• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to Wash & Sanitize Plastic Baskets (Boxes)

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:51 AM

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:13 PM

Plastic boxes are widely used in the food industry nowadays for storage of packed food products.
These boxes are washed and than used again.
Can anybody tell me what microbiological state to expect after washing and how wear and tear is of influence on this. :uhm:

Okido

Dear All:

I quoted this enquiry by searching in the past topics here , and the above mentioned question is the same what I want to ask with a little different , Actually we are using plastic baskets in our catering facility for keeping the vegetables and fruits in order to storing them chiller ,and we observed that it is a bit difficult to wash them manually as we followed and the sanitation procedure will not be effective as well. So how to find a machine which can wash and sanitize these boxes or baskets at the same time (plastic baskets washing machine? If you know a company selling this machine?

B.Regards

Hygienic

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 October 2010 - 11:44 AM

A tray washer would normally be your best bet, they're a travelling washing machine operating at high temperatures (if the plastic can stand it). Sorry I can't think of any manufacturers but I would steer clear of the washers which look like dishwashers on steroids, ime they're not all that good and the travelling washers have the benefits of normally including an air knife (to push off excess water), higher temperatures and a clear demarkation between clean and dirty.

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:41 PM

A tray washer would normally be your best bet, they're a travelling washing machine operating at high temperatures (if the plastic can stand it). Sorry I can't think of any manufacturers but I would steer clear of the washers which look like dishwashers on steroids, ime they're not all that good and the travelling washers have the benefits of normally including an air knife (to push off excess water), higher temperatures and a clear demarkation between clean and dirty.

Dear GMO:

Thanks for the swift reply, I searched by tray washer but no avail, I believe that this type of washers machines not designed for washing the boxes or baskets . Is there a brouchor that would be assist in my enquery , I think this machine same with warewashing mchines .

Hygienic

Edited by hygienic, 09 October 2010 - 02:49 PM.

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:27 PM

I just did a google search and came up with this:

http://www.indwash.c...ts/traywashers/

mat_CL

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:20 PM

Depend of the amount of boxes, http://www.diversey.com/home rent us a washing machine for .

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:29 PM

http://www.indwash.c...ts/traywashers/

Looks amazing if it really works. :thumbup: The cost and electicity bill are probably pretty amazing also ?

@MatCL - yr link gave me a runtime error unfortunately (ffox maybe).

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:15 PM

Depend of the amount of boxes, ***broken link*** rent us a washing machine for .

The link is broken so I've removed it. Matt can you try again please.

Looks amazing if it really works. :thumbup: The cost and electicity bill are probably pretty amazing also ?

@MatCL - yr link gave me a runtime error unfortunately (ffox maybe).

Rgds / Charles.C

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Mr_P

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:37 PM

IWM (Industrial Washing Machines), Newsmiths Stainless and Unitech are the three main Tray/Crate washing machine manufactures in the UK ( We have several machines for our Business usage), they do all sizes of machines for small to large jobs. If not there is alway the option to get the trays/Crates washed at a Third party wash plant.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:17 AM

Thanks Mr P.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

bri

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:08 PM

Try using Douglas Machines Corp.
2101 Clearwater Florida
1-727-461-3477

Foodworker

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 353 posts
  • 234 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 November 2010 - 08:21 PM

Oliver Douglas and Bruel are other manufacturers I have seen.

None of these machines is very cheap and you need to do your calculations carefully.

Depending upon your volume of trays, contract washing through a pooling system like Chep may be an option

Yannisg

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 20 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Continuous knowledge improvement, travelling, music, photography

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:59 PM

In the past I've had experience with a Newsmith washing machine for plastic baskets/trays and I was very pleased with its performance.
But depending on the required capacity for your wash process it may not be justified to invest in such anexpensive machine.
In the company I am currently working we also needed to wash plastic trays which are used for transporting fresh vegetables.
For about 2000 trays per week I decided to design a washing room (made of panels) and we also bought a high pressure cleaning machine (~ 190 bar, hot water). We now use this construction and we are very pleased with the results. The cost of the room was less than 5000 Euros.

