• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

Hi!

I am working on an SOP for SQF Code 2.3.4 Contract Manufacturers and have a question. If we do not use nor do we ever intend to use a contract manufacturer, do we have to have steps of what we would potentially take to ensure product specifications? Or can we just write an SOP stating that we do not use contract manufacturers?

Thanks for your input,
AA

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

I suppose that it's possible to have a very picky auditor say that you need to have policy and procedures even if you don't have and don'y plan on future use of contract manufacturing, but seein that this is not a Mandatory (M) part of the code I think any reasonabe auditor would "let sleeping dogs lie".

Thanked by 1 Member:

tery

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 24 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:58 PM

My company is on the way for SQF certification. We do use packaging contract manufacturer that is not SQF certified.

QA manager audited Co-manufacturer upon initial approval. Co-manufacturer provided evidence that have all pre-requisite programs and HACCP plan in place. In addition, our co-manufacturer undergoes 3-rd party announced GMP audit and provides certificate annually.

Every lot of co-manufactured product is shipped to us and inspected by QA prior to releasing to customers.

Will all the above be sufficient to meet the requirements of the SQF code.

I would appreciate any thought on the topic , and/or procedure/template that covers co-manufacturer control.

Thank you

Snookie

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,625 posts
  • 267 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:26 PM

In several companies we didn't use contract manufacturers and did not have an SOP saying we don't use them.  It was not an issue for the SQF auditors.  On the audit it was treated as N/A as is it did not apply. 

Posted Image
Live Long & Prosper

makkawi

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Sudan
    Sudan

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

Many thank

veruca

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 54 posts
  • 5 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

In the same line, what constitutes a contract manufacturer? The companies that manufacture the wrap/primary packaging? A company that supplies another piece in a kit? I have these as vendors now. They are supplying us a product we use for the finished good. Otherwise we do not use contract manufacturers and could NA this on our part.

Setanta

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,610 posts
  • 371 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading: historical fiction, fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Movies
    Gardening
    Birding

Posted 29 July 2014 - 03:22 PM

It is my belief that Contract Manufacturers would be someone that you have making product similar to what your facility is running.

-Setanta         

esquef

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 374 posts
  • 235 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

My company is on the way for SQF certification. We do use packaging contract manufacturer that is not SQF certified.

QA manager audited Co-manufacturer upon initial approval. Co-manufacturer provided evidence that have all pre-requisite programs and HACCP plan in place. In addition, our co-manufacturer undergoes 3-rd party announced GMP audit and provides certificate annually.

Every lot of co-manufactured product is shipped to us and inspected by QA prior to releasing to customers.

I would appreciate any thought on the topic , and/or procedure/template that covers co-manufacturer control.

Thank you

Your company needs to verify that even though your co-packer is not SQF (or any other GFSI recognised scheme) certified, that they essentially meet the standards for food safety (and food quality for SQF Level 3) mandated by the GFSI. This would include management committment, mock recalls, food security, training, etc.  

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:56 AM

In the same line, what constitutes a contract manufacturer? The companies that manufacture the wrap/primary packaging? A company that supplies another piece in a kit? I have these as vendors now. They are supplying us a product we use for the finished good. Otherwise we do not use contract manufacturers and could NA this on our part.

SQF Code Glossary of Terms - Contract Manufacturer (or co-man, comanufacturer) - 'Facilities that are contracted by the SQF certified supplier to produce, process, pack and/or store part of or all of one or more products included in the supplier’s SQF scope of certification'.

Hi!

I am working on an SOP for SQF Code 2.3.4 Contract Manufacturers and have a question. If we do not use nor do we ever intend to use a contract manufacturer, do we have to have steps of what we would potentially take to ensure product specifications? Or can we just write an SOP stating that we do not use contract manufacturers?

Thanks for your input,
AA

As Snookie and Esquef have indicated it is unlikely to be picked up as an issue. I would add a one liner to my system stating that you didn't use contract manufacturers.

Thank you

SQF Code 2.3.4.2 - 'The supplier shall: i Verify compliance with the SQF Code and that all customer requirements are being met at all times.'

SQF Guidance - 'Whatever the situation, any contract facility used to manufacture, in part or in whole, an SQF certified product MUST fulfill the same requirements as the SQF certified supplier. The responsibility for ensuring that these conditions are met is part of the primary supplier’s SQF System.
The supplier may simply require the contract manufacturer themselves to be independently SQF certified, or may choose to control the conditions in the contract facility via sampling, testing, inspections and internal auditing. In the latter case, a verification schedule, including a sampling plan and internal audit procedure must be included'.

So you have to decide if all the measures you have in place ensure that your contract manufacturer complies with the SQF Code. It seems to me that you do although I don't understand why your auditor didn't audit against the requirements of the SQF Code in the first place. Secondly how long ago was the initial approval? Depending on volume I would expect to see annual audits of a contract manufacturer.

Regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users