• Quick Navigation
Photo

Should letter of guarantee for suppliers be updated annually?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic
- - - - -

beatlevi

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:55 PM

Hi everyone, I would like to know if I have to ask every year to all my suppliers an update for the letter of guarantee or it depend of the product (ingredients , packaging, etc..

is there a guiding line for that?

Thanks

Beatlevi

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:31 PM

beatlevi,

The way I understand it is that you must have a Supplier Approval pre-requisite program (Section 6.10) in place which defines your company's policy regarding what you do to monitor and assess raw material suppliers, food contact packaging suppliers, and contract service suppliers. I believe that it's up to you (or your QC/QA Manager, SQF Practitioner; whoever writes SQF policy) to state the frequency of reassessments. They could be biannual, annual, every two years..... but whatever your policy is should be defendable (ex. performing a risk assessment on how often a supplier needs to be reassessed) and you have to be doing what you say you do.

According to the SQF 2000 (2008 version) Guidence, the SQF auditor is to verify that your Approved Supplier is current. Most likely the auditor will take one or more raw material(s) and food contact packaging material(s) seen in the warehouse or processing areas and you'll have to show who made them and prove that they're on your current Approved Supplier list.

Regards,
esquef

Thanked by 1 Member:

jose22000

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:56 PM

Beatlevi,

If you can confirm that the first letters of guarantee are related to the same products/ingredients you're using right now, you don't need to ask your suppliers for new ones

BUT! In the new issue 6 of BRC's GSFS the information of the products/ingredientes must be updated at least every three years so think in a new requirement to your suppliers if the letters are quite old

Hoping to be helpful
José

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:58 AM

According to the SQF 2000 (2008 version) Guidence, the SQF auditor is to verify that your Approved Supplier is current. Most likely the auditor will take one or more raw material(s) and food contact packaging material(s) seen in the warehouse or processing areas and you'll have to show who made them and prove that they're on your current Approved Supplier list.

Regards,
esquef

I would suggest a risk-based approach to approving your suppliers... maybe create classifications for risk-levels. I'm not an SQF 2000 user, therefore, not sure if the standard prescribed an annual update. One thing is for sure you should maintain records of the results of evaluations and any necessary actions arising from the evaluation. At the end of the day, you should maintain your controls over the suppliers in accordance to the stated criteria/requirements in your procedure.

Edited by mind over matter, 21 January 2012 - 01:59 AM.

Jim E.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 167 posts
  • 25 thanks
Good

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:Sports of course.
    Food safety for all things eaten not just what we make.
    Being able to see my kids grow up in healthy environment.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

Thanks for putting up this question. We just completed an audit recently and the auditor did require that we have updates annually. Good or bad news we are now converting to the BRC scheme and have conducted risk analysis on our ingredients and material. In our case we now have a 1-3 year policy for updates rated on the risk.
:biggrin:

Edited by Jim E., 23 January 2012 - 11:25 PM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:51 AM

Dear JimE,

auditor did require that we have updates annually

Based on what ? His personal opinion of average supplier reliability ? :smile:

This looks suspiciously similar to items such as official plant water chemical/physical analyses. The (auditor) rule-of-thumb is maybe "when in doubt" make it 1 year, or since last audit, whichever is less".

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

KevinR

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:02 PM

We use 5 year period for LOG's. I see no need to have them updated anymore frequently - as long as the LOG is current, it serves its very limited purpose. Having a piece of paper saying that states they will not sell you non-conforming materials updated with a new date does not decrease the likelihood that you will receive non-conforming materials!

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:23 PM

Dear JimE,

Based on what ? His personal opinion of average supplier reliability ? smile.gif

This looks suspiciously similar to items such as official plant water chemical/physical analyses. The (auditor) rule-of-thumb is maybe "when in doubt" make it 1 year, or since last audit, whichever is less".

Rgds / Charles.C

I agree some just aren't needed that frequently, some are. But surprising how many want it annually!! 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,609 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 03 November 2014 - 06:24 PM

I got a minor last year for this. The Auditor found one LOG that was 6 years old. But he couldn't tell me where it specified how often to renew them. This was under SQF. For ease of audits, I went with 5 years. (smh)

-Setanta         

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users