Muller-83

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 05 August 2010 - 09:47 AM

Hello One and All!

I work within the world of Thermal Processing in the UK for a large cannery. And I am in search of the Department of Health Guidelines for the Safe Production of Heat Preserved Foods 1994. This is sometimes reffered to as "The Little Orange Book" or "The Thermal Processers Bible".

I've hunted high and low all over the internet at book stores, printers and libraries who have all drawn a blank. I have even contacted the British Library who say they cannot print anymore. The Dept of Health have not been very helpful either as they tell me to contact TSO.

I know the original print of 1994 was re-issued in 2003 by TSO (The Stationary Office) but these are all in circulation and no one book store has any in stock. TSO also now no longer print the publication and have no plans to in the future.

If anyone out there knows where I can get a copy or has any spare copies "knocking around" anywhere please do get in touch. I only need one copy, but the more the merrier of course!

I look forward to hearing from all you food processors out there!

Kind Regards

Muller Posted Image

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:31 PM

I've also done a bit of searching and cannot locate it on the net. I'll BUMP this just in case anyone missed the topic during the holidays; it's a long shot, but worth a go.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:00 PM

Dear Muller,

As you found, seems that it's available at several distributors but out of stock at them all. This link might be of value if you're in the UK since it wouldn't cooperate with me when I (externally) tried it out.
http://products.ihs....SEO/168642.html

I am surprised you drew a blank with the Library System - it is my experience that the system in UK has miraculous scope for technical books via the central location which the last time i accessed it was at (I think) Boston?? Spa. Took a little time, few weeks in some very old / obscure references, but never failed me. Might be worth re-trying the request through someone in the (preferably higher) education sphere if that is a possibility, bit more of a status challenge :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

PS I guess you almost certainly know this already but the USA-FDA and national Canners organisations also issue well accepted official (and probably still in print) sets of process guidelines although it may well depend on yr precise product.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Muller-83

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:43 PM

Simon,

Many thanks, let me know how you get on. Much appreciated!!

Charles,

Thanks also. I too have seen the IHS website and have a meeting with one of their representatives this Thursday infact. I am based in the UK and all of our customers and suppliers always quote from this set of guidelines. So I would primarily like to bolster our numbers of reference but the US-FDA guidelines would be a very useful point of reference to strengthen our ways of working certainly. Thanks for that idea.

Kind Regards

Muller

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users