• Quick Navigation
Photo

Need guidance on requirements for Beard Nets?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic
- - - - -

tiger

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 17 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

Is there any literature or law on beard net or how long the beard should be to wear beard net?

thanks

Thanked by 1 Member:

shea quay

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 180 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

There is nothing specific in legislation, but customer standards are beginning to crack down on this topic. We use the phrase "beard snoods must be worn after 2 days facial hair growth." Afterall, everyone's facial hair grows at different rates. It has so far not been challanged, and is vague enough to cover the hungover on audit day.

Marshenko

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 284 posts
  • 107 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

There is nothing specific in legislation, but customer standards are beginning to crack down on this topic. We use the phrase "beard snoods must be worn after 2 days facial hair growth." Afterall, everyone's facial hair grows at different rates. It has so far not been challanged, and is vague enough to cover the hungover on audit day.

That sounds pretty reasonable.
I usually tell my guys (and ladies :o) that if you think you have to ask, you need one.

shea quay

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 180 posts
  • 92 thanks
Excellent

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:50 PM

That sounds pretty reasonable.
I usually tell my guys (and ladies :o) that if you think you have to ask, you need one.

Ha ha! Yes, at the risk of being labelled sexist, I will update my programme accordingly!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:07 AM

Dear Tiger,

Yr specific legislation likely depends on where you are however I don’t remember seeing any specific country laws quoted on this forum.

It is maybe of interest that hair is not necessarily considered a safety related contaminant. Some might not agree of course. Eg –

In the terminology of HACCP systems, "hazard" refers to conditions or contaminants in foods that can cause illness or injury. It does not refer to certain other undesirable conditions or contaminants such as insects, hair, filth and spoilage, which would be considered in the context of a broader quality assurance system.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/X2100T/X2100t08.htm

Previous discussions here on this topic hv provided mixed opinions, eg –

http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__44685

http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__43893

BRC6 global food standard contains something like –

7.4 Protective clothing
Employees or visitors to production areas
Suitable company-issued protective clothing shall be worn by employees, contractors
or visitors working in or entering production areas.

7.4.1 The company shall document and communicate to all employees, contractors or visitors the
rules regarding the wearing of protective clothing in specified work areas (e.g. high-care or
low-risk areas). This shall also include policies relating to the wearing of protective clothing
away from the production environment (e.g. removal before entering toilets, use of canteen
and smoking areas).

7.4.2 Protective clothing shall be available that:
- is provided in sufficient numbers for each employee
- is of suitable design to prevent contamination of the product (as a minimum containing no external pockets above the waist or sewn on buttons).
- fully contains all scalp hair to prevent product contamination
- includes snoods for beards and moustaches where required to prevent product contamination.
Etc,etc.(7.4.3 - 7.4.6)

The above text essentially avoids the decision IMO. Most companies prefer to avoid ambiguous hygiene rules IMEX although one can find examples of both approaches in the literature (maybe also related to local legislation) –

Eg, (1) flexible,

Snoods should be provided for use by people with beards and/or moustaches based on risk assessment.

Attached File  kk1 - WQA standard, 2011.pdf   1.1MB   223 downloads
(pg 22)

(2) more rigid –

3. Personnel hair and facial hair shall be fully enclosed within the hair-net cap or facial hair snood while in the processing area.

Attached File  kk2 - haccp manual, 1999.pdf   4.73MB   173 downloads
(pg 3)

Rgds / Charles.C

PS you may find this sort of parallel thread of interest also -

http://www.ifsqn.com...dpost__p__55742

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

tiger

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 17 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:53 PM

thanks guys

Thanked by 1 Member:

BAC

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

We have used a measure 1/8 inch, but who is going to get that close to measure.

We say , if it looks like a beard, it's a beard.

If it's too long to fit in the berard net, it's time for a trim, or find a new job.

Mendeljev

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 53 posts
  • 25 thanks
Neutral

• Belgium
    Belgium

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

I'm not a beard wearer myself, but to my experience : beard hair is not the easiest hair to fall off :)

I think eye brow hair is more risky when it comes to contaminations !!!!

Maybe we should wear the beard snoozes over our eyes ? :)

just a side thought

Quality is not an act, it is a habit.(Aristoteles 384 BC-322 BC)

sadean

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 17 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 12 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

I have not seen any regulatory requirements regarding beard nets. This has always been a topic of discussion as it isn't straight forwards. As others pointed out, there is more risk in having eye lashes or eye brow hair fall out then 2mm long beard hair. If you put a length down, are you going to go around measuring the hair-that would be my concern with putting an actual length down. What about moustaches? I think because it is a difficult subject, most auditors don't question it. If you have someone with a long beard working with product-there is more of a risk to this "contaminating" product, but it is more of an aesthetics issue than food safety concern.

john123

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 103 posts
  • 31 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

We worded our beardnet policy as the following:
· Employeesand visitors shall be clean shaven or shall wear a beard net. This includesperceivable facial hair on the lowerportion of the face or sideburns extending below the earlobe.

We designed it to capture anything truly noticible, didn't want to deal with the issue of arguing what a 1/8th inch beard is or is not...

robertof84

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• El Salvador
    El Salvador

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:12 PM

I own a dairy plant and we produce cheeses the artisan way, therefore hair is one of our problems. Since we use scrubs to clean and sanitize our hand up to the bicep, me are all lacking arm hair (as if we have shaved). Here comes my question. I don't allow facial hair, beard or mostach of any type or length, this is in our company policy for every person who works directly in the plant (office does not apply) so from cheese maker to lab personnel all must be shaved. Is there some kind of law in the US or something avoiding me from asking such a thing? It is my policiy but you know how people get when it comes to freedom of speach, dress, etc. Could I get in trouble with this?

fgjuadi

Grade - PIFSQN

• Banned
  • 898 posts
  • 203 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:59 PM

I own a dairy plant and we produce cheeses the artisan way, therefore hair is one of our problems. Since we use scrubs to clean and sanitize our hand up to the bicep, me are all lacking arm hair (as if we have shaved). Here comes my question. I don't allow facial hair, beard or mostach of any type or length, this is in our company policy for every person who works directly in the plant (office does not apply) so from cheese maker to lab personnel all must be shaved. Is there some kind of law in the US or something avoiding me from asking such a thing? It is my policiy but you know how people get when it comes to freedom of speach, dress, etc. Could I get in trouble with this?

I have had direct reports who I required to be clean shaven.   We fogged with dichlorovous and my guys were the team that cleared the building for entry.  As such, they were required to wear breathing masks, and facial hair impedes the seal. 

This was definitely something HR took into consideration - the job descriptions when posted & acceptance letters included a provision of no facial hair.  Other than notifying an employee that being clean shaven was required to fulfill job duties, there was no extra HR work for being clean shaven.   (Lots of extra blood testing, training,  etc involved on the pesticide release front though)

.--. .- -. - ... / --- .--. - .. --- -. .- .-..

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users