• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to prevent pest ingress during unloading / loadiing?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic
- - - - -

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:37 AM

Dear All;

We are facing a serious problem in both receiving and dispatching area while the workers open the loading and receiving doors , alot of flying inscts can be access inside once doors open , due to gab between the supplier vehichle and the wall , so ,what is the suitable design can be cover the gab ? what is the best practice in receiving and loading area to prevent such as these insects to go inside the catering , actually we have a lot of control devices such as EFKs and the third party coming regularly , but we need more control in receiving and loading, So if you have an Idea or a good design , it would be helpful

Regards
Hygienic

Edited by hygienic, 04 March 2011 - 11:33 AM.

MQA

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 224 posts
  • 132 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Good food, excellent coffee, home sweet home, cherished friendships, valued work, and a fantastic city.

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:28 AM

Questions I have for you:

• For starters, what is a “gab”? Do you mean “gap”?
  • Again please excuse my arrogance but what is an EFK?
  • Why is there so many flies to begin with just outside of your premises? The outside of a food business should be pest free as much as is logical. Is your dumpster too close to receival/dispatch? If so, is your dumpster in an unhygienic condition?
  • Where does your concern for the flies lie? Is there too many insects in your business in general or are you referring to the food processing areas?
  • There should be a separation between receival/dispatch and the rest of the premises (in particular the food processing, storage and packaging areas). Walls, doors, plastic strips etc
  • Your food processing, food storage, packaging areas should also be under contained conditions; doors should remain shut at all times; exposure to the outside world should never be possible
  • Do you have pest control in place?
  • Do you have a policy in place to ensure the roller door is shut between deliveries? If so, how is it managed? Is it well managed?

... helping you achieve food safety & quality assurance...

Melbourne Quality Assurance | Australia
www.melbourneqa.com | janette@melbourneqa.com
Facebook | Twitter

Anish

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 158 posts
  • 74 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:56 AM

Generally we do - pest control activity such as fumigation after receiving the lot (if it is from the farm) to our warehouse. We never allow the material to enter without finishing the fumigation activity. Generally for fumigation takes 1 day and then we move the material. The place for fumigation is different room than the storage area and pls ensure there is no other material in the fumigation place - as repeated fumigation may leave a fumigant residue - which may create the problem.
Also, we ensure the vehicle which is carrying the lot have undergone a proper fumigation before loading (we insist the truck to provide pest control certificates). And while loading into the storage area - it generally passes through a loading dock- Check in net you will get enough information to redesign your facility.

Regards,
anish

QLD

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 59 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:28 AM

Without actually knowing the design of your loading dock I can only have a guess. You could look into air curtains, inflatable air cushions that seal around the truck (normally only the sides and top) or a combination of both.

Also assuming you have a lot of the point that JAKMQA covered off.

Edited by QLD, 05 March 2011 - 08:31 AM.

Kamwenji Njuma

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 131 posts
  • 47 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya
  • Interests:Food safety,Quality,Hygiene and Agricultural consultancy.HACCP,BRC Food,ISO22000.ISO9001,GLOBALG.A.P,Etc

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:53 AM

Dear All,

You can try netting/curtains or the same time positive air pressure control where you put fans inside the loading bay with high pressure to prevent ingress.

Regards,
Kamwenji Njuma

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:12 AM

• For starters, what is a “gab”? Do you mean “gap”?
  • Again please excuse my arrogance but what is an EFK?
  • Why is there so many flies to begin with just outside of your premises? The outside of a food business should be pest free as much as is logical. Is your dumpster too close to receival/dispatch? If so, is your dumpster in an unhygienic condition?
  • Where does your concern for the flies lie? Is there too many insects in your business in general or are you referring to the food processing areas?
  • There should be a separation between receival/dispatch and the rest of the premises (in particular the food processing, storage and packaging areas). Walls, doors, plastic strips etc
  • Your food processing, food storage, packaging areas should also be under contained conditions; doors should remain shut at all times; exposure to the outside world should never be possible
  • Do you have pest control in place?
  • Do you have a policy in place to ensure the roller door is shut between deliveries? If so, how is it managed? Is it well managed?

