• Quick Navigation
Photo

Allergen Storage - would this conform to SQF requirements?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

retep

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:44 PM

Hi everyone. First time posting with a weird question. I am working on my sqf cert for a freight forwarder and was stuck on the allergen section of the guide. Mainly the storage of allergens. I currently have a place designated for allergens in a cooler that also stores cut flowers that are not meant for human consumption. Is this a safe method of storage for allergens since the flowers are not meant for consumption and the allergens are stored in "ready to sell" packaging ?

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:56 PM

Welcome retep,

Can you provide a few details? What are your allergens? What are the dimensions of your cooler? What type of cut flowers are you storing?

Regards,
esquef

Edited by esquef, 21 October 2011 - 03:59 PM.

retep

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 October 2011 - 04:25 PM

The cooler is 1000sq foot and I would guess that the cut flowers take up about 500 sq ft of that area. The cut flowers are various kinds and are all sealed and strapped in boxes. No product is left loose. The only allergens stored in this cooler would be milk product,peanuts,tree nuts, soy , wheat or egg. I already have a a larger cooler designated for fish, shellfish and meat product.

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 12:33 AM

Hi everyone. First time posting with a weird question. I am working on my sqf cert for a freight forwarder and was stuck on the allergen section of the guide. Mainly the storage of allergens. I currently have a place designated for allergens in a cooler that also stores cut flowers that are not meant for human consumption. Is this a safe method of storage for allergens since the flowers are not meant for consumption and the allergens are stored in "ready to sell" packaging ?

I'm not seeing an issue on the surface. But the question from me would be how are you storing the products that contain allergens and do all of these products require refrigeration? Are these sealed items. And for meat, shellfish, and fish how are you storing these items and how do you prevent histamine cross contamination?

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

tsmith7858

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 262 posts
  • 52 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:24 PM

I'm not seeing an issue on the surface. But the question from me would be how are you storing the products that contain allergens and do all of these products require refrigeration? Are these sealed items. And for meat, shellfish, and fish how are you storing these items and how do you prevent histamine cross contamination?

I would agree with GOC. No initial concerns but your overall storage method is not clear. If they are sealed items there is little concern but if the items are not sealed, you start to get more risk.

Are you items stored on racks or shelves? Do you practice like over like? Are your meats, fish and shellfish segragated? How do you use the items (is everything use seperatelty or mixed together in the end)?

There are to many questions to give a definite answer.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users