Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

Hello everyone. Can someone advice me what to do. I was given a task to conduct an audit of accommodations and restaurant operations on board the vessel. My boss developed a special checklist. By special checklist I mean a product of his own mind, not based on any standards like GMP, ISO XXXXX etc. Perhaps it is developed specific to the process. I was hoping I could get some help on how to conduct this type of audit. What are the basic framework for asking questions? Do I have to stick to the current checklist or go beyond by adopting, for example, the basic requirements of GMP on personal hygiene, good house keeping, food hygiene etc?

Thank you so much.

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:22 AM

Hello everyone. Can someone advice me what to do. I was given a task to conduct an audit of accommodations and restaurant operations on board the vessel. My boss developed a special checklist. By special checklist I mean a product of his own mind, not based on any standards like GMP, ISO XXXXX etc. Perhaps it is developed specific to the process. I was hoping I could get some help on how to conduct this type of audit. What are the basic framework for asking questions? Do I have to stick to the current checklist or go beyond by adopting, for example, the basic requirements of GMP on personal hygiene, good house keeping, food hygiene etc?

Thank you so much.

:welcome: to the IFSQNF.

Devil's avocado is my friend. He sent this question to my email and was not sure how to answer it other than to say I really can't do anything about it. So, I invited him to register here.

Any input would be appreciated.

mind over matter

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 369 posts
  • 44 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

I think it is good that audit checklist is developed from an understanding of your organization's requirements and processes. I don't think I should advice you to use checklists that are based on any applicable standards such as GMP, ISO 20000 etc unless your top management wants to adopt them.

You may get some expert advice from other members.

MKRMS

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 57 posts
  • 31 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland
  • Interests:Food microbiology and related fields: conservation, cooking, cooling, re-heating, storage<br />HACCP and food safety management in in small and medium sized businesses<br />EU and international food legislation<br />Food Standards

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:35 AM

It all depends on your boss' or company's objectives, devil's avocado.

An audit needs to be based on a standard - this can be anything from your boss' idea how a well-run vessel should operate to the Government's idea how food safety should be managed to a certification body's idea how they want food safety measures implemented.

I would suggest - do the audit as requested and debrief your boss on your findings. Make suggestions to improve the system afterwards - maybe you'll be heard.

Hope this helps,

MKRMS

MKRMS Food Safety - Be on the FOOD SAFE side!
http://www.mkrms.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,797 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:23 AM

I like your name! Devil's avocado!

As the PP said, it depends on your objectives. What is the point of this audit? To improve standards? To check compliance to your boss' idea of good practice?

Personally I do stray from checklists when I audit but that's only where straying from the checklist helps achieve an overall aim for example to make safe food. So, if I was conducting an audit on pest control but saw a personal hygiene issue, I wouldn't ignore it. That said, if there isn't management commitment in improving GMP standards, even if you do stray from this checklist, you may not have support in improving things.

I suggest therefore, you go back to your manager, ask him his motivations; perhaps suggest a few extra items on the checklist, don't go mad, if you're trying to improve matters, it's often easier to do things in small steps. Then, once you've audited and got that in place for a while, perhaps you could suggest some accreditation to help guide you improve?

In the meantime though I'd stick to legally required stuff as that's non negotiable. Presumably you are audited by government inspectors occasionally? What do they look for? At a guess I would suggest general personal hygiene (are people wearing appropriate clothing and washing hands?) provision of equipment to ensure food safety (e.g. handwash sinks in appropriate places) and temperature control (cooking and chilling).

Thanked by 1 Member:

devil's avocado

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:37 AM

I like your name! Devil's avocado!

As the PP said, it depends on your objectives. What is the point of this audit? To improve standards? To check compliance to your boss' idea of good practice?

Initially, to check compliance to my boss' idea of good practice, but ultimately to improve the process.

Personally I do stray from checklists when I audit but that's only where straying from the checklist helps achieve an overall aim for example to make safe food. So, if I was conducting an audit on pest control but saw a personal hygiene issue, I wouldn't ignore it. That said, if there isn't management commitment in improving GMP standards, even if you do stray from this checklist, you may not have support in improving things.

That could add value, but people might be fearful of audits if I do stray from checklist because of the existing scoring system based on discrepancies.

I suggest therefore, you go back to your manager, ask him his motivations; perhaps suggest a few extra items on the checklist, don't go mad, if you're trying to improve matters, it's often easier to do things in small steps. Then, once you've audited and got that in place for a while, perhaps you could suggest some accreditation to help guide you improve?

Yes, I will do that.

In the meantime though I'd stick to legally required stuff as that's non negotiable. Presumably you are audited by government inspectors occasionally? What do they look for? At a guess I would suggest general personal hygiene (are people wearing appropriate clothing and washing hands?) provision of equipment to ensure food safety (e.g. handwash sinks in appropriate places) and temperature control (cooking and chilling).

General personal hygience at the galley, dining area etc and good house keeping - cleanliness and orderliness of each room (accommodation).

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users