Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 44 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 June 2011 - 01:31 PM

Our GMP Policy requires hairnets in all operational areas of the facility, but I'm wondering how other companies handle truck drivers. These are mostly 3rd party, contracted truckers. When they come here to pick up a load, the drivers need to enter our buildings when they sweep out their trucks, etc. and also often use the rest room facilities. It seems very difficult to enforce hairnet use by them. Is it really necessary?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 01 June 2011 - 07:04 PM

No hairnet, no rest room use. Simple as that!

I would type up the rules for drivers and as and when they arrive you give them a copy and get them to sign for receipt; its management’s responsibility to enforce them. It won't be perfect but they'll get it over time. Management shouldn’t shirk tough or uncomfortable discussions or issues. It sets an example to all staff. Rules should apply to production workers, staff, visitors, contractors, drivers. No exceptions. The only way around this for me would be to have an area or marked zone for pick up drivers, but still no rest room without hairnets, jewellery removed etc.

I've learned there's no room for sentiment or pussy footing around if you want good food safety.

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

FOQUS

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 20 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Mauritius
    Mauritius
  • Interests:Nutrition, food safety, swimming, books, Nature walks

Posted 01 June 2011 - 08:14 PM

Totally agree with Simon!

Going to request a client to enforce these rules for truck drivers who is responsible for collecting raw material for delivery to storage areas.

Thought it would go more easily if this is clearly stipulated in the contract agreement with the suppliers of transport service.
In that way these service suppliers will also be liable to ensure their employees abide by your company's rules, if they seriously want to work with you.

Can result in reduced workload for you..

Though I do realise some Management might take some weedling to impose these types of measures on suppliers. but if you want effecient food safety, that's the way to go!

redchariot

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:58 PM

We have coats and harinets just inside a lobby before entering the dispatch bay; they have no excuse then

Lorry drivers in my experience are a difficult species to work with; I have trained the employees to throw lorry drivers out (literally if I could get away with it) if not wearing the proper clothing. After a few confrontations, the drivers are starting to get the message

fstRicky

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

Posted 08 August 2011 - 02:28 AM

We have coats and harinets just inside a lobby before entering the dispatch bay; they have no excuse then

Lorry drivers in my experience are a difficult species to work with; I have trained the employees to throw lorry drivers out (literally if I could get away with it) if not wearing the proper clothing. After a few confrontations, the drivers are starting to get the message

That is the way - got to be tough with them - they consume your product too and need to know from the get go that you are serious baout GMP

Ricky

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:46 PM

One has to lay the law of the town and enforce it. You will see that you will get results once you persevere. It is always hard to change the cultural shift but nothing is impossible!!

Regards

Dr Ajay Shah.,
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCE(FE)
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
AAS Food Technology Pty Ltd
www.aasfood.com

foodsafetyboy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 72 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

Posted 28 August 2011 - 07:14 AM

Our GMP Policy requires hairnets in all operational areas of the facility, but I'm wondering how other companies handle truck drivers. These are mostly 3rd party, contracted truckers. When they come here to pick up a load, the drivers need to enter our buildings when they sweep out their trucks, etc. and also often use the rest room facilities. It seems very difficult to enforce hairnet use by them. Is it really necessary?

@iamjasher

IMO, I would say yes If the drivers are entering places like a food manufacturing area where there are high risk food / any other open food. In such case, I suggest you to have a "Monitoring Visitors SOP" to limit the entry / access of visitors inside your workplace, on that SOP you can define the dress code and other requirements (like where they are allowed to pass) to avoid chances of cross contamination inside your workplace.

Regards / Foodsafetyboy

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:20 AM

The new BRC standard allows for different rules in different areas, however, if you have decided that this is the rule for everyone then fair enough, it's just a question of enforcement.

I would inform all third party companies that this is the rule, as others have suggested, give them something to sign, tell them their staff will be expected to follow the rule and repeat offences will lead to complaints being raised for which they will be charged. Hit 'em where it hurts! In the pocket! Of course it helps if you have CCTV evidence...

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users