Dear JAKMQA';

I mean gap , typing mistake , gap is there because once they want to receive items , the vehicle not coming closely to the door , It will park little away from the door and then offload the items outside then by electrical elevator will take the goods inside the receiving area , during this process alot of flys will access inside ,we are looking for a good design can be places on the doors which can help in preventation. our process area is separte than the store and receiving area and there are many control measures , actually the out side area it is not pest free because of the claim is always hot , so imposible to do the control , so that way I want to make the control in receiving and loading doors .

EFK means Electrical Flys killer
Thanks & Regards
Hygienic

Edited by hygienic, 05 March 2011 - 11:14 AM.

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:28 AM

I agree with the points raised by JAKMQA and others. It is important to have electical insectocutors in place near entry points which should be located ina dark area at least 1.5 meters above ground on the wall which should be checked more frequently in your case (at least every week and sticky pads replaced). A good reputable pest control contarctor should be hired to look after the business.

Fumigation is a good option but not if you are dealing with Organic Products. I do not know if you are dealing with this or not but at least something to think about.

Having air curtains in the receival/dispatch area will assit in controlling insects coming in.

Regards

Ajay Shah

Dr Ajay Shah.,
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCE(FE)
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
AAS Food Technology Pty Ltd
www.aasfood.com

Ptinid

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 40 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Pest Management, Angling, Blues. Not necessarily in that order!

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:15 PM

Dear Hygienic

If you are unloading away from the building which is what you say is happening, this means that the doors only need to be opened to allow the goods access. Inflatable bumpers will have no impact here.

You need to be looking more closely at the method of unloading. Whilst it would be expensive initially, it may be more practical to install an air-lock system that allows the goods from the wagon, or perhaps the wagon itself to enter the building, but not the storage or process areas.

If you are able to do this, you may be able to use a combination of EFKs (limited value I'd think - they will never remove all the flies) with Ultra-low volume insecticides. I do not know if these are available in your location, but they can be extremely effective at removing flying insects from a confined space.

Here is a link to a UK distributor of such units.

http://www.killgerm....p.php?group=695

You may be able to get more advise if you post a picture of your loading arrangements.

Edited by Ptinid, 09 March 2011 - 02:16 PM.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:58 PM

Again please excuse my arrogance but what is an EFK?

:doh: I think you mean ignorance

MQA

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 224 posts
  • 132 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Good food, excellent coffee, home sweet home, cherished friendships, valued work, and a fantastic city.

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:38 PM

:doh: I think you mean ignorance

Lol, yes, yes I did. Thanks for bringing it to my attention! :oops:

... helping you achieve food safety & quality assurance...

Melbourne Quality Assurance | Australia
www.melbourneqa.com | janette@melbourneqa.com
Facebook | Twitter

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:20 AM

Dear Hygienic

If you are unloading away from the building which is what you say is happening, this means that the doors only need to be opened to allow the goods access. Inflatable bumpers will have no impact here.

You need to be looking more closely at the method of unloading. Whilst it would be expensive initially, it may be more practical to install an air-lock system that allows the goods from the wagon, or perhaps the wagon itself to enter the building, but not the storage or process areas.

If you are able to do this, you may be able to use a combination of EFKs (limited value I'd think - they will never remove all the flies) with Ultra-low volume insecticides. I do not know if these are available in your location, but they can be extremely effective at removing flying insects from a confined space.

Here is a link to a UK distributor of such units.

http://www.killgerm....p.php?group=695

You may be able to get more advise if you post a picture of your loading arrangements.

Dear Ptinid;

Thanks for your advice , I think I have to get more catalogues with regards ULV , to know exactly the effeciency , or to know it allow to use it in Food premises.
I think Air cuttors one of the best solutions to control Flies accessing .

Regards
Hygienic

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users