Maybe an idea?

Regards

Yannis

Inesa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 189 posts
  • 65 thanks
Neutral

• Denmark
    Denmark
  • Interests:Children and a Cat, FS, Ballroom Dance, Comedy, "Sofa+tea+cookie" relax, walk in nature, still play in sandbox...

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

In the company I am currently working we also needed to wash plastic trays which are used for transporting fresh vegetables.
For about 2000 trays per week I decided to design a washing room (made of panels) and we also bought a high pressure cleaning machine (~ 190 bar, hot water). We now use this construction and we are very pleased with the results. The cost of the room was less than 5000 Euros.

Dear Yannis,

Sorry for question, but does that machine wash trays itself, or workers wash trays with high pressure water spray coming from a machine?
Sounds like a very good idea. I'm trying to imagine how the whole process is happening in your new construction Posted Image

Edited by Inesa, 12 January 2011 - 03:40 PM.

Just as appetite comes by eating, so work brings inspiration, if inspiration is not discernible at the beginning. (Igor Stravinsky)

Yannisg

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 20 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:59 AM

Dear Yannis,

Sorry for question, but does that machine wash trays itself, or workers wash trays with high pressure water spray coming from a machine?
Sounds like a very good idea. I'm trying to imagine how the whole process is happening in your new construction Posted Image

Dear Inesa,

The trays are washed in this room by one worker who is using high pressure water spray created by a portable machine (Nilfisk)
Also a detergent and or sanitizer can be added in this machine.
The area of the washing room is 3x3 m

Rgrds
Yannis

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:59 AM

Dear Yannisg,

The area of the washing room is 3x3 m

Must be a very slim worker !

@Inesa - Yr new avatar is rather disturbing. Only thing missing is a larger horn on top and a spiky tail. A female Grinch perhaps ?. :biggrin:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Inesa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 189 posts
  • 65 thanks
Neutral

• Denmark
    Denmark
  • Interests:Children and a Cat, FS, Ballroom Dance, Comedy, "Sofa+tea+cookie" relax, walk in nature, still play in sandbox...

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:54 PM

Dear Yannisg,

Thanks for explanation. I'm just wondering about water temperature? What kind of protective clothing your employee has?

:off_topic:
Dear Charles, :bop:
you don't like my avatar???!!! :cm: My cat family?
Or you mean my profile picture? It has a story. We've been visiting Danish Crown slaughter. This picture was taken after I saw pigs being slaughtered (about 10.000 a day if I remember correctly). I was so sad after some scenery I saw... And finally girls were taking pictures, a la "rapper" or something funny as we looked strange in those visitors clothes. I wanted to be the "cool" one, but wasn't really in the mood to pose, so it resulted in "femail Grinch" :giggle:

Just as appetite comes by eating, so work brings inspiration, if inspiration is not discernible at the beginning. (Igor Stravinsky)

Yannisg

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 20 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:55 AM

Dear Yannisg,

Thanks for explanation. I'm just wondering about water temperature? What kind of protective clothing your employee has?

:off_topic:
Dear Charles, :bop:
you don't like my avatar???!!! :cm: My cat family?
Or you mean my profile picture? It has a story. We've been visiting Danish Crown slaughter. This picture was taken after I saw pigs being slaughtered (about 10.000 a day if I remember correctly). I was so sad after some scenery I saw... And finally girls were taking pictures, a la "rapper" or something funny as we looked strange in those visitors clothes. I wanted to be the "cool" one, but wasn't really in the mood to pose, so it resulted in "femail Grinch" :giggle:

Inesa,

We adjust the temperature of the water at 60 degrees celcius. This temperature in combination with the high pressure is sufficient in order to remove the dirt from the trays. But most of these high pressure machines can produce even steam (eventually useful for other cleaning applications).
The employee is using a normal rain coat and boots.

Yannis

Edited by Yannisg, 14 January 2011 - 08:36 AM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

corybaron

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:07 PM

Ozone tray washers if your plant is plumbed for ozinated water is a thought.

Bill Nelson out of Seattle, WA designed one I hear for the Alaskan seafood industry.

Cheers

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users