• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:59 PM

Hello,

I am having some confusion and areas that need to be covered on 'The Register' for the BRC 4.8.4.2. Does this only include the production areas? Do the lunch rooms, break rooms, bathrooms, offices, shop, lab, etc...need to be on the list too?
Thank you so much for your input.

Michelle mish

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:15 PM

I would suggest you can make either decision depending on risk assessment. BRC are now obsessed with doing things by risk assessment so if you could prove you'd made your decision based on that then I can't see how they could argue. E.g. if you exclude these areas because no workwear is worn there, I would think that was a good argument. Remember to record your decision making process.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:05 PM

Dear GMO,

if you exclude these areas because no workwear is worn there

Same shoes for a (near) adjacent (ladies) bathroom with glass mirrors ? Hmmm.

I totally agree with yr principle but the details may require some care. IMEX, auditors are really hot on this issue these days although the sensitivity of product / process will presumably hv some influence again.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:19 AM

Good point Charles, I was holding a niggly baby at the time so I was cut short in my reply but you're right, however, I would also still use non glass mirrors in non production areas as best practice. Not saying it's a bad idea either for your glass and hard plastics log to cover the whole site but practicality may preclude that and a risk assessment is the way to go IMO if you want to justify that decision. Probably the best solution though is to have non production areas on a register but just audited infrequently (e.g. once every 2 months) and ensure all staff are aware glass breakage procedures apply to non production areas if a breakage occurs in the interim.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:51 PM

Hello,

I am having some confusion and areas that need to be covered on 'The Register' for the BRC 4.8.4.2. Does this only include the production areas? Do the lunch rooms, break rooms, bathrooms, offices, shop, lab, etc...need to be on the list too?
Thank you so much for your input.

Michelle mish

Minimize glass and brittle plastic wherever possibly, it's much easier to control. For example only purchase shatterproof tubes and then they won't get mixed up, always purchase mirrors that are safe. Less complicated and it also develops the mindset. You perhaps do not need to audit outside of production though, provided you have good barier systems on entry to production.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users