Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 66 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:32 PM

Here's the very short version of a very long story...

I need toolboxes that can be used in a food manufacturing facility that are sanitizeable, rust resistant, and ideally a 3 drawer minimum (full extension) with flip-up lid style toolbox.

I have sourced the closed cell insert foam that will be used for the shadow board style tool trays and have tested it to see that it's sanitizeable, dries readily, and seems to be reasonably sturdy.

In the best of all possible worlds, the toolboxes would come in a range of colors so I can have easily identifyable boxes for each line.

I haven't had much luck yet in casual looking and had hoped someone had a suggestion or two prior to me spending the day digging around toolbox websites.

Thanks!

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:53 PM

Here's the very short version of a very long story...

I need toolboxes that can be used in a food manufacturing facility that are sanitizeable, rust resistant, and ideally a 3 drawer minimum (full extension) with flip-up lid style toolbox.

I have sourced the closed cell insert foam that will be used for the shadow board style tool trays and have tested it to see that it's sanitizeable, dries readily, and seems to be reasonably sturdy.

In the best of all possible worlds, the toolboxes would come in a range of colors so I can have easily identifyable boxes for each line.

I haven't had much luck yet in casual looking and had hoped someone had a suggestion or two prior to me spending the day digging around toolbox websites.

Thanks!

I feel your pain. I have been involved in 5S projects in non food manufacturing and it was so easy because you could use anything you wanted. We are going to embark on 5S the beginning of 2011 and biggest concern is being able to find the right material, tools and equipment that allows creativity without creating food safety issues.

One question I would have is "did you do everything you could to eliminate the need for tools?" I know my goal is going to be to eliminate the need for toolboxes (we currently use durable plastic, like rubbermaid, boxes with trays). In places I have been in the past we reduced tool needs by 75-80% through creative maintenance (quick connects, handles, hand turn devices vs tools, etc.). It goes more into set up reduction than 5S but is sure helps to get rid of the 5/16, 3/8, 1/2, 7/16 and 3/4 inch wrenches and settle on one size fits all if you can!

JPO

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 66 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:16 PM

I feel your pain. I have been involved in 5S projects in non food manufacturing and it was so easy because you could use anything you wanted. We are going to embark on 5S the beginning of 2011 and biggest concern is being able to find the right material, tools and equipment that allows creativity without creating food safety issues.

One question I would have is "did you do everything you could to eliminate the need for tools?" I know my goal is going to be to eliminate the need for toolboxes (we currently use durable plastic, like rubbermaid, boxes with trays). In places I have been in the past we reduced tool needs by 75-80% through creative maintenance (quick connects, handles, hand turn devices vs tools, etc.). It goes more into set up reduction than 5S but is sure helps to get rid of the 5/16, 3/8, 1/2, 7/16 and 3/4 inch wrenches and settle on one size fits all if you can!

We've gotten our tool set down to what we think is a minimum (standardizing fasteners, eliminating when possible, etc.), but we're still in the "everything tossed in a toolbox" mode of tool storage.

Our FSSC certifying auditor was really, really, really big on "tool sanitation". We got the whole "how do you know you aren't contaminating the sanitized equipment by adjusting it with those tools??" lecture along with some case studies showing that yes indeedy, maintenance department tools as well as equipment specific operator used tools (setup, changeover, adjustments, etc) can be sources of contamination. So, to be compliant, and to be able to show that we're serious about food safety, FSSC 22000 methodology, and all that, we put the operator's tools (and toolboxes) on the master sanitation schedule and the environmental sampling schedule.

Just seemed like a good idea to incorporate some physical separation of the tools rather than the "pile-o-tools in a box" method currently used. it also allows instant inventorying of tools (not in slot, missing. All slots filled, all there) for the supervisors so they aren't digging through tools and matching them to a checklist one at a time as they pull them out of the box.

It all sounds like a great idea, but I can't find a good sanitizeable toolbox that won't turn into a rust pile or hold water or just generally turn to crud in a month.

I guess I'll start to dig into the Grainger website more deeply, but if anyone has a turn-key solution for me, I'm all ears.

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 November 2010 - 08:51 PM

Our FSSC certifying auditor was really, really, really big on "tool sanitation". We got the whole "how do you know you aren't contaminating the sanitized equipment by adjusting it with those tools??" lecture along with some case studies showing that yes indeedy, maintenance department tools as well as equipment specific operator used tools (setup, changeover, adjustments, etc) can be sources of contamination. So, to be compliant, and to be able to show that we're serious about food safety, FSSC 22000 methodology, and all that, we put the operator's tools (and toolboxes) on the master sanitation schedule and the environmental sampling schedule.

Sounds like we either have the same auditor or they focus on toolboxes in auditor training for ISO 22000 and FSSC 22000. It was the first thing our auditor noticed when he went on the floor. Our maintenace manager went to weekly audits of tool boxes conducted by a different tech each week and has had good success.

As for manufacturing, we have designated tools for each tool box but they can't even hold to that which is why we are looking 5S. Currently the tool boxes get cleaned up and it may last for a few months and then we are right back where we started.

Good luck on your search and please share if you find something! :thumbup:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:52 PM

Sounds like we either have the same auditor or they focus on toolboxes in auditor training for ISO 22000 and FSSC 22000. It was the first thing our auditor noticed when he went on the floor. Our maintenace manager went to weekly audits of tool boxes conducted by a different tech each week and has had good success.

As for manufacturing, we have designated tools for each tool box but they can't even hold to that which is why we are looking 5S. Currently the tool boxes get cleaned up and it may last for a few months and then we are right back where we started.

Good luck on your search and please share if you find something! :thumbup:

It's so difficult and the only way to gt it embedded is to get local management or line supervisors 'bought in'. :cm:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Patric

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 June 2011 - 03:58 AM

Hi,
I am also very interested in this subject, but the reference is very limited. You can share documents as well as experience? Thanks!

Patric

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:19 PM

I found some references on this subject, please refer to everyone here: 5S audit form

Best regards.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users