Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

I work for a company that manufactures food packaging. We are trying to come up with the best ways to regularly clean dust off of the overhead crane rails and off the I beams that support the roof. These surfaces are directly over the machines that produce our product. I would appreciate it if anyone would share how they approach cleaning these surfaces.

Benko

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

I was able to find a local cleaning company that came in and vacuumed off every single beam and crossmember in our shop ceiling. They were able to do it all in a weekend and didn't affect production in the least.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5664 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

Dear filesburgt,

I can remember seeing 2 previous discussions here on similar queries in recent years.

Unfortunately, I think the general conclusion was that (for oneself) "it's difficult" which you know already. Obviously false ceilings and such things alleviate the problem and procedures like previous post but on a frequent basis, hmmm.

Maybe someone has found a solution in the meantime ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

FlesburgT

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

We have already had one estimate from a local cleaning company and it was in excessive of $8,000. We are trying to see if there is a company that maybe makes equipment specific for reaching and cleaning these surfaces on a regular basis.

Benko

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:17 PM

WOW 8k? You must have a much bigger place than we do! Our total ran just over $3000. My only other solution to this was to purchase some of the backpack style vacuums and give some shop employees some extra overtime on the weekends.

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 998 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:17 AM

Nilfisk makes a line of vacuums that have long and relatively light attachment poles and hook brushes that reach most standard 20' ceilings.
While it's not a perfect solution, I've used Unger telescoping poles and run an air hose down the middle of the pole. To that I attach a 3/8 inch curved pipe with holes drilled in it. Attach a hook brush to that and you have an air blow off with some agitation from the brush.

Marshall

FlesburgT

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:44 AM

Nilfisk makes a line of vacuums that have long and relatively light attachment poles and hook brushes that reach most standard 20' ceilings.
While it's not a perfect solution, I've used Unger telescoping poles and run an air hose down the middle of the pole. To that I attach a 3/8 inch curved pipe with holes drilled in it. Attach a hook brush to that and you have an air blow off with some agitation from the brush.

Marshall

I'll look into the Nilfisk vacuums and extensions, but for our purposes we are trying to avoid blowing the dust off. Blowing the dust creates too large of a risk of contaminating our machines used to make the packaging. Thanks!

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

We had ours done recently for a few hundred quid. It shouldn't be costing $8k, if it was, I'd hire a cherry picker once a year and do it myself!

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

Oh and cover the machines while you're doing it. Even if you pay someone they will either be using vacuums or cloths, unless the $8k is magicking the dust away (in which case it would be worth every penny! Posted Image)

Dr Ajay Shah

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 318 posts
  • 106 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:00 AM

I totally agree with GMO. some companies down under either use a cherry picker or scissor lifts and perform the task adequately and much cheaper to hire the equipement and do it yourself.

Dr Ajay Shah.,
BSc (Hons), MSc, PhD, PGCE(FE)
Managing Director & Principal Consultant
AAS Food Technology Pty Ltd
www.aasfood.com

RMAV

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 407 posts
  • 122 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:QA, Micro, Sanitation;
    Meats, Juice, Condiments;
    SQF, Audit, and aviation

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:13 AM

Oh and cover the machines while you're doing it. Even if you pay someone they will either be using vacuums or cloths, unless the $8k is magicking the dust away (in which case it would be worth every penny! Posted Image)

Absolutely! Remember, few contractors are going to do a better cleaning job than you will. Even if they do well, as GMO points out, you're still cleaning up after them.

In the past, I have used scissor lifts and vacuums, then Unger extension poles and brushes/dust cloths for areas we could not reach with vacuums. A new scissor lift can be had for $13,000 US.

rosalind

Grade - Active

• Banned
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India
  • Interests:drawing

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:54 AM

Well, I had call one local company they first vacuums the beam and they also have steam cleaner for steam cleaning. Finally they give me estimate of $50 for one time cleaning. Also gives guarantees of good result.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users