• Quick Navigation
Photo

Prerequisite Programs (PRP) v Operational Prerequisite Programs (OPRP)

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic
- - - - -

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:23 AM

What I know is that both are considered control measure.

Bill@Kelosika

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Botswana
    Botswana

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

What I know is that both are considered control measure.

My understanding is that normal prerequisite programs, which might include things like pest control in your overall premises, are designed to eliminate environmental factors that might lead to a breach in food safety but are not directly tied to the processes you use on the food itself. An operational PRP might be the regular cleaning or disenfecting of equipment or surfaces that come into direct contact with the food during processing. The program is still designed to eliminate environmental factors, and not something to do with the food itself per se, but is directly related to your processing operations.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Jomy Abraham

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 96 posts
  • 40 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:26 PM

CCP, OPRP and PRPs are basically deferentiating during the hazard analysis and in one word we can say that, these are the outputs of hazard analysis. Based on the severity of risk, we can classify CCP, OPRP and PRP. Mostly OPRPs are temperature controls like chiller temperature, freezer temperatures, thawing temperatures, Hot holding temperatures, cold holding temperatures blast chilling/freezing temperatures etc. and PRPs are pest control programes, personaly hygiene programs, maintenace requirements, calibrations, cleaning programmes etc. CCPs can be explained in HACCP plans and OPRPs can be explained in OPRP plan and all PRPs are basically to provide a hygiene and safe atmosphere to esnure the safe production/consumption of processed foods.

Regards
Jomy Abraham

My understanding is that normal prerequisite programs, which might include things like pest control in your overall premises, are designed to eliminate environmental factors that might lead to a breach in food safety but are not directly tied to the processes you use on the food itself. An operational PRP might be the regular cleaning or disenfecting of equipment or surfaces that come into direct contact with the food during processing. The program is still designed to eliminate environmental factors, and not something to do with the food itself per se, but is directly related to your processing operations.

Thanked by 2 Members:

Kobson

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Botswana
    Botswana

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:30 PM

This is a perfect explanation of the words.

Regards

Kobe

CCP, OPRP and PRPs are basically deferentiating during the hazard analysis and in one word we can say that, these are the outputs of hazard analysis. Based on the severity of risk, we can classify CCP, OPRP and PRP. Mostly OPRPs are temperature controls like chiller temperature, freezer temperatures, thawing temperatures, Hot holding temperatures, cold holding temperatures blast chilling/freezing temperatures etc. and PRPs are pest control programes, personaly hygiene programs, maintenace requirements, calibrations, cleaning programmes etc. CCPs can be explained in HACCP plans and OPRPs can be explained in OPRP plan and all PRPs are basically to provide a hygiene and safe atmosphere to esnure the safe production/consumption of processed foods.

Regards
Jomy Abraham

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:43 AM

Based on the severity of risk, we can classify CCP, OPRP and PRP. Mostly OPRPs are temperature controls like chiller temperature, freezer temperatures, thawing temperatures

Regret that IMHO, the above statement does not concur with the concept / some published results / text of ISO 22000. It's true that considerable subjectivity is implied (and utilised) by the 00/04 standard(s) textual ambiguities but large simplifications are preferably spelled out.

Although not specifically incorrect, use of the phrase "severity of risk" is also awkward since "severity" is popularly also used to estimate the "potential consequence" component of many risk definitions, eg see ISO 22000 def.3.3, note 2.

I suggest some further examination of the many threads here on this topic.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 28 January 2011 - 07:40 PM

What do you think of the answers Mind Over Matter?

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:28 AM

What do you think of the answers Mind Over Matter?

This is my understanding on the replies. Let say we have plants located at different sites and I was assigned in the head office. The PRP’s can be written even without knowing processes of all the plantsby simply addressing the following areas:

a) Construction & lay- out of buildings and associated utilities

b) Lay- out of premises, including work space and employee facilities

c) Supplies of air, water, energy and other utilities

d) Supporting services, including sewage and disposal

e) Suitability of equipment and accessibility for cleaning, maintenance and preventive maintenance

f) Management of purchased materials and handling of products

g) Measures of prevention of cross contamination

h) Cleaning and sanitizing

i) Pest control

j) Personnel hygiene

For example, I can write a general cleaning procedure dealing how to clean. This procedure (PRP) will apply to all plants while OPRP’s we cannot write without knowing the processes. Please advice if I understood it right.

Sure, I will do further examination of the many threads here on this topic.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:19 AM

MOM I don’t know if you are a food manufacturing business, but if you are you may want to consider FSSC 22000 Certification as opposed to ISO 22000 as FSSC 22000 has GFSI approval.

