• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:08 PM

Hi, everyone I am suni.
Some on can help me to distinguish Corrective action , Preventive action and correction.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Gourav

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 71 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:00 PM

Hi Suni,

CORRECTION
Action to eliminate a detected nonconformity.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Action to eliminate the cause of a detected nonconformity or other undesirable situation.

PREVENTIVE ACTION
Action taken to eliminate the cause of a potential nonconformity or other undesirable potential situation.

Correction and corrective action are taken after the Non-conformity (NC) occured.

Preventive action is the action taken to eliminate the cause of potential non conformity i.e you did not let the NC happen and had enough measures in place to eliminate the cause of NC.

Correction is the action taken once the NC is discovered while corrective action is the action is the action taken on the cause of NC.

Example:-
Pasteurization of Milk: -
Correction - Milk passed through at inadequate temperature. You recirculate that milk and ensure adequate time and temperature for that particular batch of milk.

Corrective Action - You carry out further investigation and find out the flaw in the system which allowed the milk to pass through at inadequate time-temperature. You fix that flaw and take action so that this NC is not repeated. This action is corrective action.

Preventive Action - Had you been identified teh potential situation before this could occur and had system in place not to let milk pass through at inadequate time-temperature is preventive action.

Hope it makes things easier.

Thanks

Gourav

Hi, everyone I am suni.
Some on can help me to distinguish Corrective action , Preventive action and correction.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:22 PM

Dear suni,

The previous post gave some useful general answers to yr (general) query. (ex ISO 9000 / ISO 22000 / ?)

I assume yr question was primarily related to developing a haccp plan.

IMO, “Correction” has no specific meaning other than what is given in a dictionary.

For the other terms, a specific answer to yr queries may depend on the particular haccp system selected, eg based on Codex, NACMCF, or derivatives thereof. Resulting variations may affect the final haccp plan / ccps.

For “Corrective Action” can try this -

Attached File  corrrective action.png   84.79KB   64 downloads

Or, similarly -
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fs142

“Preventive Action” (aka Preventive Measure”) is a terminology which has now seemingly been mostly replaced by “Control Measure” (haccp User’s Manual 1998). Codex (2003) defines control measure as “Any action and activity that can be used to prevent or eliminate a food safety hazard or reduce it to an acceptable level.” (my underline)
Compare the previous definition to that of USA Food Code 1999 –
“Preventive measure means an action to exclude, destroy, eliminate, or reduce a hazard and prevent recontamination through effective means.”
The difference is not insignificant. The 2009 edition no longer contains above statement although some other systems still use it and also incorporate the more general viewpoint within their definition of CCP.

I think (as per previous post) that “Preventive” conveys the “Pro-active” flavour of haccp as compared to more traditional methods having only “Re-active” features. Curiously, some refs describe haccp as being preventive and proactive( ?? :smile: ).

Rgds / Charles.C

PS If you are interested in some examples of applied corrective actions, this might be of interest

Attached File  Examples of CorrectiveActions.pdf   1.95MB   461 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users