• Quick Navigation
Photo

New to BRC - BRC Certification, Where should I start?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic
* * * * * 1 votes

sweetthang0286

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

I am new to BRC and wonder if there is a certain place to start. What worked best for ya''ll when you decided to get BRC certified?

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,412 posts
  • 999 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

I am new to BRC and wonder if there is a certain place to start. What worked best for ya''ll when you decided to get BRC certified?

The first thing would be to get a copy of the Standard and read through it.
Make notes where your existing programs, policies, procedures, etc may satisfy the requirements.
Review your existing documentation and revise as necessary so that it does in fact meet the requirements.
Then the fun part starts. Creating new programs, etc to satisfy the remaining requirements.

When the implementation guide comes out (rumored to be in April) get that as well. It should steer you in the right direction when creating programs, etc.

Marshall

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:19 AM

Dear Sweetthang,

It might be useful if you added a little info. regarding yr technical background.

BRC is intrinsically a food safety management project. Are you familiar with the theory / implementation of the core topic of HACCP ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:26 AM

This is how I approached BRC version 6. I got a copy of the standard and copied every clause into a spreadsheet. I then did a quick read through vs. what I knew about our quality management system and worked out where the major gaps were, assigned urgency and responsibility and got that in motion.

My next step was to put together some internal audit sheets for each section of the standard, put together an internal audit plan and get that in motion.

Then basically I worked my way through the audits and the corrective actions and encouraged others to do the same. It took approx 6-7 months to get my management system up to version 6 but then it had previously passed version 5.

Don't be disheartened though, sometimes if you are starting from scratch it's easier. The previous technical manager set up the quality manual in a really strange way here meaning updates are awkward. If you are starting from scratch you will need to have documents of these types:

Manuals
Policies
Procedures
Records
Training
SOPs

And possibly a few more. What I would do if starting from scratch is do a quality manual document which covers the basics only and every time you need to have a procedure or a policy, reference it in the quality manual and hold the document outside of the quality manual as a numbered procedure, policy etc. This makes it easier to update them when the standard updates (which it does every 3 years). Number the sections in your quality manual as the BRC standard is numbered and you'll make your life easier.

Then go through the standard. It basically tells you exactly what to do, there are some areas open to interpretation but it's mostly there. Wherever you see the word "policy" you will need to write a policy. Wherever you see the word "procedure", you will need to write a procedure. Wherever you see the words "risk assessment" or "based on risk", the document must feature some assessment of risk in the basis of your decision making. Basically assume every requirement must be written in a document somewhere.

And then obviously you need to make sure your manual is translated into SOPs and everything is trained out to the shop floor. And that's it. Honestly!

Thanked by 2 Members:

Saurabh

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 24 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:49 PM

I agree with the steps mentioned above. You can also go to this link (http://www.brcglobal...037 8.11.11.pdf ) and download BRC self assesment tool. This is exactly what is mentioned in BRC standards book.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Philips

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya
  • Interests:Reading, sharing with other professionals,driving and a humble drinker

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

Simple. Get the copyof the standard. Put the details clause to clause in an excel work sheet. Do a GAP audit. Tick what you have in place and cross what you dont. Then using the same wording, develop a food safety manual; e.g clause 3.2 document managment; Your compnay name shall develop and ensure all documents in circulation are controlled, legible, be of correct version and readily available at point of application.

Philips

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 49 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya
  • Interests:Reading, sharing with other professionals,driving and a humble drinker

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

Simple. Get the copyof the standard. Put the details clause to clause in an excel work sheet. Do a GAP audit. Tick what you have in place and cross what you dont. Then using the same wording, develop a food safety manual; e.g clause 3.2 document managment; Your compnay name shall develop and ensure all documents in circulation are controlled, legible, be of correct version and readily available at point of application.

ScottN_AMQA

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

Be sure to study and use the glossary in the standard, this is essential to reading the clauses and understanding them.
Then when you have finished going through your GAP audit, made notes, come here and ask questions, there are plenty of experienced people here.

sweetthang0286

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:06 PM

Thank you all for the comments, they are very helpful. This will be my first Audit as I am new to this business. I work for a poultry company and we are getting ready to be certified for the BRC this year.

sweetthang0286

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

Thank you all, your information has been very helpful. I work for a poultry processing company and have only been here since October. So I am definatley new to the business. I just got through with my first Audit (not BRC) yesterday and done very well. We received a 97.7%. So I am looking forward to learning about and acheiving BRC Certification. Any help or advice is very much appreciated. Thanks you so much!

Saurabh

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 24 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

To prepare for BRC, you need to do a GAP analysis. Go to this link http://www.brcglobal...037 8.11.11.pdf. This is a self assessment tool, that you can use for your GAP analysis.

Thank you all, your information has been very helpful. I work for a poultry processing company and have only been here since October. So I am definatley new to the business. I just got through with my first Audit (not BRC) yesterday and done very well. We received a 97.7%. So I am looking forward to learning about and acheiving BRC Certification. Any help or advice is very much appreciated. Thanks you so much!

Thanked by 1 Member:
YSJ

Sheny Karunakaran

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 February 2021 - 07:26 PM

Hi, I am new to BRC audits. Any advice on this would be very helpful. This year we are trying to get out site BRC certified. I am new to my job, just a month old. Would be very appreciable if I could get pointers on how to go about it.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,508 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 02 February 2021 - 07:43 PM

Have you taken some training?  HACCP, BRC implementation etc

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Sheny Karunakaran

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 February 2021 - 08:02 PM

Hi Scampi, I have done bit of training in HACCP. But no training on BRC at all.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users