The reason being the FSSC 22000 standard is designed for food manufacturers who supply or plan to supply their products to major food retailers or major branded food companies and combines the ISO 22000 Food Safety Management standard with the Publicly Available Specification (PAS) 220 and other additional requirements.

BSI PAS 220 (ISO/TS 22002-1) was developed specifically to define prerequisite programmes for manufacturing operations to support ISO 22000 and ensure that the FSSC 22000 scheme met the GFSI requirements.

The requirements of ISO/TS 22002-1 and PAS220 are identical and so the FSSC Board accepts ISO/TS 22002-1 equally with PAS220. PAS 220 & ISO/TS 22002-1:2009 specify detailed requirements to be specifically considered in relation to ISO 22000:2005, 7.2.3. In addition, they add other aspects which are considered relevant to manufacturing operations: 1) rework; 2) product recall procedures; 3) warehousing; 4) product information and consumer awareness; 5) food defence, biovigilance, and bioterrorism.

You can read the full article here: FSSC 22000 set to become the Global FSMS Standard

I think it is important to get a copy of one of the above specifications to use with ISO 22000.

By the way you may be able to get a combined ISO 22000 (FSSC 22000) and ISO 9001 audit, I am checking with SGS and will let you know.

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:37 PM

Dear MOM,

For example, I can write a general cleaning procedure dealing how to clean

With no details of the product/process ?

Yes you can do it but it will be a book. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Jomy Abraham

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 96 posts
  • 40 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:16 PM

Dear MOM

Suppose if you are writing a PRP of cleaning and sanitization procedure without visiting the unit, how do you judge the control measure. for example,

1. if the unit has a Butchery machine and if your imagination of meat cutting process is manual ( just imagine quantity is very less and hence manual cutting is sufficient), how do you define the cleaning and sanitization process of meat cutting machine.
2. If the unit is using moving trolleys to move processed food within the unit and suppose grease or mineral oil or similar chemical is used to smoothen the running condition of trolley, how do you define control measure to prevent this chemical hazard...

so in general, its must to deifne the process flow first, secondly conduct the hazard anlayis of each steps defined in the process flows which will help to define the 1. potential hazard
2. potential sources
3. Risk level ( based on the incident happend in your units. If its happened several times, risk level should be high)
4. Decision ( here you need to define whether its CCP, OPRP or PRP based on your decision tree and decisions)
5. Define Control measures of each potential sources/hazard
6. Justify the decision.

If you sit in HO and define, there is a chance to miss lot of POTENTIAL SOURCES.
Its always better to understand each and every process, equipments and all related sources to define the CCP, OPRP and PRP and this will support you to develop strong sytems in your units.

Regards
Jomy Abraham

This is my understanding on the replies. Let say we have plants located at different sites and I was assigned in the head office. The PRP’s can be written even without knowing processes of all the plantsby simply addressing the following areas:

a) Construction & lay- out of buildings and associated utilities

b) Lay- out of premises, including work space and employee facilities

c) Supplies of air, water, energy and other utilities

d) Supporting services, including sewage and disposal

e) Suitability of equipment and accessibility for cleaning, maintenance and preventive maintenance

f) Management of purchased materials and handling of products

g) Measures of prevention of cross contamination

h) Cleaning and sanitizing

i) Pest control

j) Personnel hygiene

For example, I can write a general cleaning procedure dealing how to clean. This procedure (PRP) will apply to all plants while OPRP’s we cannot write without knowing the processes. Please advice if I understood it right.

Sure, I will do further examination of the many threads here on this topic.

Thanked by 1 Member:

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:46 AM

Dear MOM

Suppose if you are writing a PRP of cleaning and sanitization procedure without visiting the unit, how do you judge the control measure. for example,

1. if the unit has a Butchery machine and if your imagination of meat cutting process is manual ( just imagine quantity is very less and hence manual cutting is sufficient), how do you define the cleaning and sanitization process of meat cutting machine.
2. If the unit is using moving trolleys to move processed food within the unit and suppose grease or mineral oil or similar chemical is used to smoothen the running condition of trolley, how do you define control measure to prevent this chemical hazard...

so in general, its must to deifne the process flow first, secondly conduct the hazard anlayis of each steps defined in the process flows which will help to define the 1. potential hazard
2. potential sources
3. Risk level ( based on the incident happend in your units. If its happened several times, risk level should be high)
4. Decision ( here you need to define whether its CCP, OPRP or PRP based on your decision tree and decisions)
5. Define Control measures of each potential sources/hazard
6. Justify the decision.

If you sit in HO and define, there is a chance to miss lot of POTENTIAL SOURCES.
Its always better to understand each and every process, equipments and all related sources to define the CCP, OPRP and PRP and this will support you to develop strong sytems in your units.

