• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:58 PM

Hello there,

We had a few listeria detection over last few weeks. I see the excessive water usage during our cleaning windows as a potential problems. Our machinery is being cleaned using hose pipes and aerosols deffinitelly not helping the situation. Do you have any experience with different cleaning (dry ice, cold steam...)?:dunno:

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,795 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 November 2011 - 08:04 PM

I have limited experience with steam; not sure how you'd use dry ice though.

Have you considered lowering the pressure of the lances? Also have you got the right nozzles on the ends? Often the information on what lance to use for what chemical is lost and not communicated well. Perhaps you could consider an alcohol based disinfectant stage?

The other thing to consider is identifying the source of the contamination, ensuring drains are cleaned and dosed with hypochlorite tablets on every clean and also any water at the end of the clean is squeegied to drain.

Have you also checked practices as well? Are people chasing that one piece of onion into the drain with a pressure hose???

Last thing I'd think of is your chemical concentrations. Are they correct? Are people cleaning things in the right order as well?

All things to look at IMO before looking at steam cleaners etc.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 November 2011 - 09:24 PM

Dear Sofia,

As per GMO's post, a little more info. might assist -

eg product type, process type , (chemical) type of cleaning / sanitising compounds ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Jim E.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Sports of course.
    Food safety for all things eaten not just what we make.
    Being able to see my kids grow up in healthy environment.

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:15 PM

Where are the listeria findings? On food contact surfaces or surrounding area (walls & doors) and framework? We had the later issue and after observation walls and framework was not getting the same attention on a clean up as food contact surfaces. We also increased the use of sanitizers after the deep clean to include near food contact surfaces.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users