Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:27 AM

Hey, just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or knows to how solve it. We are a frozen food company and need to take the temperature of all incoming and out going product when its being shipped/recieved at the plant. Problem is we can't open anything before shipping because of the product tampering tape. Any suggestions?

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:53 AM

Temperature prior to sealing then between pack / surface probes and calibrated alarms / logging which prove temperatures in transport / storage didn't drop which are checked prior to release?

Sorry about the poor English, baby is on my knee!

jenmaw

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:59 AM

We do take the temperature prior to sealing but then it can be put into storage for a while so we need to take the temperature before it is shipped I was just wondering how we could get an accurate temperature of the product without reopening any totes.
Thanks,
Jen

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:38 PM

I would say an accurate core temperture isn't possible, however, you could monitor the storage temperatures and ensure these do not fall outside of a given range and take surface temperature doing some validation work to confirm this is valid and representative. I can't see any other way of doing it tbh.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:20 PM

Dear jenmaw,

Not sure if I fully understand your lingo. Is “tote” a master (outer) carton or ??, ie an outer carton which may internally contain either single or multiple sub-packaging ?

Not sure if my comment below is the same thing as GMO / yourself were already discussing.

If my understanding of yr requirement is correct, one recognised method for assessing the internal temperature of contents is to, externally, insert a probe, typically a thermocouple, between master cartons. The only specific requirement IMEX is that a tight fit is achieved, ie good contact with both adjacent surfaces. The methodology always seemed rather illogical to me and I hv never seen an actual validation done as to how well the result correlates to an internal product core temperature however you can find this method approved somewhere in Codex if you look. I am presuming the tape you refer permits such external access / minute penetration. If not, the IR method is also a possibility I guess but maybe not measuring quite the same thing. In the past inspection companies supervising shipment used to physically spear the packaging and then insert a TC probe but the hygienic objections are rather obvious.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

D-D

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 239 posts
  • 55 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:26 AM

In a previous job (pharma) we used dataloggers from Signatrol - small 'buttons' that slide into a reader with which you download the results. Sounds like you would need to work with your suppliers and customers to coordinate using them but they were cheap enough and the basic software was free.

Ken

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 93 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:WORK: ISO / FSSC 22000 & ISO 9001 Lead Auditor training,
    PLAY: Music concerts/festivals. Folk & Heavy Rock!. Play various instruments, including mandolin, guitar, banjo and bouzouki.

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:11 PM

The standard method in large storage & distribution companies I've worked with is to place the probe between 2 cases. This is considered sufficiently accurate but need to use a special probe which is designed for this purpose (the end of the probe is flattened)

jenmaw

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:01 PM

Do you know the name of this probe?

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:32 AM

Do you know the name of this probe?

Between pack probe - A sample can be seen here Model SX23L

Data Loggers suitable for transport monitoring - Example here

Regards,

Tony

Esther

• IFSQN Member
  • 232 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain
  • Interests:Local and international food law; food industrial processes; food safety management systems;GMP; lean manufacturing; share knowledge

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:48 AM

Dear Jenmaw

I do not know exactly the reason why you are asking this: do you need a validaton study to show in an audit/to send to your customer or you need some method to do it in a regular basis?

Anyway, I agree to D-D and GMO, I would go for a validation study with a datalogger or similar. Obsviously, to do it, you will have to destroy al least one packaging product. But if you want to do it having in mind different scenarios then you will need destroy more than one.

Once you have your validation study you can use any of the other method suggested by other members in this forum, you will get roughly measuremets which can give you a good idea about what is going on in your product.

Best regards
Esther

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users