- - - - -

jlk

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

Posted 24 May 2011 - 12:59 PM

We are a manufacture of paper based food trays for the ready serve and baking markets. We recently had our Level 3 SQF desk audit and came out of it with several minors. One of them being, we had not shown verification of the training we had done. A lot of this training was completed by a consultant we hired to help us implement the system and most of it was pretty general and basic. We had previously completed some of the more specific job training as we always do when we hire someone for a specific job. Our consultant told us verification can simply be done by watching employees complete certain task and also by asking them some questions over a certain topic. I understand this method, but in reviewing the code and the items our consultant trained all employees on, I'm finding a little disconnect. There were several items our consultant said "ALL" Employees must be trained in (SQF, HACCP, Pest Control) When I started to look at ways I could verify some of the training I dug into the code a little more and I'm having a hard time finding any specifics on "ALL" employee training requirements. For HACCP it states "HACCP training shall be provided for staff involved in developing & maintaining Food Safety & Food Quality Plans." I do not consider the typical employee working on our line to be involved with developing & maintaining these plans, unless "maintaining" is interpreted as "Following". I also do not see a specific requirement for "SQF" Training for all employees. I would consider what our consultant did as more of an Overview of "SQF" and of "HACCP" as well as some other areas, which makes sense for all, but would not require it to be on our training register or be verified.
The code General guidance document states the following (The Food Packaging Guidance Draft does not include the items in purple):
The following programs are considered the minimum required elements for employee training. Type and
depth of training will depend upon the employee’s Work Designation. Minimum Requirements:
• Job/Task Performance
• Company Safety and Quality Policies and Procedures
• Good Manufacturing Practices
• Cleaning and Sanitation procedures
HACCP
• Bio security and Food Defense
• Product Quality and Grading
• Chemical Control
• Hazard Communication
• Blood borne Pathogen
• Emergency Preparedness
• Employee Safety
• Safety Regulatory Requirements/Quality Regulatory Requirements

The guidance doc. states that these are minimum requirements, but it does not specify minimum for all employees. Does anyone have more information regarding what some true minimum training requirements are for all employees (if any)? If you are a few packaging producer, as we are can you following the "Food Packaging Guidance Doc." even though it is considered to be a draft?

Any help or additional info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:16 PM

Any of our members experienced in training requirements for SQF?

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:06 AM

Dear jik,

I am a little confused.

Are we discussing SQF 2000 Guidance
Guidance for Food Sector Category 27 – Food Packing Materials and Distribution
1st Edition JUNE 2010
Attached File  SQF 2000-Guidance-FoodPackaging.pdf   870.49KB   221 downloads

This does not appear to be a draft. Based on the details within section 4.4, it also seems to require haccp procedures.

Just trying to avoid confusion :smile: .

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

jlk

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

Posted 27 May 2011 - 11:40 AM

Charles-

First off, thank you for the updated guidance document, the last time I checked the SQF site I only found the draft of this document.

Yes, you are correct HACCP is required and at the least the SKF Practitioner must be trained and certified in HACCP. My question was in regards to section 6.3 and what the minimum areas of training are for "ALL" employees.

Thanks-

Jason

Dear jik,

Dear jik,

I am a little confused.

Are we discussing SQF 2000 Guidance
Guidance for Food Sector Category 27 – Food Packing Materials and Distribution
1st Edition JUNE 2010
Attached File  SQF 2000-Guidance-FoodPackaging.pdf   870.49KB   221 downloads

This does not appear to be a draft. Based on the details within section 4.4, it also seems to require haccp procedures.

Just trying to avoid confusion :smile: .

Rgds / Charles.C

kmk

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:11 PM

When we complete our annual training we have everyone take a short quiz with each topic of training. I've considered this validation that the employee knows the material that they've been trained on.

hbreedlove3834

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:01 PM

Thanks for this information!! We are preparing for our first SQF audit... and this will be a big help!!

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:02 PM

Hi JIK,

You can conduct a normal Basic Food Safety Training and also a GMP training course for all yopur staff and give them a quiz to test them of the knowledge.

This is what I have been following for over 10 years of SQF 2000...that is from my own experiences

Dr Ajay Shah.,
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCE(FE)
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
AAS Food Technology Pty Ltd
www.aasfood.com

retep

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:33 PM

I have a question regarding this also. In the sqf guide or requirements it doesnt mention anything about using temporary help and the level of safety and haccp training is required for them. I also have a question on the liability of training temporary personnel. If they are trained by their agency using my specifications and materials would it be suitable to fullfill the training requirements. Any help in this matter would be wonderful and thank you in advance.

Thanked by 1 Member:

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:44 PM

Thanks retep, great question!

I'm pretty much in the same boat; lately we've been using a temp agency to fill some positions. Some of them will likely be brought on as permanent, in which case they's obviously be give full induction training, but what's the expected level of training for a temp in the eyes of SQF?

Edited by esquef, 25 October 2011 - 02:44 PM.

retep

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:49 PM

I know it reads all employees but doesnt explain the full scope of "all" employees. If this was the case then even office operations would have to be trained in aspects that do not apply to their job since they make little to no contact with product at any time. I did however figure out a solution that may be feasible to you also esquef. I have contacted the agency folks and informed them of our intent to get our certification and because of that we need to have the people they send over trained with our materials. They then sign a waiver by both the employee and the trainer certifying that the employee has been trained using our materials. I feel this takes a small degree of liability away from us because even if they werent trained it's not our responsibility while we are still fullfilling the minimum requirements for employees trained. I am currently making a power point presentation and trying to keep it to a 30 minute course to fit in all the requirements. I would love to see if this actually does meet the requirements or if I am just spinning my wheels. Any help would be appreciated.

Rich G.

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:25 PM

There are various topics that employees should have, most are for all, others are for job specific tasks/topics.

Good Manufacturing Practices (Personal Practices)
Allergen Management
Chemical Control (including bait awareness under pest control)
Regulatory requirements
Weight and customer requirements
Food Defense/Security
SQF Awareness (not required but useful to inform the employees of what's going on, to guide them in answering the questions the auditor may ask, also is an ideal time to share the policy statement and organizational chart, reporting structure)
Trailer inspections (for those who may load/unload trailers)
Sanitation (for those who sanitize equipment)
HACCP (for those on the HACCP Team and those who monitor CCPs)
Calibration Methods
Internal Auditing

Strait Consulting

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:45 AM

Those topics in the Guidance are a great starting point, but the SQF is not proscriptive here. See 4.1.2.3 that you determine the training needs of your company. As long as it makes sense and you can justify it, you have a lot of flexibility to decide who gets what training.

KarrieC

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:22 PM

4.1.2.5 Job discriptions.  Very helpful for justifiying the training you are providing for each posistion.  From that I assume that "all" employees refers to all employees doing that specific job require the same training.  For example: Warehouse employees-  They unload trailers, store product, pick product and load trailers.  Their training includes cGMP', allergen, chemical control, forklift safety, IA awareness, and a basic course in HACCP.  However production employees who pack product, recive a slightly different training.  they do not go through forklift training but will have a more robust HACCP course. 

Agrumeambu

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:04 PM

Hello !

We sometime use temp agencies to help, since there is a huge shortage of employees in our area. We train them only in a basic version of GMP (Hand washing, etc.) and sanitation if they work in the sanitation team. 

As for our regular employees, we give them GMP, Food defense, and an evacuation plan in case of fire. Then, depending on their job, they get additional training (Metal detector, Reception, Sanitation, etc.)

To test them, we give them a quiz that they have to fill after the training. It can be really easy questions as not everyone has the same education level. 

Have a good day !

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users