Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:48 AM

Over time the forums have gathered a huge amount of information, however one of the problems with this is valuable older information becomes hard to locate.

I have been considering rearranging the forums for some time and have finally done it. The individual forum subject areas are now much narrower and more descriptive which should help members to know where to post a question and of more importance it will assist people who are seeking information.

The structure of the Food Safety Manager Forums has had most work and has been expanded quite a lot.

I have tried to create this area along the lines of a food safety management system (sort of). The next job for me is to trawl through old topics and move them to the correct forum.

Before I do this I would grateful for suggestions from members on errors, omissions and improvements.

Also please confirm if you like the new organization or not?

Thanks,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Mike Green

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 355 posts
  • 75 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Food(cooking & eating!) Gym, Sun, Sea,Surf,

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:49 AM

Hi Simon

Just a 'new boy' here so you'll probably send me for a 'long stand' or a 'box of nail holes' after this...but here we go!

i think there are quite a lot of catagories there-and I think some people(well ok maybe just me!) might see a few places where their post might fit-and end up putting it in the 'wrong' place-creating lots of work for mods??

Also in the food safety talk section- I think the frequent legislation updates/alerts etc (sometimes 3/4 per day) going in with all of the questions might bury some of the ongoing questions and conversations by knocking them off the first page- maybe a seperate section for updates would be better as previously?

Don't want to seem like a party pooper- as this is definately the most informative forum around and i certainly appreciate all of the work you put into it-......but you did ask!!.......now where do i need to go to get that long stand you asked for...?

Regards

Mike

I may sound like a complete idiot...but actually there are a couple of bits missing

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 06 November 2010 - 02:29 PM

Hi Simon

Just a 'new boy' here so you'll probably send me for a 'long stand' or a 'box of nail holes' after this...but here we go!

Absolutely not Mike; I really value your feedback, it's very important to me. :smile:

i think there are quite a lot of categories there-and I think some people(well ok maybe just me!) might see a few places where their post might fit-and end up putting it in the 'wrong' place-creating lots of work for mods??

I do take your point Mike, but imagine a library with only 10 categories and a big pile of books in each category. Hard to find what you are looking for. Not just by members searching for information, but also for google indexing the site and that is very important. More categories will help us to index topics better and make each category shallower. Much better for example to have 20 topics on pest control in the pest control category than spread throughout 100's of topics in the food safety discussion forum. Maybe I do not have the categories correct right now, maybe some could be merged or I may have made some omissions, so if you spot anything let me know. I don't see a problem with members posting in the wrong forum and I wouldn't get hung up on that at all. My job is to check and move topics and edit titles to be more descriptive and I do that all the time. The big job is actually trawling through the archives and moving topics to their new forum.

Also in the food safety talk section- I think the frequent legislation updates/alerts etc (sometimes 3/4 per day) going in with all of the questions might bury some of the ongoing questions and conversations by knocking them off the first page- maybe a separate section for updates would be better as previously?

You’re right Mike that was a mistake on my part. I have set up separate forum again or Food Safety News and mass moved all topics started by newsgirl into there. Thank heavens for the mass move tool. :phew:<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

Don't want to seem like a party pooper- as this is definitely the most informative forum around and I certainly appreciate all of the work you put into it-......but you did ask!!.......now where do I need to go to get that long stand you asked for...?

As I said Mike I appreciate your input on this and I can see you have got stuck into the discussions on the forum. It’s great to have another active and knowledgeable member on board.

Thanks,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:33 AM

Any more comments? Before I start moving topics about. :unsure:

D-D

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 239 posts
  • 55 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:19 AM

Not specifically but I would just like to say the Food Safety Talk email newsletter is brilliant and I am learning a lot more since that started. The link on that brought me here, as well as other posts that are outside of my usual BRC focus but still very relevant to it.
It is getting long now as the forum grows but I try and go through it all and follow any links that look useful. Thanks for all the hard work Mr Administrator.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 November 2010 - 08:53 AM

Not specifically but I would just like to say the Food Safety Talk email newsletter is brilliant and I am learning a lot more since that started. The link on that brought me here, as well as other posts that are outside of my usual BRC focus but still very relevant to it.
It is getting long now as the forum grows but I try and go through it all and follow any links that look useful. Thanks for all the hard work Mr Administrator.

Thanks for the nice feedback DD. I’ve extended the number of categories so that it will be easier to group and find topics on the same or similar subject. That’s the idea anyway; the hard bit is dredging through and moving topics to their new location. I've not found the time to do that yet. It's Work In Progress. :whistle:

Thanks,
Simon

Thanked by 1 Member:

Anne Z

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 86 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:19 PM

Hi Simon

I just discovered the 'Top 5 Statistics' and I like it!
Good luck organising and moving all the different topics.

Anne

Kamwenji Njuma

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 131 posts
  • 47 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya
  • Interests:Food safety,Quality,Hygiene and Agricultural consultancy.HACCP,BRC Food,ISO22000.ISO9001,GLOBALG.A.P,Etc

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:11 PM

Dear Simon,

You keep suprising with NPD's.Keep it up ,making this forum more educative and interesting.

Regards,
Kamwenji

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users