• 53 posts
  • 27 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland
  • Interests:Quality, Law

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

Dear All,

Could anybody help me to understand can we keep the flours in our warehouse if we are printing the packaging materials for food industries? I am not sure why but we have a few bags with a flours in our warehouse and I am worried about that. Is that could be seen as a contaminating item or allergen in our site?

Thank you for all the advices.

wijit

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:33 PM

There would be a possibility of cross contamination if it is stored close to other ingredients, or primary packaging for products which do not use the flours. I can see no reason why it could be seen as an allergen, as they tend to be quite well defined (ie; nut/crustacean etc).
If you can assure the bags are un-damaged then you should have no real problems. Perhaps storing them in an area separate from the other ingredients may help you?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

Dear Jurate,

Various flours are categorised as food allergens via the gluten content, eg wheat flour.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Jurate

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 27 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

There would be a possibility of cross contamination if it is stored close to other ingredients, or primary packaging for products which do not use the flours. I can see no reason why it could be seen as an allergen, as they tend to be quite well defined (ie; nut/crustacean etc).
If you can assure the bags are un-damaged then you should have no real problems. Perhaps storing them in an area separate from the other ingredients may help you?

Thanks for your msg. What do you think does it mean "separated area"? Do you think it could be cupboard with the closed doors?

Thanks,
Jurate

shea quay

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 180 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

Just out of interest - have you found out why your company are storing mystery flours in the warehouse? This is a bit of an Irish thing, I've found - samples are brought in for potential product development, not used, attract moths and are discovered as being 6 months out of date at audit time.
I've found the rubbish bin to be a particularly effective closed storage area myself...

Thanked by 1 Member:

Jurate

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 27 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

Just out of interest - have you found out why your company are storing mystery flours in the warehouse? This is a bit of an Irish thing, I've found - samples are brought in for potential product development, not used, attract moths and are discovered as being 6 months out of date at audit time.
I've found the rubbish bin to be a particularly effective closed storage area myself...

The Technical Director doing some tests with the flours (I am not sure what the tests, becouse this is not my area). Non of the managers doesnt want to keep the flours in their areas so they moving flours from one place to enother and nobody are able to decide what to do. Yes, the Bin would be great decision for me :)

Thanks for the answer.

Jurate

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:29 PM

Dear shea quay,

No moths but otherwise a brilliant guess, obviously telepathy is another Irish ability :clap: :clap:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users