line that had this explanation:

ATP testing has several obvious advantages over conventional microbial methods for assessing surface hygiene. First, results can be obtained in seconds as opposed to days for conventional microbiology, or hours for rapid methods. ATP testing is relatively cheap at an cost of about $2.00/test, the test is simple to perform, and you don’t have to be a microbiologist to carry out the test. In addition, several investigators have reported a correlation between ATP levels and microbial populations on surfaces. Powerpoint

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:32 PM

Dear AnneZ,

Can try this -

Attached File  atp - traditional.pdf   55.23KB   145 downloads
(from http://www.hygienausa.com/index.html )

I also noticed this -

Journal of Bioluminescence and Chemiluminescence (1998)
Evaluation of two methods for monitoring surface cleanliness - ATP bioluminescence and traditional hygiene swabbing
C. A. Davidson, C. J. Griffith *, A. C. Peters, L. M. Fielding
Food Safety Research Group, University of Wales Institute Cardiff, Colchester Avenue Campus, Colchester Avenue, Cardiff CF3 7XR, UK

Abstract
The minimum bacterial detection limits and operator reproducibility of the Biotrace Clean-TraceTM Rapid Cleanliness Test and traditional hygiene swabbing were determined. Areas (100 cm2) of food grade stainless steel were separately inoculated with known levels of Staphylococcus aureus (NCTC 6571) and Escherichia coli (ATCC 25922). Surfaces were sampled either immediately after inoculation while still wet, or after 60 min when completely dry. For both organisms the minimum detection limit of the ATP Clean-TraceTM Rapid Cleanliness Test was 104 cfu/100 cm2 (p < 0.05) and was the same for wet and dry surfaces. Both organism type and surface status (i.e. wet or dry) influenced the minimum detection limits of hygiene swabbing, which ranged from 102 cfu/100 cm2 to >107 cfu/100 cm2. Hygiene swabbing percentage recovery rates for both organisms were less than 0.1% for dried surfaces but ranged from 0.33% to 8.8% for wet surfaces. When assessed by six technically qualified operators, the Biotrace Clean-TraceTM Rapid Cleanliness Test gave superior reproducibility for both clean and inoculated surfaces, giving mean coefficients of variation of 24% and 32%, respectively. Hygiene swabbing of inoculated surfaces gave a mean CV of 130%. The results are discussed in the context of hygiene monitoring within the food industry.

(Bit old, maybe some changes. Of course, the procedure is not exactly a parallel of a routine evaluation. The wonder of google)

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:18 AM

Hello,

Does anyone have informatie about ATP testing versus traditional microbiology tests?
ATP test are held twice a month to see the results of the cleaning program (washing inside tankcars).

Anne

Hi Anne

It is not always possible to get a direct correlation between ATP results and traditional tests for food contact surfaces because ATP testing will register food debris or dirt as well as bacteria. Having said that I have found a correlation between product quality and ATP results. Acceptable levels vary from site to site so the best way to progress may be to carry out duplicate sampling and establish your own acceptable ATP levels for a clean surface.

Regards,

Tony

joed

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 27 August 2010 - 03:01 PM

I am trying to open the attached power point presentation - but I get an error message. Any way you can email it to me??

ATP can be used to check is something is "clean" but is not a micro test. It essentially looks for anything that could "feed" micro growth. It is a very quick test and is often used after cleaning. We use it on most production lines to verify the cleaning process.

I found a powerpoint on line that had this explanation:

ATP testing has several obvious advantages over conventional microbial methods for assessing surface hygiene. First, results can be obtained in seconds as opposed to days for conventional microbiology, or hours for rapid methods. ATP testing is relatively cheap at an cost of about $2.00/test, the test is simple to perform, and you don’t have to be a microbiologist to carry out the test. In addition, several investigators have reported a correlation between ATP levels and microbial populations on surfaces. Powerpoint

majoy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 243 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 August 2010 - 06:05 AM

Hello,

Anne

Hi Anne,

We do ATP for food contact surfaces and equipment to check the cleanliness. Not really the microbial load but on the residues left after cleaning. to check the microbial load, micro test is conducted.

our limit is 500RLU. anything beyond that must be rewashed and cleaned.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Majoy

"Whatever you do, do it well..." - Walt Disney

Anne Z

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 86 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:20 AM

Thank you all!

For Joed there is an etra http in the link. It is http://www.slidefind...nnesota/2130091

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:31 AM

Thanks Anne.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

DAVE84

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 106 posts
  • 36 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:02 PM

ATP is ment to be used after each cleaning. Food industry was striving to have equiment which can give rapid results. Thats what ATP is. It gives you quick results about cleaning. I suggest that if we are using ATP than use it after each cleaning. Using it daily gives you idea about whats going on with your cleaning.

SherylAC

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 August 2014 - 12:46 AM

Hello, I'm Sheryl and I work for a fresh cut fruit and vegetable company. I was wondering how often others do their machine verification. All our equipment and tools are tested once a month using microbiologiy test. Can ATP replace the microbiology test or should we still keep doing the microbiology test?

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:06 PM

Hi Sheryl ! :welcome:

I believe the standard is ATP testing after a clean, to support your sanitation program.   Monthly micro will tell you different things - ATP tells you how much protein is on a surface (alive or dead, any organic matter).  Micro testing tells you how much alive bacteria are on a surface and sometimes how much bacteria are pathogenic.  They aren't interchangeable because they do not correlate, which makes a lot of people sad. 

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:08 PM

Hi SherylAC,  

:welcome: to the forum.  Coming from a produce background, we used ATP after daily sanitation every day.  We did some micro studies for Listeria on  drains, walls, etc, every day.  Contact surfaces were once a week.  Though we were a small plant we tested a lot due to the high risk nature of the product.

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users