• Quick Navigation
Photo

CCP-halal - hand sanitizer as ccp point in my haccp plan?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic
* * * * * 1 votes

quality seeker

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Iraq
    Iraq

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:51 PM

dear all,

i am quality assuarance supervisor in sugar refinary we are trying to implemant halal system ,my question is can i put hand sanitizer as ccp point in my haccp plan becausae is contine ethanol
:helpplease:

your responce is highly approciated

sundus alshehabi

Martinblue

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 141 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:43 PM

Hi sundus alshehabi,

That’s an interesting questions. IMO using a sanitizer cant be CCP it can be covered under PRP.
What is product process you have?
Would you please elaborate it more!

Regards

Martin Blue

Ayayay

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:47 PM

Hi,
I agree with Martin Blue. It can't be CCP just PRP.
Regards: Aylin

Thanked by 1 Member:

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:59 PM

Hi,
I agree with Martin Blue. It can't be CCP just PRP.
Regards: Aylin

Hi ;

IMO , it is a CP not CCP.

Thanks
Hygienic

Thanked by 1 Member:

Biss

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 138 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:25 AM

IMO ppm level of ethanol in foods is allowed by most of the Halal agencies. So I think its not a CCP

Biss

quality seeker

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Iraq
    Iraq

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:43 AM

Hi sundus alshehabi,

That’s an interesting questions. IMO using a sanitizer cant be CCP it can be covered under PRP.
What is product process you have?
Would you please elaborate it more!

Regards

Martin Blue

dear mr Martin

Thank you for your response , the product is white refined sugar and during the process steps we have no Halal hazard related to the product just in packing area we have to use alcohol hand sanitizer which could this be point of hazard because of continue of ethanol in this hand sanitizer , so your opinion is to put it as PRP ?

thanks in advance

quality seeker

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Iraq
    Iraq

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:45 AM

IMO ppm level of ethanol in foods is allowed by most of the Halal agencies. So I think its not a CCP

thanks but the level according to the halal standard is o.5% of ethanol in food is accepted

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:42 AM

Hi Sundus Alshehabi,

There are many chemical suppliers including Jasol who produce alcohol based sanitisers which are HALAL approved. I agree with the comments of Mr Martin Blue that it is not regarded as a CCP but a PRP.

Regards

Ajay Shah :smarty:

Dr Ajay Shah.,
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCE(FE)
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
AAS Food Technology Pty Ltd
www.aasfood.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

YFoodSafety

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

• Egypt
    Egypt

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:16 AM

Hi Sundus Alshehabi,
Yes of course i agree with all coments it is a PRP.
Dear Sundus would you please can inform me about HALAL system in details.
Youssef

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:54 AM

dear all,

i am quality assuarance supervisor in sugar refinary we are trying to implemant halal system ,my question is can i put hand sanitizer as ccp point in my haccp plan becausae is contine ethanol
:helpplease:

your responce is highly approciated

sundus alshehabi

1- You should be confirmed/have authentic justification that 0.5% is the allowable limit of ethanol in any food item claimed to be halal. BTW which standard are you following for halal system?

2- Once you have confirmed the standard level of ethanol, you should confirm through testing or through supplier specifications that level of ethanol in your hand sanitizer is under allowable limit.

3-IMO, if you are talking about halal-CCP or critical control point for halal assurance system, finding/assuring the level of ethonol in your hand sanitizer is your Halal-CCP because not assuring or crossing the allowable limit will make your HALAL-CLAIM un-justified. Do not get confused with CCP and Halal-CCP. CCP is associated with traditional HACCP. Halal-CCP would be your CCP for Halal Assurance System as a standalone system. Some thing which may not be considered as critical for the person concerned with food safety would be critical for another person concerned with halal issue.

Mind it that it is my personal opinion. You should consult any authentic halal food consultant or CB to be 100% sure.

Regards:
M.Zeeshan

Thanked by 2 Members:

Abdul Qudoos

• IFSQN Senior
  • 308 posts
  • 42 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:53 AM

Dear sundus alshehabi the use of hand sanitizer - ethanol based is in packing area concluded as PRP.
What kind of hand sanitizer is it?
Is it kind of spray or dispenser hanging to the wall at the entrance or at hand washing area or it is installed in packing area ?

To avoid hazard you need to install away from packing area and it should be in spray/dispenser form, when you spray on hand according to quantity required, rub it immediately as it evaporates fast by leaving hand dry and odorless. You need to install HOT AIR BLOWER HAND DRYER (if required) beside it. Then the chances of hazards will reduce to zero.

Join me on
Abdul Qudoos on LinkedIn
Follow me on twitter Healthy_Food_
Visit my website Healthy Food Management

Thanked by 1 Member:

quality seeker

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Iraq
    Iraq

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:08 AM

1- You should be confirmed/have authentic justification that 0.5% is the allowable limit of ethanol in any food item claimed to be halal. BTW which standard are you following for halal system?

2- Once you have confirmed the standard level of ethanol, you should confirm through testing or through supplier specifications that level of ethanol in your hand sanitizer is under allowable limit.

3-IMO, if you are talking about halal-CCP or critical control point for halal assurance system, finding/assuring the level of ethonol in your hand sanitizer is your Halal-CCP because not assuring or crossing the allowable limit will make your HALAL-CLAIM un-justified. Do not get confused with CCP and Halal-CCP. CCP is associated with traditional HACCP. Halal-CCP would be your CCP for Halal Assurance System as a standalone system. Some thing which may not be considered as critical for the person concerned with food safety would be critical for another person concerned with halal issue.

