• Quick Navigation
Photo

BRC 4.13.8 - Pest Control Survey, How to Comply?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Bill78

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 30 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Safety, Family, Golf and all things BBQ

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

I have read the 2 previous threads in the forum on this subject and still don't understand what exactly I need for compliance. Looking for insight from those of you in the USA that have had a V6 certification. We contract out Pest Control and have records and trends and all that's needed to comply with all other clauses in 4.13. I just don't want to jump into a bunch of work and costs if we don't need to. Looking for a simple answer. The Pest Control Contractor does have a QA person that comes out annually to check on our program and to see if our service tech is doing his job...perhaps I can get that report.
Thanks for all your help...love this forum!
Posted Image

BRCGS Technical

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 12 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

Hi Bill,

We've had a number of enquiries regarding this clause so I can absolutely understand any lack of clarity you may have. Hopefully the following explanation will clear it up for you and any others that may be having difficulty with this clause:

An in-depth, documented pest control survey shall be completed periodically. These surveys are in addition to the regular inspections (e.g. monthly checks of bait and traps) conducted as part of the pest control programme (clause 4.13.1).

The aim of these surveys is a pro-active, in-depth examination of the pest control activities, to ensure that they remain appropriate and to allow an in-depth assessment of the site and equipment for evidence of activity. It allows an experienced person to examine the controls and the pest activity and, where applicable, recommend improvements to the pest management strategy.

Where stored product insects represent a potential hazard, the visits should be scheduled for a time when access to equipment for inspection purposes is available, for example grain or bulk ingredient silos,so that the greatest value can be gained from the survey.

The review will be completed by a pest control expert – for example, the pest control contractor’s field biologist. The qualifications are not precisely defined as currently there are no internationally recognised pest control qualifications to which the Standard could refer. For example in the UK the level is usually:

· Having an RSPH/BPCA Level 2 certificate in pest control

· passed a field biologists training or equivalent (ie above trained above level 2) orwhere they exist, meet the Country’s legal requirements

· over 2 years practical experience of pest control

· basic training in food hygiene

· be able to demonstrate continuous professional development

The requirements can be completed internally, by an in-house individual providing they have the appropriate experience, skills& training to do so.

Whilst there are advantages in having different individual complete the routine inspections and the in-depth survey, the Standard does not prevent the same person from completing both activities, providing:

· The individual has the appropriate level of experience/qualifications to completethe in-depth study.

· The contract and the outputs clearly show that there are two different types ofvisit – routine inspections clearly distinguished from in-depth surveys.

Typically, this survey is completed quarterly. However,risk assessment may indicate that a different frequency is required. For example, where products are produced seasonally or the pest issues are seasonalin nature, less frequent visits may be appropriate.

The results should be incorporated into the company management review (clause 1.1.3).

This clause applies to all sites, not just those carrying out their own pest control.

I appeciate this is quite a lengthy explanation but as I said I hope it clears it up.

If you need any more information, please let me know.

Thanks,
Tom

Thanked by 6 Members:

Bill78

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 30 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Food Safety, Family, Golf and all things BBQ

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

Thanks Tom for the time you took to clear this up for me.
Much Appreciated!Posted Image

Hi Bill,

We've had a number of enquiries regarding this clause so I can absolutely understand any lack of clarity you may have. Hopefully the following explanation will clear it up for you and any others that may be having difficulty with this clause:

An in-depth, documented pest control survey shall be completed periodically. These surveys are in addition to the regular inspections (e.g. monthly checks of bait and traps) conducted as part of the pest control programme (clause 4.13.1).

The aim of these surveys is a pro-active, in-depth examination of the pest control activities, to ensure that they remain appropriate and to allow an in-depth assessment of the site and equipment for evidence of activity. It allows an experienced person to examine the controls and the pest activity and, where applicable, recommend improvements to the pest management strategy.

Where stored product insects represent a potential hazard, the visits should be scheduled for a time when access to equipment for inspection purposes is available, for example grain or bulk ingredient silos,so that the greatest value can be gained from the survey.

The review will be completed by a pest control expert – for example, the pest control contractor’s field biologist. The qualifications are not precisely defined as currently there are no internationally recognised pest control qualifications to which the Standard could refer. For example in the UK the level is usually:

· Having an RSPH/BPCA Level 2 certificate in pest control

· passed a field biologists training or equivalent (ie above trained above level 2) orwhere they exist, meet the Country’s legal requirements

· over 2 years practical experience of pest control

· basic training in food hygiene

· be able to demonstrate continuous professional development

The requirements can be completed internally, by an in-house individual providing they have the appropriate experience, skills& training to do so.

Whilst there are advantages in having different individual complete the routine inspections and the in-depth survey, the Standard does not prevent the same person from completing both activities, providing:

· The individual has the appropriate level of experience/qualifications to completethe in-depth study.

· The contract and the outputs clearly show that there are two different types ofvisit – routine inspections clearly distinguished from in-depth surveys.

Typically, this survey is completed quarterly. However,risk assessment may indicate that a different frequency is required. For example, where products are produced seasonally or the pest issues are seasonalin nature, less frequent visits may be appropriate.

The results should be incorporated into the company management review (clause 1.1.3).

This clause applies to all sites, not just those carrying out their own pest control.

I appeciate this is quite a lengthy explanation but as I said I hope it clears it up.

If you need any more information, please let me know.

Thanks,
Tom

SaltSafety

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 44 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:02 PM

I have read the 2 previous threads in the forum on this subject and still don't understand what exactly I need for compliance. Looking for insight from those of you in the USA that have had a V6 certification. We contract out Pest Control and have records and trends and all that's needed to comply with all other clauses in 4.13. I just don't want to jump into a bunch of work and costs if we don't need to. Looking for a simple answer. The Pest Control Contractor does have a QA person that comes out annually to check on our program and to see if our service tech is doing his job...perhaps I can get that report.
Posted Image

We have contracted, weekly pest control inspections with additional quarterly reports from the company showing trends. This, along with a long history without infestation prompted us to write a risk assessment indicating that this was adequate and a further survey by the pest control company was not necessary. We had our BRC audit yesterday and the risk assessment was accepted. We scored an A!

Thanked by 1 Member:

Chris @ Safefood 360°

Associate - AIFSQN

• Corporate Sponsor
  • 104 posts
  • 51 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

Posted Image

Hi Bill.
In the EU, I believe it is virtually commonplace to have a contracted field biologist conduct such a visit. In the US, that type of visit can cost you more than the BRC audit depending upon where you shop. I used a Pest Control company and a regional "expert" performed an annual check-up. Electronic data reports were supplied following each visit, routine trend analysis was performed with the PCO, and documentation from the annual expert's visit was provided to the auditor during the V6 audit. That was acceptable. We certified with an "A".
Hope this helps.....
-Chris

KTD

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 264 posts
  • 95 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

My plants (US) have followed programs very similar to SaltSafety's and Chris' - all earned A's with no non-compliances regarding pest coontrol.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:56 PM

Dear All,

Suggesting a polite comment to BRC / UK regarding over-diligence ??

Maybe better to count one's ..... ;)

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users