Madhatter

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 13 November 2003 - 12:03 PM

Hi

I work for a company that is heading towards BRC category A accreditation. We need fly screens on our fire doors in the production area, as they are open during the summer.
I have looked at various types. I have seen some chain screens made of anodised aluminium. I am wondering if these would be suitable to get through the BRC audit or if the full fly screen doors are required. Anybody got any views regarding this area?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 13 November 2003 - 12:24 PM

Hi Madhatter,

In my opinion as long as the 'chain screens made of anodised aluminium' are well fitted with no gaps (top, bottom or sides) they should be acceptable. They are certainly much cheaper than PVCU fly screen doors.

In the standard it does not specify the type of fly screening just that you should take effective precautions to prevent pest entry. Perhaps you could have an (Electric Fly Killer) EFK positioned near each door (but not visible from the outside). Your pest control contractor can provide you with EFK catch tray analysis and this will indicate whether the chains are being effective.

Besides they'll only be open for a few days a year.
:)

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

rheath

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

Posted 13 November 2003 - 05:24 PM

In the standard it does not specify the type of fly screening just that you should take effective precautions to prevent pest entry.  Perhaps you could have an (Electric Fly Killer) EFK positioned near each door (but not visible from the outside).  Your pest control contractor can provide you with EFK catch tray analysis and this will indicate whether the chains are being effective.

An interpretation I have seen that has been audited, agreed & certificate issued(Category A only) is that the first stage should be to use EFK monitoring - NO SCREENING needed.

If catch tray analysis shows little or no activity then investment in screening in these areas is not needed. Obviously if catch tray analysis shows a problem, then screening will be needed ; at least this gives you about 12 months to plan & budget..

The caveat to this acceptance was that screening should be considered within the long term continual improvement plan.

Unfortunately this interpretation came a couple of years too late and we have rapid roller doors (nice and expensive)..

Regards

Richard

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 13 November 2003 - 09:46 PM

Madhatter,

From what Richard says a precedence has been set - but please don't bank on it working for you. Your auditor may want every orifice sealing with 1 micron gauge stainless steel mesh. It's the age old problem of standards being open to interpretation when the requirements are not specific enough.

Summer and open doors I guarantee you WILL get lot's of casual intruders. That is casual intruders as in, meandering insects and not scallies wearing Fred Perry T-shirts and Hush Puppies. B)

I believe the auditor was wrong in the above case…I mean we can see the flies coming in but we are going give it 6 months till the pest control company tells us we've got a problem - and then we fit the screens.

Unless you have always left your doors open and the catch tray analysis has always been negligible (risk assessment) then I would personally take the preventive approach now and fit the chains screens.

The shiny new chain screens will also provide extra brownie points and an aesthetic diversion from some of your foibles. ;)

You know what these auditors are like…
:ph34r:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Madhatter

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 14 November 2003 - 09:02 AM

Thanks for the info. It helps to get a different view of things.
:wacko:

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 23 December 2003 - 11:26 AM

Hi,

The aroma of sweet smelling juices or food can sometimes be such a significant draw factor that it is almost impossible for "Electric Fly Killers" to work effectively enough to bring the numbers down.

In a particular factory, a proposal to built a top-down light mild steel gate with boogies on a single rail track was built to surround the main open area of the factory. It also had "removable" of 4" x 4" panels that were made of aluminium strengthened with micron-mesh size to block off any entry of flies.

After the gate was put up, analytical evidence from electric fly killer indicated substantial reduction of fly population.

The surrounding compound of the factory had a good clean up with zero presence of food, stains and /or if any present, were immediately removed by the end of the day or perhaps in some cases, on a continual survellance basis.

Not only do you need the support of a good Pest Contractor, internal Good Sanitation Policies and Practices obviously play a major role in determining the level of success in a Pest Control Program.

Each and every pest situation can be very demanding in it's own ways and may call for a dynamic solution to gain effective control over these pests.

There is simply no fix-it-all solution and the above is again just another example of a situation that had to be handled in the manner that was thought ideal.

All the best.

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users