Abdul Qudoos

• IFSQN Senior
  • 308 posts
  • 42 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:00 PM

I have included physical checking of food drymixes batch raw materials as a CCP,

Significant hazards are quantity and weights of raw materials - min. or max. could change the product characteristics
Critical limits for preventive action - excess or low in quantity according to recipe,
Corrective action - Excess - return and low -make it balance according to recipe

Raw materials may contain sweeteners, flavors, colors and preservatives - if excess or low makes a much difference and a hazard,

Can anyone have a idea about validation for the same ? Required everyone's INPUT for the above topic!

Join me on
Abdul Qudoos on LinkedIn
Follow me on twitter Healthy_Food_
Visit my website Healthy Food Management

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 January 2011 - 01:20 PM

I have included physical checking of food drymixes batch raw materials as a CCP,

Significant hazards are quantity and weights of raw materials - min. or max. could change the product characteristics
Critical limits for preventive action - excess or low in quantity according to recipe,
Corrective action - Excess - return and low -make it balance according to recipe

Raw materials may contain sweeteners, flavors, colors and preservatives - if excess or low makes a much difference and a hazard,

Can anyone have a idea about validation for the same ? Required everyone's INPUT for the above topic!

Typically the only time you would consider a weight or quantity would be if it presents possible physical harm if to much or to little is used. I have heard it done for things like water chlorine levels (to much could cause issues with chlorine and to little would be micro issues) but even in those cases it was usually a PRP.

A critical limit would need to be established based on how much of any one ingredient would be considered a risk. Validation would only be possible through citing medical studies on the ingredients and then conformation of how much would be in a product (if it is a cooked product, does any of the ingredient "cook off" during production process).

Thanked by 1 Member:

Marco

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 43 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:08 PM

Dear Abdul,

If you add an excess of preservative and have legal limits for residues in the finished product you could do some recipe trials and validate it with finished product testing.
I believe the same applies to under dosing when the preservative is added to ensure product safety.

IMO the other ingredients, unless an overdose can cause harm, shouldn't be included in the CCP study.

If when you refer to product characteristics you mean quality then that is not a CCP.

Regards
Marco

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:01 AM

Dear Abdul,

Referring to yr original post, I'm sure you appreciate that to validate the necessity / capability of a control measure for a hazard, it is required to well-specify what the hazard is, eg excess of what specific sweetener might cause what specific hazard, eg is yr product perhaps aimed at some sensitive consumer population ?

As per previous posts, IMEX "product characteristics" involving organoleptic parameters is not a typical source for a (haccp) safety hazard as compared to, say, pathogenic bacteria, but it could be. Presumably regulatory aspects might also be involved, eg colour additives, but normally the potential risks will (should!) not lead to a CCP.

i suggest you nominate a particular case for discussion if you are concerned.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Abdul Qudoos

• IFSQN Senior
  • 308 posts
  • 42 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:55 AM

Thanks & :thumbup: to all,

Well said by everyone,

Example - synthetic colors, if it is excess it leaves color in the mouth, banned in some countries and in some countried approved by FDA

Professor Stevenson, a co-author of both reports, said: "This has been a major study investigating an important area of research. The results suggest that consumption of certain mixtures of artificial food colours and sodium benzoate preservative are associated with increases in hyperactive behaviour in children.

Continues ...

Join me on
Abdul Qudoos on LinkedIn
Follow me on twitter Healthy_Food_
Visit my website Healthy Food Management

AS NUR

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 582 posts
  • 60 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:50 AM

IMO, the critical point is the scale and scaling process, your scale have to calibrate and define the acceptance level of the Uncertainty of it, and it's not exceed of your tolerance level. and you have to make sure that people follow the procedure excactly, so i think thats is CCP.

And if you still want physical check as CCP, you have to define physical standard and make sure that people who check it have capability to monitor through the training and physical test especially in sight capability.

rgds

AS Nur

faisal rafique

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 19 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:50 AM

Dear,
Product Characteristics may not be considered as hazards because mostly be definition hazards are those which cause illness or injury. They are manageable through PRP's and will not leads to CCP.

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users