Regards
Jomy Abraham

Hi Jomy Abraham,
Thank you for your excellent reply. How about the idea of request them to send me their process flow and/or results of hazard analysis (if any), a list of equipments and go from there.

Do you think I can evaluate at that point what has to be done? Or should I leave writing procedures, PRP’s and OPRP’s later, till I arrived at there plant?

Jomy Abraham

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 96 posts
  • 40 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:39 AM

Thanks MOM

My suggestions ( if you want to restrict your visit to one time)
1. Intruct plant team to prepare a process flow chart and sent to you
2. You just review from your ideas,experiences, discussion with your colleagues in plant
3. conduct hazard analysis
4. Prepare an idea of CCP, OPRP and PRP or you can prepare it
5. Sent all the process flows and other Procedures related to PRPs etc to the HODs of each section in the plant ot other units.
6. Communicate your date of visit in the plants and review with each HOD ( be specific in time)
7. Have a primary audit along with each HODs
8. Conduct the review meeting to finalize their own specific SOPs
9. Consolidate all feedbacks and finalize the total SOPs of the org
10. Conduct a Food Safety executive team meeting for final approval of all sops, prps, oprps, ccps etc....

IF someone cand add more, please...

Regards
Jomy Abraham

Hi Jomy Abraham,
Thank you for your excellent reply. How about the idea of request them to send me their process flow and/or results of hazard analysis (if any), a list of equipments and go from there.

Do you think I can evaluate at that point what has to be done? Or should I leave writing procedures, PRP’s and OPRP’s later, till I arrived at there plant?

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:05 AM

Dear MOM,

I am a little confused.

I seem to recall you saying that the plants involved already hv approved HACCP.
( http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__41304 )

But they apparently now have no approved / documented PRPs.

That is amazing. And worrying.

Are you not allowed to communicate with these "plants" ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

faisal rafique

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 19 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:07 AM

These terms came from ISO 22000, basically is a traditional concept of dividing control measures two groups ( prerequisites and measures applied at CCP ) in a logical order for the development, implementation and control of the food safety management system. Control measures are grouped into three groups,

• Prerequisite Program mes ( PRPs) that manage the basic conditions and activites, not for controlling specific identified hazards but puppose of maintaining a hygienic production, processing and/ or handling enviroment.
  • Operational Prerequisite Program mes (oPRPs) that manage those control measures that hazard analysis identifies as necessary to control identified hazards to acceptable levels, and which are not other wise managed by HACCP plan
  • HACCP Plan manage those control measures that the hazard analysis identified as necessary to control identified hazards to acceptable levels and espacially which are applied at CCPs.
Faisal Rafique

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:17 AM

Dear faisal rafique,

Thank you for the information.

You are correct that this knowledge should indeed be well-known to someone possessing a copy of the ISO 22000 standard.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:43 AM

Dear MOM, I am a little confused. I seem to recall you saying that the plants involved already hv approved HACCP
That’s what my boss (QA dep’t. head) told me - they’re GMP and HACCP certified, not yet with ISO9001.

But they apparently now have no approved / documented PRPs. That is amazing. And worrying.
I haven't seen their existing documentation. That's why I am very worried about this project.

Are you not allowed to communicate with these "plants" ? Rgds / Charles.C
I haven’t seen them. We haven’t communicated with each other as well, not even once. I don’t know why up to this point my boss haven’t gave me the contact information of our counterpart. However, I told my boss to ask them send us their process flow and results of hazard analysis. She said will ask them to send these documents. I'm waiting for it.

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:48 AM

3. conduct hazard analysis

Who should conduct the hazard analysis? Me or the FSMS/HACCP team?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:17 AM

That's why I am very worried about this project.

I would be more worried about yr boss. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Jomy Abraham

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 96 posts
  • 40 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:01 AM

Its the responsibility of a food safety expert, then review with the food safety executive/implementation team to finalize it

Regards
Jomy Abraham

Who should conduct the hazard analysis? Me or the FSMS/HACCP team?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:21 PM

Dear MOM,

Your company seems to have logistic and communication difficulties. :smile:

Anyway, assuming the (to be visited) facilities do have a certified HACCP, I think you can assume they will already have a typical (traditional )set of PRPs / SSOPs/CCPs. They are also likely to possess most of the documentation ancillary to hazard analyses such as traceability/recall. It seems rather pointless to try and randomly speculate over details from a vast range of possibilities when the material will probably be shortly available anyway.

