Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 30 January 2003 - 11:30 PM

Driving home from work in the dark today was especially depressing, my feet were still cold even after the 16 mile journey with the heater on full. I was hungry, tired and had had a long and stressful day at work. One chore remained before I could get home and see the family and my dinner. I required a bottle of milk, a simple enough task under normal circumstances.

On entering the supermarket I was immediately struck by the new decor, they'd had an upgrade. The walls were lime green and light blue (quite relaxing), with blinds on the windows, new tills and a customer service come tobacco counter.

Within about 30 seconds I'd retrieved the milk and made a beeline for the customer service come tobacco counter. There was nobody queuing and I always go there when I have one or a maximum of two items (it's my own personal policy).

Unfortunately for me, along with the refurbishment management had implemented a new "Company Policy". Something along the lines of:

a. Tobacco products only till
b. Customer refunds only till
c. Zero Tolerance Approach

The customer service lady said "sorry I can't serve you here you will have to go to the "speed checkout"". The fact that two employees were stood idly chatting whilst their tills stood silent did not matter a jot. It was Company Policy.

It was especially busy for a Thursday and all the checkouts were under pressure the "Speed Checkouts" had queues of at least 10 people - and I reluctantly had to join them. For the next 12 minutes, in-between mumbling obscenities under my breath I watched at least 6 people turned away from a perfectly capable till and pair of hands and directed towards a large queue (I had to watch just in case they served any of them - I needn't have worried though it was zero tolerance at it's finest).

And the sign above the counter said "Customer Service".

Regards,
Simon

Am I in the wrong?

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

mac1

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 12 February 2004 - 10:19 PM

:huh: Sometime ago I went on a customer service course and was told a story of a person that dropped a camera they had just purchased from Boots, the manager replaced it because they had not left the store. The trainer told that story to about 20 delegates and recalled telling the story on many courses before. If each person hearing the story tells 3 more people the story then Boots have had better advertising than they could expect from any media campaign. Your experience demonstrates negative customer service can have an equal and opposite affect, pity you didn't name the store although I suspect your close friends and relatives know it.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 13 February 2004 - 05:21 PM

Hi Mac,

Correct there's no better advertising medium than 'over the garden fence' gossip. Free too.

Do you know I really like Boots and I'm not exactly sure why…it's just a feeling.

Their reward scheme is very generous.

:)
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Puzzle

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 254 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Petrolhead, sleeping, too much food and many other items that are forgotten!!

Posted 13 February 2004 - 07:10 PM

Can't stand Boots nor Woolworths.

They appear to have aisles that are too narrow and it takes an age to get through the checkouts.

I do not have a problem with the products sold.

It has got to the point I wait outside whilst the wife does her bit of shopping in there.

And yet Wilko's is a different kettle of fish. Same cramped aisles but I don't mind the place :mellow:

SAM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 146 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Snowboarding, bruises (due to the snowboarding), reading, films, dancing, music

Posted 25 February 2004 - 11:39 AM

;) One thing about Boots, a lot of people don't seem to know, particularly when they are queing for three miles around the store, you can pay at the make up bits, OK the people who work on these stands tend to look at you as if it is below them to serve you for your can of deodrant and your shampoo, but you get to get out quicker!!

Enjoy stress free shopping!! Buy on the net!! :thumbup:

Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth.
--Mark Twain

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 February 2004 - 12:31 PM

Hi Sam,

I always use the cosmetics counter anyway as I only go in to replenish my stocks of Boots No7 Foundation 'deep orange glow'.

Simon

Attached Files

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users