Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

We are an in-line shell egg facility which has no added ingredients ( just cleaning aids) to our process. Are we going to have any policy or procedure for "product development and realization?" Along with this, shelf life trials have been around for years in the industry, I feel it would not be necessary to do a trial for determining "best by" dates or "sell by" dates. Can anyone guide me on this topic.

Thanks!

ballard47osu

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

Egg Safety & Quality Research Unit

United States Department of Agriculture

Agricultural Research Service

Russell Research Center

950 College Station Road

Athens, GA 30605

(706) 546-3131

FAX (706) 546-3035

This is where the research is done with USDA funds, info should be freely accessible and a reliable reference, without having to do actual shelf-life challenges.

Thanked by 1 Member:

dl1888

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:30 PM

Also as I look through this section I noticed a company needs a DOCUMENTED approval process for labels... Can anyone elaborate on what they have done for a documented label approval process?

THANKS!

kmk

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

If this is for an SQF audit; you do not need to have a procedure for this because no product development is done in the processing plant, it's all done at the farm level (SQF 1000). You do have to address this code item by stating that product development is not done in processing.

Documented approval for labels would be the process that you use to make sure your cartons are coming in with the proper artwork. You need to have an artwork book with each label and then some sort of form to use that you can document that you check each load of cartons as they arrive for all the pertinent info. (nutrition panel, size, weight, ect.) Having the artwork in a book to check against makes it much easier for the receiver. All artwork should be pre-approved and this would be part of your supplier approval program.

jenky

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 77 posts
  • 37 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

Our written procedure outlines the process the review and approval of new and revised product labels. We have built in a verification by having at least two individuals sign off on label proofs. Additionally, we have additional verification procedures in our system at the point purchasing (sign off on reprints to ensure the correct version is ordered), incoming (quality inspections to ensure the correct label is received), and at production (online quality checks to ensure the correct label is applied to the package). All of our approvals and verifications are documented with signatures and dates. Records are kept on file in quality or regulatory compliance.

It seems like overkill, but we have over 1000 skus, so keeping track of labels is paramount in our organization. Obviously, in an orperation where there are only a few skus and label revisions do not happen frequently - so many verification checks may not be necessary.

Good luck.

bacon

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 173 posts
  • 77 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:NOAA HACCP & Better Process Control School Certified, GFSI Schemes (BRC/SQF) Certified, Woolworths Quality Assurance (WQA), USDC, FDA, U.S. Army and client audit preparation; Seafood Processing, Supplier Approval

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

Egg Safety & Quality Research Unit

Hello, Thank you ballard47osu.

I have a similar question but pertaining to a produce processing operation and 2.3.1.3 in particular.

i. Handling, storage requirements including the establishment of “use by” or “best before dates”;
ii. Microbiological criteria; and
iii. Consumer preparation, storage and handling requirements.

Is there an industry practice/standard that would determine “use by” or “best before dates”?
Items vary tremendously on harvest, transport, weather conditions, etc. And we only evaluate this on the quality end (We are SQF Level 2).

Therefor, what would support the following on a Level 2 (HACCP + GMPs) level pretty much for cut produce processing?
i. “use by” or “best before dates”;
ii. Microbiological criteria
iii. preparation, storage and handling requirements.

Cheers,
-CB

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

You would be exempted from this item. You will need to write a statement about it and may want to discuss this with your consultant or SQFI in how this is presented to an Auditor for instance.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users