I think you stated that you are familiar with ISO 9001 but not HACCP (eg carrying out hazard analyses) so I guess the management system aspects of ISO 22000 should be readily comprehensible to you.
Looking at your discussion with Zeeshan indicates that the major GAP in yr being able to complete a manual for ISO 22000 is likely to be the HACCP plan portion (and especially the ISO 22000 variations) for which I deduce you are getting technical input from other associates. IMO it would be logical to include a specialist HACCP colleague for your forthcoming visit to collaborate with the actual process data. Surely easier than your having to do an instant learning course on hazard analysis.

I am rather surprised that you have not looked for HACCP plans here for the products you listed earlier so as to familiarise yourself with the typical process requirements. Or perhaps yr associates are doing this part of the work for you ?

Please understand that I am not trying to restrict yr search for assistance but it seemed that you are trying to do a whole collection of different items at the same time. IMO, some prioritisation is beneficial. I realise you have a timeframe (?) but it is very easy to simply confuse yourself (and us).

If i hv misunderstood the situation please inform.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:55 PM

Dear MOM,

Your company seems to have logistic and communication difficulties.

….. and relationship. As for logistic, it’s because of physical separation, we need to take a plane or vessel to visit them. Apart from that, I have a strong feeling that there’s a differences between the QA Manager and our subsidiary than manifested as work politics. It all goes down to human communications and relationships.

Anyway, assuming the (to be visited) facilities do have a certified HACCP, I think you can assume they will already have a typical (traditional )set of PRPs / SSOPs/CCPs. They are also likely to possess most of the documentation ancillary to hazard analyses such as traceability/recall. It seems rather pointless to try and randomly speculate over details from a vast range of possibilities when the material will probably be shortly available anyway.

Ok. I'll just wait for their existing documentation. I am very hopeful that they have PRP's and OPR's already. I think HACCP cannot work if PRP's and OPRP's are not already in place.

And if they are really GMP and HACCP certified, I assume that their people are properly trained to do the job.

I think you stated that you are familiar with ISO 9001 but not HACCP (eg carrying out hazard analyses) so I guess the management system aspects of ISO 22000 should be readily comprehensible to you.
Looking at your discussion with Zeeshan indicates that the major GAP in yr being able to complete a manual for ISO 22000 is likely to be the HACCP plan portion (and especially the ISO 22000 variations) for which I deduce you are getting technical input from other associates. IMO it would be logical to include a specialist HACCP colleague for your forthcoming visit to collaborate with the actual process data. Surely easier than your having to do an instant learning course on hazard analysis.

You’re absolutely right. Having a knowledgeable partner on my side will help decrease the number of the cons. Unfortunately, the QA Manager’s knowledge is more on ISO 9001 too, not HACCP or any food safety discipline.

I am rather surprised that you have not looked for HACCP plans here for the products you listed earlier so as to familiarise yourself with the typical process requirements. Or perhaps yr associates are doing this part of the work for you ?

I’m confused as well how to do or manage a HACCP plan.

Please understand that I am not trying to restrict yr search for assistance but it seemed that you are trying to do a whole collection of different items at the same time. IMO, some prioritisation is beneficial. I realise you have a timeframe (?) but it is very easy to simply confuse yourself (and us).

If i hv misunderstood the situation please inform.

Rgds / Charles.C

Sorry for asking too much help. The pieces I got from this site are very helpful.

Edited by mind over matter, 03 February 2011 - 02:44 AM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:28 AM

Dear MOM,

Sorry for asking too much help.

No need to apologise. The people here are only too willing to help. I’m just trying to optimise yr search :smile: . I sincerely hope yr timeframe is more than a few weeks (months?) after seeing yr comments on company HACCP related knowledge base.

If time is genuinely short, you could consider a consultant training session for a group of people. Cost / head can be quite economic IMEX. There is certainly no shortage of HACCP users in yr general locality.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:22 PM

By the way you may be able to get a combined ISO 22000 (FSSC 22000) and ISO 9001 audit, I am checking with SGS and will let you know.

SGS are one of our sponsors; I made contact with them and they do indeed offer dual audits for FSSC 22000 and ISO 9001. They said...

Our Customized Single Food Audit concept accommodates the option to get both FSSC 22000 and ISO 9001 certificates with a single audit. This way, parallel requirements can be covered at once. Please send any request on this to Supreeya Sansawat, our Global Food Safety Manager.

If you need their contact details send me a PM.

Regards,
Simon

Thanked by 1 Member:

arup

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:27 AM

PRPs are the basic condition or requirement for maintaining hygienic condition of processing and it's environmant. Where as OPRPs are the control measures to control the hazard to an acceptable level.

Satya Vavilapalli

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 70 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 13 April 2015 - 06:28 AM

Anyone care to explain the difference between CCP and OPRP with reference to ISO 22000 in detail...???

Regards

Satya

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users