• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:33 PM

Dear All,

Our scope as a catering is delivering & servicing food to the consumers , I need traditional chemical names for cockroaches , flies and rodents. I want to know and be aware about the chemical names and the purpose of using, as i mentioned above some for flies and other for cockroaches.

Sharing is highly appreciated

Regards
Hygienice

Kamwenji Njuma

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 131 posts
  • 47 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya
  • Interests:Food safety,Quality,Hygiene and Agricultural consultancy.HACCP,BRC Food,ISO22000.ISO9001,GLOBALG.A.P,Etc

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:52 AM

Dear Hygienic,

I have not gotten your quiz.Do you require scientific names i.e genus and species names for these pests or do you require the chemicals that are used to rid or control these pests.Please elaborate.

Regards,
Kamwenji Njuma

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 August 2010 - 12:31 PM

Dear Hygienic,

I have not gotten your quiz.Do you require scientific names i.e genus and species names for these pests or do you require the chemicals that are used to rid or control these pests.Please elaborate.

Regards,
Kamwenji Njuma

Dear Kamwenji :

Thanks for your interest m I require the chemicals that use to control the pests.

Regards

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:10 PM

Powerful chemicals such as those used in pest control should be handled, stored, dosed and used carefully and correctly. I would recommend you contact a professional pest control contractor to support you with this.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Bhavin Raval

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India
  • Interests:Food Safety, Quality Management Systems, Microbiology, Meditation

Posted 25 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

Dear Hygenic,

In my company, Pest control service proveder is using following chemicals

1. Cyflothrin ( synthetic pyrethroid) - for sprying purpose
2. Deltamethrin - for sprying purpos (odorless)
3.Fipronil - main ingredient in glu pad , used for trapping rodents (using inside the processing area)
4.Bromadiolone - Cake to be used in outside premise to kill rodents

That's the details i hade with me. Pest Control India is our service provider.

If you need any more details, let me know.

Regards

Bhavin

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:51 PM

Dear Bhavin,

Thanks for suggestions. My guess is that these are all brand names and possibly specific to India ? Only Hygienic knows for sure of course ??? :smile:

I have occasionally, probably like many other people, used a pyrethroid for external fly spraying in non-food sensitive areas via semi-safety knowledge borrowed from the monthly service team. But I think that Simon is correct that, for the real food places, one has to trust (ie request validation documentation) that the professional local chemicals are appropriate. Based on received reactions to previous comment, i think that many food companies simply get away with quoting a well-known name.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 26 August 2010 - 06:52 PM

Powerful chemicals such as those used in pest control should be handled, stored, dosed and used carefully and correctly. I would recommend you contact a professional pest control contractor to support you with this.

Dear Simon:

The contractor said he wil use organic insecticide from thyme or garlice I dont think so will be effective.And he provided me a list of some commercial chemicals approved by the local authority but nothing mention on the license to recommend these chemical to use in the food facility .

Hygienic

Edited by hygienic, 26 August 2010 - 07:05 PM.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:19 PM

Dear Simon:

The contractor said he Will use organic insecticide from thyme or garlic I don't think so will be effective.And he provided me a list of some commercial chemicals approved by the local authority but nothing mention on the license to recommend these chemical to use in the food facility .

Hygienic

Hello Hygienic,

Why not add a sprig of rosemary for good measure. :dunno:

I'm out of my depth with pest control chemicals, so I will leave it to the Sages. :smile:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Bhavin Raval

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India
  • Interests:Food Safety, Quality Management Systems, Microbiology, Meditation

Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:18 AM

Dear Bhavin,

Thanks for suggestions. My guess is that these are all brand names and possibly specific to India ? Only Hygienic knows for sure of course ??? Posted Image

I have occasionally, probably like many other people, used a pyrethroid for external fly spraying in non-food sensitive areas via semi-safety knowledge borrowed from the monthly service team. But I think that Simon is correct that, for the real food places, one has to trust (ie request validation documentation) that the professional local chemicals are appropriate. Based on received reactions to previous comment, i think that many food companies simply get away with quoting a well-known name.

Rgds / Charles.C

Dear Charles,

Thanks for your repy, but the chemicals are manufactured by Bayer(India) Limited and are available with MSDS.
Secondly , PCI is tied up with Brandenburg UK and OCS group UK for their pest management service so these are approved by auditors as well.

As for certification audit i had auditor from TUV and they were satisfied with the documents given for pest management service.

Regards,
BhavinPosted Image

Kamwenji Njuma

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 131 posts
  • 47 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya
  • Interests:Food safety,Quality,Hygiene and Agricultural consultancy.HACCP,BRC Food,ISO22000.ISO9001,GLOBALG.A.P,Etc

Posted 28 August 2010 - 08:07 AM

Dear Hygienic,

The chemical names given by Bhavin are actually the active ingredients of the pest control chemicals and not brand names.Having used them in our production area for years i would recommend that you contact your pest controller for guidance.Also,the active ingredients in these pesticides are not in the prohibit list or banned products for the MRLS list provided by the EU.

Regards,

Kamwenji

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 28 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

Dear Bhavin / Kamwenji,

Many thks yr replies.

Regarding terminology, I think you are correct after a little internetting. In fact these are apparently ISO “common” names, as for example in this huge compilation
http://www.alanwood....x_cn_frame.html

@ Kamwenji – are you saying that the EC issues a list of insecticidal components etc considered as safe for use within / around food establishments. Please clarify as I could not find any mention of such a compilation. And to echo the original post from Hygienic, I could not find any mention of approval for use in, or adjacent to, food related establishments in a few data sheets I looked at.

As an example, one of the items mentioned by Bhavin, fipronil, has quite an interesting description here –
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fipronil
It also has a more technically detailed data sheet here –
http://npic.orst.edu...ts/DeltaGen.pdf

In view of the intended application, it is of course hardly surprising that some level of toxicity is one of its “desirable” properties. I frankly found the wiki entry rather alarming but my technical ability to assess such data is lacking so it may be not of unusual significance within the genre.

I do presume some kind of risk assessment is carried out by the manufacturers regarding the safety of subsequent usage in specific food environments. (Have to regretfully say that I have never pursued this aspect myself (relied on pest control service / their list of locally approved chemicals] or been asked about such in-depth matters by auditors. ??)

Here is another quite impressive looking example with a clear “approved” opening statement –
http://www2.syngenta...oschure_low.pdf
However I could not see any mention of restrictions such as near to food producing applications. It is possible that information of this type is only mentioned where the specific application is under discussion within the publication ??

I am sure the actual situation is in fact much better protected than I hv so far determined but where ??

Good question Hygienic ! :thumbup:

Rgds / Charles.C

PS just to illustrate that this kind if issue is not new, here is a 1999 sort of related publication -

Attached File  haccp - pest control - reports_ICUP435.pdf   43.05KB   97 downloads

This 2002 US link also has some (US) relevance -
http://www.pesticide...yUS.html#EPA25b

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users