Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

Good day everyone. Our company is planning to self generate nitrogen gas for use as blanket agent in vessels and filling lines (MAP format).
My experience has been for nitrogen to be delivered in liquid form and released / expanded as gas for use in the production line, and each of this
delivery comes with a COA from the supplier. With the plan of self generating the gas, we need to understand how nitrogen gas sampling and testing is being done.

Can anyone here with experience with using self generated nitrogen gas share their experiences?
We are really interested on finding out the processes involved in sampling, testing (on-line and qc related), test equipment involved.

Also equipment use in the laboratory for said sampling and test methods.

Thank you in advance for your replies. Cheers!

Foodie

soriondee

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 June 2021 - 01:46 PM

Hello, did you ever figure this out? We are looking to do the same and have the same questions. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 24 June 2021 - 02:29 PM

My partners work is actually having a nitrogen generator installed as I type

I will ask some questions and see what they will be doing re: testing

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

CBMQA

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 28 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 25 June 2021 - 05:51 AM

Very interested in this topic as well.

In plant nitrogen generation definitely appears to have some good payback instead of purchase of cylinders of food grade nitrogen.

In the end the main cost is the capital equipment, energy and replacement membranes as these are a consumable item (longevity depending upon throughput and purity level required). We have noted however that the purity levels on available systems varies depending upon your final application requirements and budget which in comparison to premade cylinder supplied nitrogen is usually 99.9% purity which is what you receive from the supplier.

I have only ever had experience using a Novatech branded Oxygen & Carbon Dioxide Analyser for food packaging testing with MAP blended gas mixtures. Unfortunately this company doesn't look like they produce a nitrogen food packaging tester so will need to find an alternative type of unit for testing headspace gas.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 June 2021 - 08:44 AM

Needs to be Food Grade which is discussed/elaborated in some detail in previous threads here.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users