• IFSQN Member
  • 166 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

:thumbup:

In your opinions, what as a minimum requirement do you need for policies in QMS file

Hope this makes sense!!!!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 18 January 2011 - 05:33 PM

Dear aps,

You omitted to mention what standard you are referring to but assuming the ISO documentation pyramid is involved, the top (policy) tier is intended to, at a minimum, textually spell out within the defined scope, how the company's policies will satisfy the requirements of the standard.

I daresay you knew that already ? :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

aps

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 166 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:52 PM

Below is the current policies I have in my Manual, the standard I am working to is BRC. The policies below do you think it will cover me on audit. If there are a few more you think I need I am happy to have feed back

· Quality Statement Policy
· Food Safety Policy
· IFP Corporate Environment Policy
· Animal Welfare
· Animal feed Policy
· Allergen Policy
· Glass Break Policy
· Personal Hygiene Policy
· Wood Policy
· Ethical Trading Policy

Thanks

Edited by aps, 27 January 2011 - 08:43 AM.

aps

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 166 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:44 AM

Any advise is required

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:33 PM

Health & Safety Policy?

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:58 AM

Dear aps,

I’m rather unclear how you are defining “policies” with respect to the BRC Standard’s content. Not necessarily criticising since the chosen method is optional as long as it fulfills the overall requirement, eg

The purpose of a Quality Policy Manual is to show the commitment of upper management to follow the ISO 9000 standards and to state the company philosophy and policies toward satisfying each of the standard's requirements.

(my underline)

For example, I see no reference in yr document relatable to purchasing policy, etc??

I can illustrate one typical approach (there are no doubt many) via a few definitions from ISO 9000 –

3.4.5 Procedure: specified way to carry out an activity or a process. Note 1: Procedures can be documented or not. Note 2: When a procedure is documented, the term "written procedure" or "documented procedure" is frequently used. The document that contains a procedure can be called a "procedure document".

For Quality Policy:
3.2.4 Quality Policy - overall intentions and direction of an organization related to quality as formally expressed by top management. Note 1: Generally the quality policy is consistent with the overall policy of the organization and provides a framework for the setting of quality objectives. Note 2: Quality management priciples presented in this International Standard can form a basis for the establishment of a quality policy.

Strangely, as I understand it, “policy” itself is not defined in 9000 standard. A range of shades of interpretation seems to exist -

1. (http://www.wordsmyth.net/ ) –

Policy: a set of principles that is used as a guide for action, esp. in a government or business.
Procedures: a series of actions necessary for accomplishing a particular goal; course of action.

In the simplest terms, a policy defines an outcome, while a procedure defines the means to the end. For example, it might be company policy that all employee purchases be rung up by another employee, while the procedure to achieve that might be that receipts must include both the name of the employee who made the purchase and the name of the employee who rang it up.

( http://www.ehow.com/...procedures.html )

3. The one below from a multi-topic website, ( http://www.school-fo...0/rationale.htm ) which I personally found the most readable, although there is obviously a potential crossover into the previous definition of “procedure”.–

Most documents stating a company's policies simply tell what course of action the company takes

(I suppose using previous def. 3.4.5 of “procedure” maintains a separation in meaning)

Same (last-named) reference then goes on to state –

“Since most Quality Policy Manuals follow the numbering format from the ISO 9000 standard they are using, the meat of the policies consist of the 20 subsections of section 4.0. Each of those subsections includes one or more policy statements.”

It seems to me that this approach offers a simple basis for constructing a Policy Manual although, as you know, the choice is totally optional. :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users