10 replies to this topic

paradisoperduto

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:05 PM

I have a problem regarding to complaints about small pieces of paper towels in fresh vegetable salads.

Do u have any ideas what might be the source apart from employees' hands?

What kind of methods can be used to prevent it in the future exc paying more attention to it by workers? 

Thx for advice.

Regards,

Ola.

Inesa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 189 posts
  • 65 thanks
Neutral

• Denmark
    Denmark
  • Interests:Children and a Cat, FS, Ballroom Dance, Comedy, "Sofa+tea+cookie" relax, walk in nature, still play in sandbox...

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:00 PM

Dear paradsuperdudu,

I think I know what it could be!
Ask your employees if they dry salad leaves on the kitchen towel to make it absorb water. I've seen cases where people hurry, wash salads in the water quickly, shake leaves, to much water still Posted Image ok I'll take some peace of paper put leaves on to it, absorb water fast and cut them quickly afterwards.

This is the only explanation I can come up with Posted Image

Yours
Inesa

Just as appetite comes by eating, so work brings inspiration, if inspiration is not discernible at the beginning. (Igor Stravinsky)

paradisoperduto

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:10 PM

Yes!  :doh: That's good idea! Thx  :biggrin: Uff, maybe problem will be solved.

So right now I have to deal with snails in salads, yummy  :biggrin:.

Regards,

Ola.

Dear paradsuperdudu,

Ask your employees if they dry salad leaves on the kitchen towel to make it absorb water. I've seen cases where people hurry, wash salads in the water quickly, shake leaves, to much water still Posted Image ok I'll take some peace of paper put leaves on to it, absorb water fast and cut them quickly afterwards.

Yours
Inesa

Inesa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 189 posts
  • 65 thanks
Neutral

• Denmark
    Denmark
  • Interests:Children and a Cat, FS, Ballroom Dance, Comedy, "Sofa+tea+cookie" relax, walk in nature, still play in sandbox...

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:11 PM

Dear paradsuperdudu,

Yours
Inesa

I appologise for wrong spelling of your name paradisoperduto, my laptop is a microscopic acer that is terrible slow and it takes long time to moove page down to see what the name was, so I wrote what I could remember Posted Image sorry!

Just as appetite comes by eating, so work brings inspiration, if inspiration is not discernible at the beginning. (Igor Stravinsky)

Inesa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 189 posts
  • 65 thanks
Neutral

• Denmark
    Denmark

Posted 29 November 2010 - 09:25 PM

Yes! :doh: That's good idea! Thx :biggrin: Uff, maybe problem will be solved.

So right now I have to deal with snails in salads, yummy :biggrin:.

Regards,

Ola.

A very positive thing here is that probably your salads are high quality ecological, no chemicals, you can tell that to your customers Posted Image
Negative thing is that salads are evil when it comes to wash them.
It would be interesting to know how to wash them properly?? Does anyone know in here?
The only method I know is to separate salad leaves, put them into some big dish with water gently rinse and maybe repeat rinsing Posted Image I think it's risky to wash the whole salad bunch under the water tap as people do when they hurry.. then you wash only the outer leaves and don't know whether some worms are hiding underneath.

Good luck Posted Image

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:38 AM

Another source is the use of paper towels for cleaning (even though they're not designed for that purpose). I suggest you go to your shop floor and look at behavours during production times and cleaning times. What you shouldn't see is paper towels being out on the line or used for any other purpose than drying hands (they're not designed for anything else). If you do, there's your cause.

paradisoperduto

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:49 PM

A very positive thing here is that probably  your salads are high quality ecological, no chemicals, you can tell that to your customers Posted Image
Negative thing is that salads are evil when it comes to wash them.
It would be interesting to know how to wash them properly?? Does anyone know in here?
The only method I know is to separate salad leaves, put them into some big dish with water gently rinse and maybe repeat rinsing Posted Image I think it's risky to wash the whole salad bunch under the water tap as people do when they hurry.. then you wash only the outer leaves and don't know whether some worms are hiding underneath.

Good luck Posted Image

Don't worry about the nickname :)

Thx for suggestions. I read exactly what u wrote - it is advisable to wash separate leaves but it takes a lot of time and employees in general don't pay much attention to it. Well, and its no wonder consumers find ecological vegetable salads with additional proteins :)

paradisoperduto

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:59 PM

Another source is the use of paper towels for cleaning (even though they're not designed for that purpose).  I suggest you go to your shop floor and look at behavours during production times and cleaning times.  What you shouldn't see is paper towels being out on the line or used for any other purpose than drying hands (they're not designed for anything else).  If you do, there's your cause.

Thank you. Another good tip! I will take it into account during drafting ishikawa and improvement plan regarding too high consumers complaints. 

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:42 AM

What kind of methods can be used to prevent it in the future exc paying more attention to it by workers?

Regards,

Ola.

Do you use a coloured (Such as blue) towel that is easily distinguishable from the salad?

Regards,

Tony

Inesa

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 189 posts
  • 65 thanks
Neutral

• Denmark
    Denmark

Posted 01 December 2010 - 05:54 AM

if separation of salad leaves is so time consuming (I think it's not so time consuming if you make several bunches of them at once, f. eks. before starting making food and having them ready beside) then maybe you should consider changing your supplier which can assure that no snails will be in the salads..

And also if it was me, i would make some salads on the plate, put some paper in them and snails and ask my employees to evaluate it, or to taste it! Posted Image Maybe seeing how it looks like will inspire them to behave better??

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 February 2011 - 03:08 PM

Do you use a coloured (Such as blue) towel that is easily distinguishable from the salad?

Regards,

Tony

Dont laugh , because I am replaying in old topics, but really very very good Idea , just I want to thank you.

Regards

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users