foodsafetyboy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 72 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

Posted 25 August 2011 - 06:55 AM

Dear All,

I just have a question regarding the handling of frozen stuffs. I know for a fact that frozen temperature should be -18oC.
Question:
What should be the critical limits for same?
I have seen in some texts that it should be -15oC and some -12oC but where should the use of two temperatures be ideal?

Thanks in advance.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:54 PM

Dear All,

I just have a question regarding the handling of frozen stuffs. I know for a fact that frozen temperature should be -18oC.
Question:
What should be the critical limits for same?
I have seen in some texts that it should be -15oC and some -12oC but where should the use of two temperatures be ideal?

Thanks in advance.

Dear foodsafetyboy,

Welcome to the forum :welcome: !

I predict that this may well depend on local regulations.

The current EC regulations AFAIK (1989!) are here-

Attached File  temperatures frozen food (1989).pdf   48.97KB   334 downloads

Idea of content –

The Directive lays down the rules for the quick-freezing, packaging, labelling and inspection of quick-frozen foodstuffs.
Freezing process
Quick-frozen foodstuffs are those subjected to the "quick-freezing" process, in which the temperature zone of maximum crystallisation is spanned as rapidly as possible and the product is then held (after thermal stabilisation) at a temperature of -18°C or lower.
Quick freezing must be carried out promptly, using appropriate technical equipment, on raw materials of sound, genuine and merchantable quality. Only air, nitrogen and carbon dioxide meeting specific purity criteria may be employed as cryogenic media. The purity criteria are set by the Commission.

1. The temperature of quick-frozen foodstuffs must be stable and maintained, at all points in the product, at −18 ºC or lower, with possibly brief upward fluctuations of no more than 3 ºC during transport.
2. However, tolerances in the temperature of the product in accordance with good storage and distribution practice shall be permitted during local distribution and in retail display cabinets subject to the following conditions:
(a) these tolerances shall not exceed 3 ºC;
(b) they may, however reach 6 ºC in retail display cabinets, if and to the extent that the Member States so decide. In that case, the Member States shall select the temperature in the light of stock or
product rotation in the retail trade. They shall inform the Commission of the measures taken and of the grounds for those measures.

(there is further comments)(could not find any more recent directives on the "values")

By inference from the 2 documents below, the result appears to "currently" being typically interpreted as -12degC for a maximum critical limit within the context of the links' specific conditions.
(IMEX, more restrictive criteria are also found in use, eg -14degC, plus settings like -16degC may then also be used as an "operational" limit to avoid corrective actions).

Attached File  HACCP Plan Restaurant.pdf   183.4KB   175 downloads

Attached File  temperature frozen food, fediaf_guide_rev8_en.pdf   539.75KB   204 downloads
(see 7.2f)("minimum" should presumably be maximum)

@ Martinblue - hope you see this which may also "answer" yr question in another recent thread (?) :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

PS personally I would not in any way recommend the values above as a stated routine target for a manufacturing facility's cold store unless you like arguments with auditors. :smile: IMO, (and as evident from the regs) they are intended to allow for inevitable temporary deviations while maintaining food safety (for example air temperatures in cold stores fluctuate during defrosting cycles). Home freezers are probably a nearer correlation to the values being typical. ;)

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:

foodsafetyboy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 72 posts
  • 9 thanks
Neutral

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:54 AM

Dear foodsafetyboy,

Welcome to the forum :welcome: !

I predict that this may well depend on local regulations.

The current EC regulations AFAIK (1989!) are here-

Attached File  temperatures frozen food (1989).pdf   48.97KB   334 downloads

Idea of content –

(there is further comments)(could not find any more recent directives on the "values")

By inference from the 2 documents below, the result appears to "currently" being typically interpreted as -12degC for a maximum critical limit within the context of the links' specific conditions.
(IMEX, more restrictive criteria are also found in use, eg -14degC, plus settings like -16degC may then also be used as an "operational" limit to avoid corrective actions).

Attached File  HACCP Plan Restaurant.pdf   183.4KB   175 downloads

(see 7.2f)("minimum" should presumably be maximum)

@ Martinblue - hope you see this which may also "answer" yr question in another recent thread (?) :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

PS personally I would not in any way recommend the values above as a stated routine target for a manufacturing facility's cold store unless you like arguments with auditors. :smile: IMO, (and as evident from the regs) they are intended to allow for inevitable temporary deviations while maintaining food safety (for example air temperatures in cold stores fluctuate during defrosting cycles). Home freezers are probably a nearer correlation to the values being typical. ;)

Hi Charles,

Thanks very much for this useful information. I now understand where -12 and -15 came from. :)

regards,

foodsafetyboy

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users