Mind it that it is my personal opinion. You should consult any authentic halal food consultant or CB to be 100% sure.

Regards:
M.Zeeshan

dear mr sir

sorry ,i could not understand should i considre it as halal -ccp or not

Zeeshan

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 499 posts
  • 224 thanks
Excellent

• Pakistan
    Pakistan
  • Interests:QMS, TQM, FSMS, HMS (Halal Management System), IMS (Integrated Management System), Training Programs Management, Performance Management

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:51 AM

dear mr sir

sorry ,i could not understand should i considre it as halal -ccp or not

Sorry if I had not make my reply simple and understandable!

I want to say in my posted reply that in my personal opinion the step should be considered as HALAL-CCP.

My this opinion is based on your statement - "......the level according to the halal standard is o.5% of ethanol in food is accepted "

Hope it will be clear now.

Regards:
M.Zeeshan.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Biss

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 138 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:01 AM

Hi,

please see one part of Halal guidelines issued by MUI regading Ethanol

E. Fatwa (Islamic Legal Opinion) Of MUI For Materials And Production Process (No. 4/2003)
1. Khamr
a. Anything that is intoxicating is considered as khamr (alcohol drink).

b. Drinks containing a minimum of 1 % ethanol is categorized as khamr
c. Drinks categorized as khamr is najis (filth)
d. Drinks those are produced through fermentation process containing less than

1 % ethanol is not categorized as khamr but is haram for consumption.

2. Ethanol

a. Ethanol produced by non khamr industry is not najis (pure)
b. Using of pure ethanol which is produced by non khamr industry is :

1. Mubah (allowed), if it is not detected in the finished product.

2. Haram (prohibited) if it is detected in the finished product.

c. Using of ethanol produced by khamr industry in food production is haram

Biss

Thanked by 1 Member:

min

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 April 2011 - 07:14 AM

Hi Dear,
I would say sanetiser cant be CCP . if you do PRP and hazard analysis it will celarly indicate wheather it is CCP or not.
You can eliminate as a CCP by purchasing approved senitiser fromapproved supplier source.
Hope this help
regards
Min

Thanked by 1 Member:

SriramB

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 56 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• New Zealand
    New Zealand
  • Interests:SF, Graphic novels, SUFI Music

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:53 AM

Regards:
M.Zeeshan
[/quote]

Dear Sundus,

I agree with Zeeshan and reiterate that you should be looking at the sanitisers with a Halal-CCP view point. (in which case , it will no longer suit to be a PRP alone).

The only thing I am interesetd to learn is, whether the Alcohol allowed by the standard (0.5%) is actually transferred to the product by the operator. Is this 0.5 % alc by weight or volume etc, and if so is the risk of contaminating the product significant and probable. As I am not experienced directly with halal certs , am keen to see how the standard views this.

Thanks,

amandas

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:52 PM

My take:

In our operation we try and restrict the use of the CCP to the HACCP program only - the last point whereby the presence of the "intervention" step ensures that a particular hazard does not end up in the finished product. The HACCP plan also is limited to food safety only as well and addresses Hazards (Biological, Chemical, Physical) that may cause harm/sickness to the consumer.

Halal program therefore would not be either in the HACCP or the pre-requisite program for HACCP.

The way we address Halal or other quality programs is tohave a seperate "Halal" program or Quality program with the areas of concern addressed as a Quality Control Point (QCP).

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,791 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:24 AM

I know this is an old topic but we've been told by the HFA that sanitisers above 25% alcohol are not permitted even if the likelihood of transfer to product is very small. We are stuck in the middle where our chemical contractor says we can get alcohol free sanitiser but it is prone to causing dermatitis as the hands don't dry as fast and sanitisers with <65% alcohol are ineffective. The HFA has given us the alternative solution of wearing gloves but that would be a FB issue with our process. I'm finding it frustrating that there are differing opinions out there. I don't want to question the auditor's wisdom because I'm not Muslim but this had not been raised as an issue for 5 years and a new auditor decides it's incorrect. We may be having to face not having Halal certification as a result. Interestingly though I don't know any food factory not using alcohol based sanitisers at the moment. This should mean that if you follow this, you should probably not eat any UK processed food as a Muslim. A scary thought.

Mendeljev

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 25 thanks
Neutral

• Belgium
    Belgium

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:24 PM

I can only say that for cleaning we use products from CID, and these are all HALAL certified

On the otherhand, they also are supplying us with hand soap and hand sanitiser gel.

This gel is based on isopropanol 75%. To my understanding, isopronanol is Halal, it is only ethylalcohol that is haram

this site gives some information http://www.muslimcon...p.com/news.html

Abstract :

NOT ALL ALCOHOL ARE HARAM (ETHYL ALCOHOL)

Ethyl alcohol is Haram because of its intoxication quality. But not all alcohol are ethyl alcohol although word alcohol is written with their name. Here are some examples:

1. Sugar alcohols do not contain ethyl alcohol but they called sugar alcohol because of their chemical formula. Sugar Alcohols or Polyols are carbohydrate. All the sugar alcohols are Halal except Erythritol(made through alcoholic fermentation) and if Lactittol is made from non Halal whey then it is not Halal. But if Lactitol is made from sucrose then it is Halal.

2. isopropyl alcohol is also used in many processes as well as in home cleaning products and skin lotions and it is also known as "Rubbing alcohol". This is a Halal alcohol because it does not cause intoxication.

Quality is not an act, it is a habit.(Aristoteles 384 BC-322 BC)

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users