• IFSQN Senior
  • 361 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:53 AM

Hi all:

We have just install a new pressure gauge, do we have to carry out calibration before use it?? In the event of calibration, what we details have to record down on our from about calibration matter ?

psunjka

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 39 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:05 PM

Hi all:

We have just install a new pressure gauge, do we have to carry out calibration before use it?? In the event of calibration, what we details have to record down on our from about calibration matter ?

Hello Carine,

I would give you my opinion on the matter, which may differ from other people's responses, depending on local regulations and even personal opinions.

If the pressure is a factor that can influence food safety and/or quality, then this pressure gage has to be calibrated at a certain frequency recommended by the manufacturer, and using the method described by the manufacturer. And definitely before the first use (installation). You can not consider it already calibrated since it is new. Pressure gages are a bit difficult to calibrate (when you compare them to wall or hand-held thermometers, pH-meters...) and I would ask a measuring and calibration company to do it. Very often, the manufacturer of the equipment would be happy to calibrate the instrument and issue a certificate (for an additional fee of course). I know that this may be costly, but by doing this you show a commitment to your program.

Regarding records, there should be at least three documents: instructions manual (if there is one), written description of the calibration method containing calibration frequency issued by the manufacturer (an email from them, or website printout should suffice), and the calibration certificate itself.

Hope this helps.

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 09 August 2011 - 01:18 PM

What Psunjka has mentioned is fine and I agree with his suggested comments.

Cheers

Dr Ajay Shah.,
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCE(FE)
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
AAS Food Technology Pty Ltd
www.aasfood.com

George @ Safefood 360°

Grade - SIFSQN

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 374 posts
  • 326 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:35 PM

Yes, the guys have this one right. If the gauge plays a role important to the safe production of food then it needs to be calibrated prior to use. It should also be included on a calibration plan.

In terms of documentation your system should address the following:

1. Assessment of risk - how critical is the item of measuring and monitroing to the safe production of food?
2. Calibration Programme - the when, who and how of the calibration requirement. You may also wish to consider tolerances on your calibration results.
3. Records of calibration (Internal and / or external certification)
4. Records of out of calibration results including adjustments made and corrective actions.

George

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV